EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dyna long oil filter question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Dyna long oil filter question.

If some of you guys remember, I went threw a long charging system saga this last year. As a result I got an entire new charging system installed by my local Indy. Part of his repair included installing a short Softail oil filter as opposed to the long Dyna style the bike comes with. I have since found out that he felt much of my issues stemmed from the plug on the case shorting out. He seems to feel that the reason for the failure was in part due to the fact that every time you change a long filter on a Dyna you smash up the plug with the filter wrench. Each time a little more than the last time, till it fails.

Anyways, I am going to change my oil again. I have EIGHT of these chrome long Dyna filters in the garage. So here are my questions:

1. Do you buy this argument that long filters over time will wreck the plug and eventually cause a short?

2. How much if any benefit do you really get with the longer filter? More oil and better cooling.... or no difference at all?

3. From a pressure and micron standpoint, are the Softail filters ANY different from the Dyna's? Same parts per million, same back pressure ect....

4. What year/model/part number Softail filter do I want if I pick the Softail route?

I can put all eight long filters on ebay and probably get most of my money back so its not really a money issue, I just am looking down the road and don't want to get stranded on the road again with a wasted charging system any more than a burnt up engine. Please advise

Last edited by bikerlaw; 02-03-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,794 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Do you hit the plug with the filter wrench? Can you avoid doing that? If you can avoid hitting the plug, then use what you have. You can also just pound a big screwdriver though the old filter and use that as a handle to get it loose, instead of whatever filter wrench you're using. I have just about given up on oil filter wrenches, but the band type that goes on the end of a socket works for Evo sized ones.

As for the filter itself, if every other Evo except the dyna uses the shorter filter, then I really don't see a problem with a dyna using the shorter filter. In fact, I'm surprised you can even find the longer ones chrome plated and for the dyna specifically.

If you want a better (in my opinion) filter, go to a Toyota dealer and get one for a 22R motor, like a 1986 4 cyl 2.4L Truck. If you want the longer filter, same size as what you are using now, then get the one for a LS400, (1UZFE) like for a 1999 LS400. They are already black and only about 5 bucks. Otherwise, there's only one other type of HD filter, and they fit all the Evos so it isn't a "softail only" filter.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I gave up on all the various tools for removing oil filters about 20 years ago. I have a very large evil screw-driver and an 'eavy 'ammer. Works first time every time! I'd stay with what you have in stock.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I cut half of the filter wrench and usd that Also I used one of those strap wrenches and go around that filter before that I use tin foil and put that behind the filter and let the oil run into the pan no mess on the motor

Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Looks like as the bike is set up now, I am stuck with the short filter. For whatever reason, the Accel plug sits up higher than the stock plug. I wiggled and finagled it all I could but no matter what I did it made contact with the long filter, as you can see in the pictures below. Maybe if my Indy had used all MOCO stuff when he did the stator we would not be having this conversation. But he didn't, he used Accel. So at least as long as this stator lasts, I have to run the Softail filter. Oh well.

Filters side by side:

Short filter installed:

Long filter installed:

edit: Any one want to buy seven brand new Dyna long oil filters???? It was eight filters, but this experiment caused me to open and screw one on, so its no longer a new filter.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 02-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the longer filter. It holds more oil and puts more surface area in the airstream.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I friend of mine bought an oil cooler that goes between the filter and the oil filter mount. His filter touched the stator plug because of this. He as been riding his bike for years with that setup with no issues. He says it is insurance against the stator plug working it's self loose.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Part of the problem is the plug is sticking out farther than it should. Oh and the nylock nut on your shifter really isn't doing much, the bolt should be all the way through.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah, I agree with everything you guys have said. I would like the longer filter, I would like more oil, and the plug is sticking out too far. But without pulling the primary, I think I am stuck. I got a great deal on a dozen short chrome filters on ebay, so I guess until I pull that primary apart thats where she will be for a while. I guess I have no reason what so ever to not install an oil cooler now. (lol) Yeah, this kind of pisses me off, but at some point me or some one is gonna break into that primary, and when I do I'm gonna fix that damn plug. Hell, I still have my 65 tooth sprocket just waiting for a reason to go on. Now I got a great reason to pull the primary apart.

mia, yeah. Good eye. Red locktite is my friend!!!

Last edited by bikerlaw; 02-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Loctite is every Harley owners friend!!!!

Quick Reply: Dyna long oil filter question.