Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine Mod Time!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Jarhead Red
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Engine Mod Time!

What's up Folks!

I haven't posted in a while cause I didn't really have much to talk about! NOW THOUGH......I got plenty.

So here's the plan on my 06 Heritage....

I think I'm gonna just go ahead and get the drop in 97ci cylinder set from S&S. The stock cylinders can only be bored to a 95ci and since I'm gonna be running a set of S&S 585's and the price difference between punching to a 95ci and just dropping thy 97 in was about 200.00. If it's that close....bigger is better imo. Of course that's not all..... I'll be swapping the stock carb with an S&S Super E, adjustable push rods, heavier valve springs, will either deck the cylinder or mill the stock heads (if not enough clearance in cylinder) to get comp up to around 10-10.5 : 1.

I'm running Rhinehart Duals right now which WILL be swapped for a Drago's Bike Works CSC 2 into 1 down the line (funds run out quick! ).

I don't do alot of top end roaring but I DEFINATELY enjoy the head snap getting to the speed limit !!

Hope you are all well and the New Year has started off right !!

-Red

Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Lots of guys are boring stock cylinders to 98". No need to deck the heads with proper domed pistons.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

98 inch no problem for the stock cylinders and I would use them before the S&S/wiseco slipper skirt piston setup everytime. Hyperformance has full skirt CP 98 inch pistons in stock and will bore your cylinders for less than the cost of the S&S kit. At the very least get a performance valve job done on your heads and consider the 570 S&S over the 585 if you want that neck snapping torque.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:17 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead Red
What's up Folks!

I haven't posted in a while cause I didn't really have much to talk about! NOW THOUGH......I got plenty.

So here's the plan on my 06 Heritage....

I think I'm gonna just go ahead and get the drop in 97ci cylinder set from S&S. The stock cylinders can only be bored to a 95ci and since I'm gonna be running a set of S&S 585's and the price difference between punching to a 95ci and just dropping thy 97 in was about 200.00. If it's that close....bigger is better imo. Of course that's not all..... I'll be swapping the stock carb with an S&S Super E, adjustable push rods, heavier valve springs, will either deck the cylinder or mill the stock heads (if not enough clearance in cylinder) to get comp up to around 10-10.5 : 1.

I'm running Rhinehart Duals right now which WILL be swapped for a Drago's Bike Works CSC 2 into 1 down the line (funds run out quick! ).

I don't do alot of top end roaring but I DEFINATELY enjoy the head snap getting to the speed limit !!

Hope you are all well and the New Year has started off right !!

-Red
We've been boring those cylinders to 98" here since 2006.
Compete kits with Cometic gaskets, ring end gaps set, and installed on the pistons.
Also you'll want to at least install larger valves, with a precision valve job, and port-match the heads to the intake manifold I.D of that S&S intake manifold.
We offer our own progressive wound spring kit for that, as well as other spring kits in stock.
A fully ported head is really the way to go.
Compression for that .585 needs to be 10.5-10.7 cr.
Another aid will be to install a Thunderjet in that carb, and a DTT ignition to control the spark event.
With that said, it'll run VERY well.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Jarhead Red
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that IS interesting. I spoke with both my indy and the machine shop where the work would be done and was told 95was as big as you could go. He said going any bigger makes the cylinder wall to thin. Also told me anything over the 97 would require boring on the cases to fit.

So am I being mis-informed here?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Scott at Hillside is THE man. Did a 98" kit for me last year. Great craftsmanship and a great guy to talk power combos with. Won't sell you anything you don't need. Highly recommend.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:31 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Now that IS interesting. I spoke with both my indy and the machine shop where the work would be done and was told 95was as big as you could go. He said going any bigger makes the cylinder wall to thin. Also told me anything over the 97 would require boring on the cases to fit.

You have been misinformed by guys that probably don't have the capability or knowledge to set you up with a 98" top end. Done every day and will save you some cabbage. I would also go so far as to suggest saving the money on the Super E carb. The OEM CV40 with a Yost kit or some upgrades will do the job nicely. Or, jump up to the SE CV44, either will be easier to tune and whatever difference in performance you think you might gain from the Super E will not register on the butt dyno. JMHO; your ride, you decide.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Plenty of material in those cylinders, to go from 88-98", and from 96-107".
Wiseco manufactures those pistons for us.
Been boring those 88's now for almost 8 years, and HD cylinders for over 2 1/2 decades, and have recieved feedback from many folks that have 40,000, and 50,000 miles on 'em.
No worries whatsoever.
Scott