Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:51 PM
springer3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

louk louk dam i would trash the motor in a shipping case send it to me and get new motor!!! Not really that is the norm ride it 500 miles change oil and remember its not broke in until 1000 maybe a little under depending on what pistons brand you put in..
Dont keep it at a constant rpm during brake in...aslo hold you hand on motor and dont ride until you feel the heat in top of motor,, this will save the base gaskets..
Springer
texashogtrailz.com

Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 AM
hilal jannoun
3rd Gear

so springer3 what i understand from u is that the noise will go gradually while break through??i put original hd pistons too

Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM
str8jacket
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone told you that a refreshed top end makes noise until it's broken in? If that was true, brand new motors would make noise until they're broken in.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,521 Posts

"Broken in" means that the rings have seated. If properly broken in, the rings will seat in 100 miles or less. Whatever noises the engine is making now, it will make when at 500 miles, 1000 miles, 5000 miles or until you tear it down again.

If the noise is from the valve train, you may be able to minimze by re-adjusting valves.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
springer3
Tourer

like for instance kb pistons break in in about 50 to 100 miles and the tolerance is tighter then factory,,as the engine loosens up it will change its sound,,not alot but a little.If its a big noise i would let someone look at it.the noise i think you are hearing is it being tight!! Some other brands of pistons are not as tight and u might have what is a little bit of a piston slap not saying you do just saying the deal between to types of pistons or compression in a motor. the noise that you say you hear sound like a chug that is pushing around in the motor which will go away as it breaks in..But there is no way to know for sure cause it is just words you put down and i interpit...
Like for example if you went from 9-1 flat top pistons to 10:5-1 piston and was running re unleaded you would hear a ping ping and would need to go up in octane to stop the ping ping.. There is really no way to know what you are hearing until i hear it or you go let someone that knows hear it and i dont mean take it to Harley cause they dont know much of anything i would take it to the machine shop you had the work done and let them listen..
Also everyone has an opion right or wrong and if the motor sounded the same at 100 miles or 1000s or 20000 miles then why does a new motor sound so crisp and tight at first star up!!!!
But you just spent alo of money and dont want it to be wasted so my first ride or trailor trip would be to someone who know for sure!!!!!

Old 03-25-2012, 12:05 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by springer3
like for instance kb pistons break in in about 50 to 100 miles and the tolerance is tighter then factory,,as the engine loosens up it will change its sound,,not alot but a little.If its a big noise i would let someone look at it.the noise i think you are hearing is it being tight!! Some other brands of pistons are not as tight and u might have what is a little bit of a piston slap not saying you do just saying the deal between to types of pistons or compression in a motor. the noise that you say you hear sound like a chug that is pushing around in the motor which will go away as it breaks in..But there is no way to know for sure cause it is just words you put down and i interpit...
Like for example if you went from 9-1 flat top pistons to 10:5-1 piston and was running re unleaded you would hear a ping ping and would need to go up in octane to stop the ping ping.. There is really no way to know what you are hearing until i hear it or you go let someone that knows hear it and i dont mean take it to Harley cause they dont know much of anything i would take it to the machine shop you had the work done and let them listen..
Also everyone has an opion right or wrong and if the motor sounded the same at 100 miles or 1000s or 20000 miles then why does a new motor sound so crisp and tight at first star up!!!! But you just spent alo of money and dont want it to be wasted so my first ride or trailor trip would be to someone who know for sure!!!!!
There is so much wrong with the above statements.

KB pistons are hypereutectic; so are the H-D cast pistons which the OP is running and should have been setup at .0006"-.0015"; so no difference. The pistons don't "break in", the rings do. Forged pistons can be setup somewhere between .002"-.004" and can make a more noise on start up than cast but the noise usually goes away as the components heat up and expand.

I have never heard a "tight" engine make noise, other than the normal valve train noise that a push rod engine makes. Loose engines make noise, not tight ones.

Going from a 9.0 flat top piston to a 10.5 domed piston does not necessarily result in a detonating engine. Detonation can be the result of a poor tune, wide open squish band all accompanied by high corrected compression; static CR is not an indicator that the engine will be prone to detonation.

I do agree that engine noise is impossible to diagnose via the internet; it is hard enough to diagnose when standing right next to the noisy engine. Engine noise is subjective; what is annoying to one is unheard by another, or heard but ignored.

A new motor sounds crisp and tight because it is a new motor; however, it will also sound that way 5000 miles or 10000 miles later. Take a TC88 apart that has been well maintained and not abused after 25K miles and you will see the coating on the pistons unscathed and the factory hone cross hatch still intact. The engines just don't wear fast enough to open up factory tolerances to the point of becoming noisy until many more miles are rolled up.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
There is so much wrong with the above statements.

KB pistons are hypereutectic; so are the H-D cast pistons which the OP is running and should have been setup at .0006"-.0015"; so no difference. The pistons don't "break in", the rings do. Forged pistons can be setup somewhere between .002"-.004" and can make a more noise on start up than cast but the noise usually goes away as the components heat up and expand.

I have never heard a "tight" engine make noise, other than the normal valve train noise that a push rod engine makes. Loose engines make noise, not tight ones.

Going from a 9.0 flat top piston to a 10.5 domed piston does not necessarily result in a detonating engine. Detonation can be the result of a poor tune, wide open squish band all accompanied by high corrected compression; static CR is not an indicator that the engine will be prone to detonation.

I do agree that engine noise is impossible to diagnose via the internet; it is hard enough to diagnose when standing right next to the noisy engine. Engine noise is subjective; what is annoying to one is unheard by another, or heard but ignored.

A new motor sounds crisp and tight because it is a new motor; however, it will also sound that way 5000 miles or 10000 miles later. Take a TC88 apart that has been well maintained and not abused after 25K miles and you will see the coating on the pistons unscathed and the factory hone cross hatch still intact. The engines just don't wear fast enough to open up factory tolerances to the point of becoming noisy until many more miles are rolled up.
This is the best answer yet.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM
springer3
Tourer
Talking

lol,,I used kb as just an a base line in the kinds of pistons,,and yes the ring seat not the pistons but i figured what ever brand of pistons is what brand of rings!!! And the machine shop i use puts it with kbs at .oo1's,002s on mine just had done.. And as for everything else we will agree to disagree,,yeah break down a twcam88 and it will still be close to factory but there are other factors that make a engine sound diffrent like carbon build, oil thickness, mixture, airflow and with new motor this is all brand new as it wears oil thins carbon builds and airflow lessons.. in fact you are right on everything,,but a jug jug or louk louk from a new engine is the tight motor setting the rings(i think) and things getting set in place if everything is the same at 100 as at 10000 then why would you need to keep push rods in same place lifters in same place vavle in same head, in fact if every motor is the same in a 10000 mile then why would racers wither it be circle track or drag tear down motors and get them back to tolerence?
But at the end of the day,,nothing sound better then a new motor the first time it starts an if he is hear large noise it time to let some one listen to it or for the sake of this argument down load it running and let listen..
The thing about all this as it has opened up good conversation...
But like i said before an it is the only thing we all agree on is that you have spent your hard earn money and you will be riding out far in close and dont want to have to stop cause you didnt let someone else listen to it....
Springer..
O and as far as the 10:1-5 not pinging,,come to Texas ride on our fuel in summer an tell me after you stop for a beer and get back on an it is pinging im not right...

Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by springer3
lol,,I used kb as just an a base line in the kinds of pistons,,and yes the ring seat not the pistons but i figured what ever brand of pistons is what brand of rings!!! And the machine shop i use puts it with kbs at .oo1's,002s on mine just had done.. And as for everything else we will agree to disagree,,yeah break down a twcam88 and it will still be close to factory but there are other factors that make a engine sound diffrent like carbon build, oil thickness, mixture, airflow and with new motor this is all brand new as it wears oil thins carbon builds and airflow lessons.. in fact you are right on everything,,but a jug jug or louk louk from a new engine is the tight motor setting the rings(i think) and things getting set in place if everything is the same at 100 as at 10000 then why would you need to keep push rods in same place lifters in same place vavle in same head, in fact if every motor is the same in a 10000 mile then why would racers wither it be circle track or drag tear down motors and get them back to tolerence?
But at the end of the day,,nothing sound better then a new motor the first time it starts an if he is hear large noise it time to let some one listen to it or for the sake of this argument down load it running and let listen..
The thing about all this as it has opened up good conversation...
But like i said before an it is the only thing we all agree on is that you have spent your hard earn money and you will be riding out far in close and dont want to have to stop cause you didnt let someone else listen to it....
Springer..
O and as far as the 10:1-5 not pinging,,come to Texas ride on our fuel in summer an tell me after you stop for a beer and get back on an it is pinging im not right...
We are not talking about racers, we are talking about tractor motors that rarely see 5000rpms.

BTW, I also live/ride in Texas and rolled up 300 miles today; filled up twice and, guess what, no ping! You still don't get that static CR of 10.5:1 does not mean a build will ping. Static CR is a mathematical calculation; the engine never sees static CR. The engine sees corrected (dynamic) and cranking compression.

This is entertaining and I would love to continue but I can see it would be a waste of time. However, I will be listening to my engine for a jug jug or a louk louk; could be bad juju.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 PM
springer3
Tourer

your right it would be a wast of time, as for as the compression compair was if you went from 9:1s to 10:5-1s and it started to ping you would have to go up in octane,,it was just a reference as two a solution to a problem he never said his motor was pinging..and also its not summer here yet hasnt started yet the heat that is!!! the start up compression the motor sees your right, so you must have releases on your scoot or you will be on here talking about why you are going threw starters!!!Anyways its been fun as much as i like to argue your nit picking what i was saying!! If you want the right answer you can call AMS machine there in all the mags there add say high torque pork!!! And you will be pinging in the hot Texas summer on the corn fuel we have now,,and going threw starters if you dont have releases!!! I wonder how this got so for of topic from the first post!!!!lol its been fun safe riding.

Quick Reply: please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!