Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

My Gear Driven Cams Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:46 AM
rdeitel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Gear Driven Cams Install

After reading and studying this forum and other forum posts (with my thanks to the posters) about installing gear driven cams I decided to do my 2001 FLHTCUI with 30K miles. I completed the job without using any special tools. I did buy harbor freight (HF)3-JAW PILOT BEARING PULLER to pull the inner cam bearings; I slightly modified it to fit behind the inner cam bearings (cut about 3/16-1/4 inch off puller tips). Cut the pushrods out with bolt cutters. I used channel locks/pliers and a drill bit to to pin back the tensioners; the tensioners were worn about a 1/8th inch deep on each one; I think they would have lasted another 20-30k miles. Put transmission in 5th gear and applied the rear brake to remove bolts from crank and cam shaft sprockets. I used a heat gun to heat cam support plate and the bearings/cams came right out; I did have to apply a little pressure to the roller bearing to get it out. I used the harbor freight (HF)3-JAW PILOT BEARING PULLER to pull the inner cam bearings. The heat gun and dry ice was used to install bearings/cams; I used one of the old chain drive cams and a rubber mallet to install/tap-in the inner cam bearings. My crank journal run-out was about 0.0025 TIR. I did not check the inner bearing backlash but the cams rotated freely. I used an undersize pinion gear and checked outer gear backlash and it was about 0.0005-0.001. Installed SE adjustable pushrod kit per the instructions; it took about 25 minutes after adjusting a lifter for it to bleed down. The bike started right up; I let it run about 5-10 minutes; no noticeable gear noise or leaks. When the snow and ice melts here in Oklahoma I will go for a test ride. Oh, I installed S&S 510G cams. I think I have put my cam chain tensioner worry to bed. Will be ready to hit the open road when warmer weather comes.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:45 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Default RE: My Gear Driven Cams Install

Congrats.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:05 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know the results!!

Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Congrats! I'm starting my first rebuild with upgraded parts. I bought some special tools just to make life easier but you handled it well. Let us know how it rides.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, good job.
I have a box full of parts waiting to do the same. I'm going to swap out my S&S 510G's for a set of HQ-0039G's. I hope mine goes as smooth as yours did. I've been alittle busy snowplowing up here in IOWA this past week. I might get to the cams next week, will see.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
apachethunder03
Cruiser

Condrats!!! I am ordering acomplete cams kit tomorrow. Already heve the pushrods. I also bought the lifters to be installed. Was advised to do so.7 to 10 days to arrive. Then will need to wait about a week to have the job done. Idon't think I can do it myself.Besides it will be faster to get it done. That way I can ride the same day. Is there a break-in period for cams like for pistons?

Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 PM
rdeitel
Advanced

I don't know if you need to break-in new cams.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Good job! Glad to hear that it went well. The only break in would be for the gears to settle into each other. I just bought a set of 95" jugs and pistons - going to do the top end before riding season starts - that should compliment the 26G I installed a couple of weeks ago.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Motogo
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

Good job! Glad to hear that it went well. The only break in would be for the gears to settle into each other. I just bought a set of 95" jugs and pistons - going to do the top end before riding season starts - that should compliment the 26G I installed a couple of weeks ago.
Ted I also have the 26G cam. I had a shop install it , just got it back yesterday. I do have a little gear whine in mine , and have been seeing mixed post on this issue. I was wondering , how do yours sound? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Yes, there is some whine - I figure that a bit of break-in with good Red Line Synthetic might quiet it - but, it really isn't all that bad. The difference in torque makes me forget it - LOL. Now, it's time to install the bigger jugs - that's the easy part compared to the cams, and THEY were actually pretty easy.

Quick Reply: My Gear Driven Cams Install