EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Motorcycle lifts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motorcycle lifts

Since us Evo guys love to work on our bikes, I've been looking at puchasing a lift for my Ultra. I looked on Harbor Freight's website and they have an aluminum cycle lift by Central Hydraulics for $169.99. The other one is a red table lift with a foot pump for $499.99. Does anyone out there have either of these lifts, and if so, how do you like them?? It's not as easy for me to crawl around on the floor as it used to be. lol.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM
cowboy0707
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one of the Harbor Freight steel lifts years back when I had a much smaller bike. I'm still using it, but I'm not real comfortable using a $100 lift for a $18000 bike. I'm planning on picking up a Pit Bull lift this summer. End of worries.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,364 Posts

I have one of the HF hydraulic lifts. Keep in mind that it is a lift, for lifting, not for raising something way up in the air for heavy duty wrenching. I welded an extra stop on mine so I can raise the bike level with it and lock it there, with the wheels still on the ground. That way it's stable and level and I can work on the left side easy. I still use my old home made bar-over bike lift most of the time.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM
JimMA
Intermediate

I have the red table lift with the foot pump, though I think I paid $375.00 3-4 years ago. It works fine for my Road King and some smaller bikes. I have (err... request), the wife stand at the front and crank the clamp on the front wheel when I drive it up on the table. I have been thinking of making some wood boxes/ramps, the same height as the table at that point, to put on either side to allow me a wider stance to manage the bike better. I can put the smaller bikes on it by myself, but the RK is too heavy to gamble with.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Panthers65
Tourer

wait until the harbor freight table lift goes on sale, i think I picked mine up for sub-$300 with a 20% coupon. Immediately throw the cheap clamp away that comes with it and mount one of their wheel chocks (http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html)

I can mount both my Dyna and my dad's bagger by myself no problem.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 PM
topfuel7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a used red harbor freight table lift for 200 bucks a while back. Do not see how I went this long without it. The only weak reviews I read was the poor grease fittings and the lift going down to fast. Well they must have updated the lift because mine has regular screw in grease fittings and mine goes down very slow. Will barely go down at all without a bike on it and the guy said he done no modifications to it.

This wheel clamp will hold a bike but I wouldn't trust it. I believe the wheel clamp on this lift is just there to keep the tire from turning. Which it does that very well and even the good quality clamps have been known to drop a bike or two when people rely soley on the clamp and no straps. I use soft ties on the bars and ratchet straps. I cut the bottom part of the S hook off tof he strap and bolt the hoop that is left on the strap directly to the eye hooks on the table.

I set it all up before I put the bike on the lift. I adjust the wheel clamp to were it is barely wider than the tire so the wheel can not turn. I then put my soft ties on the bars and set the straps up to where I just reach down and hook them up once the bike is on the table. Very simple. Once the bike is secure I usually throw a jack under it and put enough pressure to hold the bike then I loosen the clamps off. Unless I am going to be working under the belly. Then I just leave the straps on it. The jack will hold the bike and I leave the straps on but loose just incase. When I get ready to take it down I can just tighten the straps back up as the jack relieves pressure.

Last edited by topfuel7; 05-10-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

A couple of years ago I bought Harbor freights yellow jack and it worked ok but I recently bought a jack from J&S Jacks. It is by far a much better jack. When I put my bike on it the first time the stability of it amazed me.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 PM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the full bike lift not the center lift. You will be very glad you did. I have the Harbor Freight lift with the air assist and the better chock. Best purchase I ever made.....

Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Bought mine from Sears,on sale,had it shipped to the local store so there wasn't any frieght.Also,just looked on Ebay,I think there was 9 pages under "motorcycle lifts"

Old 05-14-2011, 04:01 PM
classof96
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the HF red table. So far so good just got it last fall. I did what JimMa mentioned. Took 2 2x10's and put some blocks with a 4x4 and 1x2 under them which makes them level with ramp when lowered. You can then ride up ramps with your feet at ramp level.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle lifts