Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

white soot inside pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Randall
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default white soot inside pipes

I have a 2005 road king custom with screamin eagle intake, stock ecm, vance and hines fuel pack, and drag specialties boom cans.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I put about 700 miles on since i got the boom can slip ons and the bike seems to have been running okay.&nbsp\\; checked the plugs regularily and they seemed a nice tan color as i would like to see.&nbsp\\; just tonight i noticed that i have a white powdery residue inside my right side pipe.&nbsp\\; never have seen it before&nbsp\\;and sure i would have noticed it had it been there.&nbsp\\; I just filled up my tank the other night with 110 octane fuel for ***** and giggles.&nbsp\\; mixed about 50/50 with 92 octane fuel. anyone know if that would cause the residue or soot?&nbsp\\; the bike has always popped on decel with the boom cans, but not horribly and it seemed slightly worse after i put the 110 octane in it.&nbsp\\; I always was under the impression that higher octane fuel the better.&nbsp\\; is this not the case in a stock build?&nbsp\\; I havent been able to pull the plugs to check for lean burn but am a little nervous.&nbsp\\; wont be able to do any looking for a while so i hoped someone could maybe ease my tension about this situation.&nbsp\\; thank you in advance just for taking the time to read my long @ss post.
-Randall

Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 AM
dsvracer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: white soot inside pipes

Higher octane fuel is more oxegenated and requires a bigger jet to compensate. What your bike/exhaust is telling you is that she is a little lean. If you want to mix in some better fuel it's good but I would recommend 1 gallon in 5 gallon of 92 octane.&nbsp\\; You shouldn't have any problems if you only run it once in awhile but if you run it all the time make the fuel adjustment.&nbsp\\; good luck&nbsp\\; dsv

Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Randall
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: white soot inside pipes

thanks dsvracer, i was hoping someone would confirm my suspicion of the fuel.&nbsp\\; glad its not something else.&nbsp\\; i appreciate your response.