Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Leaking oil!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 05:56 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leaking oil!!!

My '07 Ultra has developed an oil leak. I was absolutely shocked to see it. It appears to be coming out between the oil pan and the engine case. I can wipe it off and it will drip a few drops while sitting overnight. What would cause this? It started just after I returned from the fall beach rally in SC. I rode it pretty hard on the way home but it shouldn't have caused an oil leak. Is there a gasket that can be replaced?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Frist, make sure that your level is normal ( not overfilled).

To find the source of a leak, spray the area with foot powder- the white powder will show where the seep is.

IF there is a problem, there is a seal at the oil pan.

IF you are going to be changing that, Baker Drive has a replacement oil pan which;

has increased capacity ( better for cooling)

has internal baffles and relocated internal pick ups and passages ( so that the hot oil being dumped in has to cool before it is picked up and recirculated

has mounts for their suspension stiffening system

saw the product at Sturgis and it looks pretty nifty. Pricey but a great addition if you will be keeping the bike a long time.

I think it behind H-D's recent redesign of the internal of their oil pans.

Do make sure that the source of the oil isn't the air cleaner, blow by can collect in there and drip down, esp with bike leaning on stand.

- Harley Widows over the years have seen their baking pans disappear to the garage....

mike