EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:30 PM
wild_one
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from engine

Hi everyone. hope im not being paranoid here, but I was wondering if you should be able to hear lifter/pushrod noise under load on a 94 flstc with about 44k miles? Not to sure what info you guru's would want but i would be happy to get whatever you would need. Thanks in advance for any help

wild

Last edited by wild_one; 08-04-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

At 44,000 I would be changing out the weak INA cam bearing for a good Torrington if it hasn't already been done. Probably about time for lifters also. Not sure when they changed to the good lifters. Some seem to go a long time, and others not so long. I changed mine out at around 20,000, and the bearing still looked good.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:49 PM
wild_one
Advanced

Sounds like some good information. Dont know where to start looking for the bearing, lifters or pushrods. Any good places/brands to look for? I think the carb is stock but it does have v&h longshots. Anything else I should look at?

wild

Old 08-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 453 Likes on 258 Posts

Parts4powertoys have forged lifters for your bike...Highly recommended and the bearing is available from your dealership but specify the torrington "full complement" bearing, it has no cage, its just packed full of rollers.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 AM
wild_one
Advanced

Ok, thx spanner39, I think I found the correct lifters (will call them on monday) and Ill call the dealership this week for the bearing. Any clue on pushrods? I guess if im going to replace the cam bearing im assuming the cam has to come out should I replace the cam as well? Im really happy with the way the bike runs now and not sure i need anything wild any good suggestions? I may change to the s&s carb this winter so a little mild on the cam might not hurt...

wild

Old 08-05-2012, 06:10 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A little extra cam pep never hurts. I put a HQ RumbleStick in mine along with Andrews quick installs. There will probably be suggestions like Andrews cam as well. If you have a Harley mechanic you trust it would be in your best interest to have him do the work, and I say this only because of the cam bearing R&R.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,594 Likes on 3,079 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
A little extra cam pep never hurts. I put a HQ RumbleStick in mine along with Andrews quick installs. There will probably be suggestions like Andrews cam as well. If you have a Harley mechanic you trust it would be in your best interest to have him do the work, and I say this only because of the cam bearing R&R.
Good advice, and to put things in order, have a mechanic listen to your motor before spending $$$. When I first read your post about noise " under load," the first thing that came to mind was pinging on cheap fuel.

We can't hear what you're talking about, but the local guy can.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,090 Posts

You might also try cleaning the lifter filter.

Have 89,000 miles on original everything. Including INA cam bearing and lifters. No noise and still runs great.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. I lost a lifter on my '94 FLSTN at 46,000 miles (needle bearings in the roller failed) and consequential damage ended up costing me the motor. The '94 has the old style tappet rollers (small axle and separate inner race). The "B revision" lifters, which replaced them a couple of years later, have an improved design with a larger axle and no separate inner race. I think the revised Harley lifters are as good as anything you can find in the aftermarket.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

I used Harley quick install pushrods in mine, and they worked well and are quiet. I left the stock cam in mine also. It runs very well, and I have read on here where most of the after market cams are noisy. If it was mine I would go ahead and change the bearing and the lifters just for peace of mind. I got the Jims Tools off of ebay to remove and install the bearing, and it is really a fairly straightforward job. It took me a little over a day, but I am slow, and this was my first time to do this. I have put 15,000 on it since, and it runs great and is quiet.

Quick Reply: Noise from engine