EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Thinking about buying an 85 FXWG project

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:27 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thinking about buying an 85 FXWG project

I found a deal on a 1985 Wide Glide that has been sitting for over a year. It's a project but it's complete. The motor kicks over as it should but won't start due to old fuel and a dead battery. Before I take the plunge on this rebuild I'd like y'all's opinion on the issues that this specific bike may have had and what to look out for. Thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,350 Posts

That's a pretty good bike. Lifters are a bit weak, but they all are. Clutch finger can go out, so carry a spare. I think the primary is dry on that one too. Stock carb is a POS and should be replaced with an S&S or Mikuni.

HD had to make that bike right or go bankrupt, so they tried pretty hard.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:16 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
That's a pretty good bike. Lifters are a bit weak, but they all are. Clutch finger can go out, so carry a spare. I think the primary is dry on that one too. Stock carb is a POS and should be replaced with an S&S or Mikuni. HD had to make that bike right or go bankrupt, so they tried pretty hard.
Thanks for the input, it's got an S&S Super E carb on it so that takes care of the that issue. As far as the owner knows, no engine work has been done. It looks like it was someone's pride and joy early on but it's been left neglected outdoors for quite a while.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:23 PM
Capo
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You'll find that exhaust systems are hard to find and seats are near to impossible to locate but I love my 85 FXWG.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Here are some pics from the craigslist post. It looks MUCH better in the pics than it really is but he only wants 4 grand for it. Those bags and wheels will be the first to go

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about buying an 85 FXWG project-image-259193395.jpg   Thinking about buying an 85 FXWG project-image-3481919774.jpg  
Old 05-31-2014, 03:02 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,336 Likes on 5,427 Posts

If it runs can't go wrong at 4k. My 84 had those exact wheels when I bought it...put them on CL for $400 and not a call one. IMO the biggest problem with that bike is the rotatory top 4 speed...it is a POS, and not as many quality parts available for it as the earlier 4 speeds. The true fix is a 5 speed in a 4 speed case...which would wind up costing at least half what you paid for the bike.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
If it runs can't go wrong at 4k. My 84 had those exact wheels when I bought it...put them on CL for $400 and not a call one. IMO the biggest problem with that bike is the rotatory top 4 speed...it is a POS, and not as many quality parts available for it as the earlier 4 speeds. The true fix is a 5 speed in a 4 speed case...which would wind up costing at least half what you paid for the bike.
Yeah , I've dealt with the cowpie trans. I had one on my old shovel. The if it runs thing is what's questionable. Feels good when turning over with the kicker but it's going to need some work to get it to fire off.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:18 PM
Kees
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailbreaker
Yeah , I've dealt with the cowpie trans. I had one on my old shovel. The if it runs thing is what's questionable. Feels good when turning over with the kicker but it's going to need some work to get it to fire off.
Ask the owner if you could take a tin of gas ...charged battery, I wouldn't take a gamble without hearing it run...but that's just me. Good luck, that's a cheap bike, I wish they were that cheap here in NZ.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kees
Ask the owner if you could take a tin of gas ...charged battery, I wouldn't take a gamble without hearing it run...but that's just me. Good luck, that's a cheap bike, I wish they were that cheap here in NZ.
He already said I could bring over a battery, it still may take some work to get it running. For the money I'm confident I get her back on the road for a reasonable amount

Old 05-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Oh yeah, 4 speed. Clutch finger is not a problem. Throw out bearing can be. Replace with earlier one that is like 6x as big. The rubber isolators that hold up the oil tank and battery are a PITA. Replace them all at once. I think someone came out with ones that have a huge spring through them instead of just the rubber. For four large, I'd want to hear it fire.

Friend of mine in Texas has a Evo based hard tail chopper. Not a OCC style, an old-school style, as he's old school and built it himself. HD motor, not aftermarket. He want 6 large for it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an 85 FXWG project