Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Club Membership

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:26 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts
Default Club Membership

HDF, not the three piece patch variety...

The recent kerfuffle in the POD has brought HDF membership into the spotlight, for a short time anyhow. As those of us who frequent the POD know, it is accessible to all, but only those with paid memberships may post there. Whether that's a good strategy or not remains to be seen, and also isn't the topic of this conversation.

What I'd like to suggest is that IB in general and HDF specifically promote club membership. I belong to several forums covering a multitude of topics (surprisingly few of them are **** related), but they all offer me something in one way or another. One of my favorites though, the one I get the most from, has a membership drive every year. It is a donation only site, and available only by invitation, so the format in that respect is different from HDF, but what they do is schedule their donation drive around the holiday season every year. They send a big annoying PM to your inbox, and have large, colorful banners at the top of the page in holiday colors meant to remind you that it's time to support your favorite website. This is also the time of year they give members a couple of memberships to give away to close friends.

I'm not suggesting HDF turn into another kind of site or run theirs in a particular way, but promoting membership can't be a bad thing, can it?

Old 09-07-2018, 07:37 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Actually, the reading room, I mean POD is now open to everyone, no paid membership required. Just scroll to the bottom of the "This and That" section.
ETA: My mistake, it's still "Members only" for posting of any kind.

Last edited by Bonnie Storm; 09-07-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
Actually, the reading room, I mean POD is now open. Just scroll to the bottom of the "This and That" section
Unless it's changed since last night (possible) it is still accessible to all, but only club members may POST there, as I said in my OP. Can you post to a topic?

Also, that doesn't change the fact that a membership drive wouldn't hurt. Also the ability to gift memberships.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
Bonnie Storm (09-07-2018), Stiggy (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 07:47 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
Unless it's changed since last night (possible) it is still accessible to all, but only club members may POST there, as I said in my OP. Can you post to a topic?

Also, that doesn't change the fact that a membership drive wouldn't hurt. Also the ability to gift memberships.
Besides posting in the swamp now what exactly would the benefits be for Joe Average in here to patch up ? Won't cut the ad's down.....

The following users liked this post:
Advocatus Diaboli (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
Unless it's changed since last night (possible) it is still accessible to all, but only club members may POST there, as I said in my OP. Can you post to a topic?.
Yep, your right. I just tried a test post since I'm not a member. No posting whatsoever! Oh well, I only went there to read on occasion anyway.

Redoilokie (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Besides posting in the swamp now what exactly would the benefits be for Joe Average in here to patch up ? Won't cut the ad's down.....
Club MemberClub Member

Join the HDF Riders Club today as a Club Member and receive our all-new HDForums T-shirt, a collectible embroidered patch & chevron, along with a pair of logo stickers.

You'll also receive great benefits like increased PM space, a larger avatar, and access to exclusive member forums!

HDForums does not offer any refunds for Club Memberships. Club Members are still subject to the rules and regulations of HDForums, and may be banned with due consideration by the Administrative team.

Due to Paypal constraints, this subscription is automatically recurring. If you wish to change this, do so from within your own Paypal account, in the recurring payment section.

$34.99 $24.99

In all honesty though, promoting it would be their job. Who knows, maybe if we could get the numbers up they could offer specials or BOGO or something. I can't make any promises on behalf of IB though.

Yeah, I'd love to get someone to sit down at a table and discuss the new ads this place is running.

Last edited by Redoilokie; 09-07-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

No thanks. I'll get my political needs met elsewhere. This type of action will just drive me further from the forum, not closer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oldskewl:
Advocatus Diaboli (09-07-2018), Chief1297 (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
No thanks. I'll get my political needs met elsewhere. This type of action will just drive me further from the forum, not closer.
Different strokes. I understand completely.

Then again, this isn't about bumping up POD membership. Too many people in there spell disaster anyway. I was just honestly surprised that with the subscription numbers this place has, how few of them are paid members.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:01 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Personally the POD was never all that important to me. I posted in there now and then but not to the extent that it became an addiction like for some.Truth be told I really don't see a need for a political rant section in a motorcycle forum anymore then there would be a need for a motorcycle section in a political forum. If this were my house political and religious rhetoric would be off limits topics. Talk about motorcycles or go somewhere else. If the key issue here is truly one of liability then ditch the POD entirely. Charging people to be able to come in and make threats (if that's really what happened) does not limit liability it compounds it.

Now I think I'll suit up, hop on the bike and head into Ybor City for some Cuban coffee on 7th Avenue.

Last edited by Hey Man; 09-07-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Frostbite (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 08:23 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

FWIW, I'm not interested in having to pay for a membership to this forum...I would occasionally visit the POD section to see the drama for entertainment only. If I had to pay a fee to belong to this site I would rather be kicked out...the owner makes plenty of money from all the ads and can do without my money.

I like to visit this forum for entertainment and mostly from just being bored.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

The following 3 users liked this post by SBRob:
Advocatus Diaboli (09-07-2018), chuckw2 (09-07-2018), SPRINGER (09-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Club Membership