Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Another DEAD Ultra!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:56 PM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Another DEAD Ultra!

Hey guys.. (TC, HDwrench, etc) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [8D]

Last night I took the tank off of my '94 Ultra to clean it up real good. (Had a fuel spill from the fuel level sending unit a couple of weeks ago)..

Anyway, after taking everything off, and getting everything clean, I replaced everything; the fuel lines, and what I think is the Vacuum hose (at the Petcock).. Turned the Petcock to On, and fired up the bike..

Well... Kinda!

To make the story have a short ending; it won't start!!! It turns over, HAS coughed like twice, smells like gas, AND backfired once.. (Ear is still ringing!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I should mention that I have not checked for spark.. Sorry, this ended up being like a 1am thing, and didn't want to fool with that much 'tricity at that time in the morning.. [X(]

I hope to have some answers so that when I get home at 4pm CST I can have something to do on it.. [&:]

-NFE

Old 09-15-2005, 04:07 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Another DEAD Ultra!

Sounds like you took the tank completely off, I would recheck all the plugs on the harnesses that lead to the tank and other obvious things in that area that could have been disconnected in the process, or possible crushed and grounded also

Check for the spark and also to see if you are really getting fuel to the carb ( I assume it's a carb being a 94)

Let us know what you find or if you get stumped, what results you find in detail.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:25 PM
nfe
Tourer

Thanks TC.. I just got off of the phone with a tech here.. I have to ask you a question??? Do these things have a fuel pump???? I'm sorry for being stupid, but could this have something to do with what I think is a vacuum line to the back of the Petcock???

-G

Old 09-15-2005, 08:13 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

If it is fuel injected, which I doubt, it has a fuel pump, if it is carbed it does not have a fuel pump.The line vac. on the the petcock shuts off the fuel when the engine shuts off from lack of vac. to keep it open. It the valve goes bad , you will get no fuel flow to the engine and it will not run.
Try drawing a vacuum on the petcock line and see if you get flow through the fuel line.

TAKE A LOOK HERE https://www.hdforums.com/m_117070/mp.../tm.htm#117070

and... https://www.hdforums.com/m_117077/tm.htm

Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 AM
nfe
Tourer

Thanks a TON TC.. I will try that if what I found out tonight doesn't fix it.. (I have not put it totally back together as of yet, and I'm going to bed.. It's midnight:thirty and I'm tired!!)

But what I found made me as mad as it not starting.. I checked the coil from the right side of the bike, but mainly checked the system wires, not the plug wires. 1 was loose, and the other was disconnected, but the rubber was still on.. Didn't even check, and that would have fixed the whole thing!!!

Oh, well... Thanks for all of the info, I will check the vacuum next if I cannot start it in the morning!

-NFE

P.S. I have a carb'd model, didn't think it had a fuel pump.. [&:]