Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

113 cu in? How can I tell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 PM
mr_natural78
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 113 cu in? How can I tell?

I bought my 2000 FXDX used from a Harley dealer a few months ago. I was told the bike was 113 cu in. and had the mods in my signature. How can I verify these things? I started looking up info on the ignition system today. The coil is part number 31704-99 which is a screaming eagle part. The ignition module is part number 32702-10. I can't find this part number anywhere. The coil that is on my bike comes with a few different ignitions. It comes with the newer version of the 7000 RPM ignition system for highly modded engines with raised compression. That part number is 31713-01. That system replaced part number 31713-99 that was also a 7000 RPM race system. The same coil also comes with 31710-99 which is a 6200 RPM system for stock compression only. The ignition module on mine isn't the one that comes with this system. Any help to verify what has been done to thi bike would be great. I had it dyno tested when I got it and it pulled 103.33 hp and 137.63 torque but the dyno was stopped at 4500 hpm so I'm sure it'd get higher numbers if the hpm's were taken higher. The curve was still going up when it was stopped short. It deffenately has had work done to it.

EDIT: I was able to identify the ignition system. It has part number 32702-01. It is the screaming eagle adjustable map system.

Last edited by mr_natural78; 12-14-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: part # correction
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
mr_natural78
Tourer

The label on the ignition module reads like this:

32702-10 01267

SEL RPM REV 0

I can't identify this part at all. I've searched the instruction sheet pdf files for all the screaming eagle ignition systems I can find and this module isn't listed with any of them. Maybe is is from part number 31713-99 that was discontinued and replaced by part 31713-01. I can't find the pdf for the discontinued ignition system anywhere.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

look very carefully at the cylinder bases, you should see a gasket between the cylinder and the engine case, if not, it's not a 113, also look at the top case bolt on the left side of the motor directly below the center of where the cylinders meet the case, it should have a washer on it while the other case bolts do not if it has the bigger bore cylinders.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I don't understand why so many bikes seem to change hands without any service history! IMHO you should have a stack of receipts telling you all this.

Ask your dealer for the info. If they did the conversion they should have the details on their computer; if it was done by a different dealer they should have a trail back to when it was done and the dealer's details.

Last edited by grbrown; 12-14-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,065 Posts

If you're pulling 137 and change on torque @ 4500, no doubt you more than likely have a 113.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 AM
mr_natural78
Tourer

I tried to track down the build before I bought it. It wasn't built by the dealer I bought itfrom. It was built by Jeff Flora in south bend indiana. He is a very well known and respected builder in this area. I called and talked to him but it's been many years since it was built and he didnt have records on it still. That's why I put it on the dyno before I bought it. It pulled over a 100/100 so it obviously has been built up. I just wanted to verify it was 113 and not 96. When the tc-88 are built do they use the same bb jugs for 96 and 113? I read somewhere they do. To get to 113 you use a stroker crank and for 96 you don't. Is that correct? I know it has the SE adjustable MAP ignition. I also know it has SE CNC ported heads. I was hesitant to buy it at first since I could verify exactly what went into the build. It's a 2000 FXDX with 16200 miles. For the price I talked them down to I figured it was a pretty good deal for a bike pulling over 100/100 even if I couldn't verify exactly what's in it. It has custom head pipes and SE II slip ons. If I went to a good 2-1 exhaust I could even get the numbers up more. I don't know if I'll ever drop the money to change exhaust though. I'm pretty happy with how it rides now. The hp /tq
curve is steep as hell. It hits high numbers quick as **** and pulls strong all the way. It's a well built bike. No doubt about it. I was told it has 585 cams. Someone asked me why I didn't go with 6** (I don't remember the exact numbers) in a 113 on another thread. Can any of you builders tell me what kind of difference there would be between a 585 and a 6** cam in a 113?

Last edited by mr_natural78; 12-14-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:42 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_natural78
/I tried to track down the build before I bought it. It wasn't built by the dealer I bought it from. It was built by another dealer. Crete harley Davidson I think the name was. But that dealer closed down so that was a dead end. That's why I put it on the dyno before I bought it. It spilled over a 100/100 so it obviously has been built up. I just wanted to verify it was 113 and not 96. When the tc-88 are built do they use the same bb jugs for 96 and 113? I read somewhere they do. To get to 113 you use a stroker crank and for 96 you don't. Is that correct? I know it has the SE adjustable MAP ignition. I also know it has SE CNC ported heads.
The 113 uses the bigger bore jugs and requires a case bore which eliminates the 0-ring groove, also requires a rubber impregnated washer for the center bolt case because after boring this becomes exposed to crankcase oil and pressure. A simple glance at the bases to see if there is a gasket sandwiched between the cylinder base and case will tell you this.
The largest you can go without boring the cases is 107 cubic inches with the 4 3/8 stroke crank.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Talking

Doug, from what I understand, if the now defunct dealer recorded the work they did it should still be accessible, otherwise there would be no purpose in Harley using centralised computer records! But I can understand if there are hurdles getting in the way.

A 113" build is pretty serious stuff. So is 137TQ - what happens after 4,500rpm is rather academic! The only way I can think of confirming capacity is to take off a cylinder head, to measure bore and stroke. Or you might just like to leave as is and smile to yourself whenever someone takes you on!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain
Received 286 Likes on 155 Posts

Wonder why the builder doesn't keep records, in case one comes back. The hp/tq numbers indicate it is likely a 113". The 585 cams are fine, especially in a light bike like yours. The exhaust is good also, hard to beat the duals you have. The 113" kits came out in late summer of '05, and were for HTCC and 103+ heads, SE didn't have pistons for the bath tub chambers. I'd make sure the tune is right and just ride it and enjoy.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 AM
mr_natural78
Tourer

Well...there is some confusion on who built the bike. I can't verify for sure. The dealer I got it from said that jeff flora did. When I called and talked to jeff he couldn't verify for sure that he did. He said that he builds race bikes and manufactures parts as well. His heads are some of the best out. He said it may have been built by Crete harley (the now closed dealer). Jeff told me his company sold them a lot off big bore and 113 kits. That all makes sense if harleydidnt come out with the kits until 2005. From the info I can find, the previous owner built the bike right after buying it new. That would've been before 2005 when the harley stuff came out. That dealer probably bought the kits from jeff flora and were installing them before harley started making them. Later today I'm finishing up my handle bar change. Still have to reroute cables. I'll look for the o-ring at the cylinder bases and the washer on the case bolt when I go to start that stuff in a couple hours. Is there a way to identify which screamin eagle heads I have without pulling the heads? I know the rear head has the screamin eagle logo and the front head says cnc ported. I thought I read somewhere a few months ago that the HTCC heads were the only cnc ported ones. Maybe not though. I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: 113 cu in? How can I tell?