Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

1933rl

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 02:23 PM
village craftsman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1933rl

Hi there folks,

Can anyone please confirm if the tinware is correct on my 1933RL and how many were produced.

Engine number is: 33D****

Cheers,

Bob

Old 10-09-2018, 06:24 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

only a couple of guys make anything for machines that old, and the ones they make are exact - as a gentleman's agreement when its judged that info is forth coming

to me they look good this was my 26 I sold a few months back we bought in a chicken basket 8 years ago

Old 10-10-2018, 04:09 AM
village craftsman
4th Gear

Many thanks John for the info which is most appreciated.

It looks like my by spent most of its life in Germany - it eventually surfaced in East Berlin (DDR) in the early 60s.

Someone has spend a few bob on it as the renovation work is museum quality.

Kindest regards,

Bob

Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by village craftsman
Hi there folks,

Can anyone please confirm if the tinware is correct on my 1933RL and how many were produced.

Engine number is: 33D****

Bob, welcome to the forum. I see a few things not consistent with 1933 but before we get into them and before we get onto production figures, can you clarify something please because I’m a bit confused about the ID you provided for the bike. You said it’s a 1933RL but you say the engine number begins with 33D. Are you sure about the engine number?

As a Flathead 45ci Solo, the Model D was introduced for 1929 and it continued thru 1931 which was its last model year, AFAIK. The generator was attached vertically.
The Model RL was introduced for 1932 and it continued thru 1936. Therefore I wouldn’t expect to see an engine number beginning with 33D.
Can you post a photo of 33D**** please. Thanks.

Did you check the belly numbers? If you’re not familiar with them, look under each crankcase half near the outer edges and somewhat toward the front. The belly numbers may be formatted similar to the following example: 33-1234.

It’s interesting you mentioned that it looks like the bike spent most of its life in Germany. For 1933, H-D produced at least four Flathead 45ci models for Germany: 33REX; 33RLEX; 33RLDEX; and 33RESX.
Eric

Old 10-10-2018, 02:34 PM
village craftsman
4th Gear
Default 1933rl

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for replying to my plea for help.

I'm mainly a Norton bloke (although I also have a 1969 Servi-Car) and therefore have not much of a clue when it comes to the RL which I acquired a while back.

I've checked the engine number - 33D1990 - it looks original but will send a photo when I get back home. Will also do the same for the belly numbers.

The only data I have to work from is the East German (DDR) registration document which could possibly indicate that the bike had arrived in Germany prior to WW2 and ended up in the Soviet Sector of Berlin after the war.

Have you any other observations or comments.

Cheers,

Bob

Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 184 Posts

You're welcome Bob. Many years ago I had Nortons. First was a used 1971 750 and then I traded that in on a new 1974 850.

I have a photo of that 33D engine number. I saved it a while ago but I’m not sure where from. (Perhaps eBay?) The only other picture I saved is posted below. Notice the air intake/air scoop the bike had at that time. Also notice my red arrow. Above that arrow you may find casting number 112-322 and I’ll come back to that later.

1933rl-jtr04lf.jpg

As I mentioned above, as a Flathead 45ci Solo, the Model D was introduced for 1929 and it continued thru 1931. The generator was attached vertically as shown below in the illustration from The Legend Begins (H-D publication #99403-93).

1933rl-xfl4g3g.jpg

At least three other Flathead 45s were available in the D-series at one stage or another and they were the DL, DS and DLD. But that ended with 1931 models.

A lot of things changed for 1932 with the beginning of the R-series (R, RL etc). The generator was no longer vertical; instead it was horizontal as we see with your bike. Another difference was the frame and you’ll notice in the Legend illustration that the front downtube was straight for the D-series. But your front downtube is different and the change allowed the generator to be horizontal.

Your exhaust tailpipe is similar to the type first used for 1934 models but the cut at the end looks like it may be at the wrong angle. The toolbox seems unusual for 1933. A cylindrical one was used on 45s for 1929–30 but a wedge-shaped toolbox was used for 1931–34. The tank graphics aren’t consistent with 1933. Normally for 33 we’d see ‘Harley-Davidson’ but in smaller lettering and on each tank I’d also expect what H-D referred to as an ‘Eagle Head’ transfer. However, at times some features on export bikes were different to those used for domestic machines.

The main problem is that AFAIK there was no Model D for 1933. And your engine is an R-series as opposed to a D-series. R-series had a horizontal generator as I mentioned earlier and the left case had casting number 112-322. But the D-series had a vertical generator and the left case casting number was 112-29B (and it was in a different position to 112-322).

Also some characters in your engine number are not consistent with factory stamping for 1933. Your 3s have a vertical serif at top left but for 1933 I’d expect 3s to be sans serif. Your 9s are fully rounded whereas I’d expect them to have only a slight curve and your 0 is a lot more narrow than I’d expect.

The belly numbers may tell us more about the model year of the cases.

Is the engine number on the East German registration document? Does the document say anything about RL? Did the seller explain why the engine number is stamped D?
Eric

Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Just tagging on to this post to follow, very interesting, and nice ride VC

Old 10-11-2018, 03:30 PM
village craftsman
4th Gear

Welcome on board

Old 10-11-2018, 04:13 PM
village craftsman
4th Gear
Default 1933rl?

Morning Eric,

Have managed to get those numbers which may help to identify the bike further.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:24 PM
village craftsman
4th Gear

Hi Eric,

Hope these photos provide a few clues!!!!

Cheers,

Bob

Quick Reply: 1933rl