General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a road king when used to a sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:29 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Riding a road king when used to a sportster?

Ive just managed to secure a rental a bike when I come out to bikeweek next year
I ride a sportster iron but wanted something bigger as the missus will be going on the back so ive gone for a road king. I wanted a softail heritage as I hired one of these when in vegas last year and was perfect but they had already been taken. So just wondering whats a road king going to be like being that much bigger? I don't plan on doing loads of miles as mainly want to ride "the loop" and around main street. My local dealer literally have no demo bikes and they aren't very keen on test rides unless they think you are going to buy so don't think I can get a chance to ride one until the day.
cheers

Old 11-04-2014, 04:45 AM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word about sums it up: Heavy. They all ride the same at speed. But with the big bikes tight turns at slow speed will be a good way to dump the bike and unless you are the hulk you will not stop it from tipping over. Just take your time and it will be fine.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:37 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't let the size of the bike rule you and your state of mind. Once on the RK, Please take the time to get acquainted one-on-one in the parking lot before you go on the main road. Get the feel of the seat, clutch, clutch pedal, the handlebars and the mirrors before you go.

Betcha you'll never go back to Sporty once you go BIG. Don't ask me how I know.

Have fun and RK rules,

Thorey

Old 11-04-2014, 05:59 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Don't let the size of the bike rule you and your state of mind. Once on the RK, Please take the time to get acquainted one-on-one in the parking lot before you go on the main road. Get the feel of the seat, clutch, clutch pedal, the handlebars and the mirrors before you go.

Betcha you'll never go back to Sporty once you go BIG. Don't ask me how I know.

Have fun and RK rules,

Thorey
^^^ What Thorey says....

Old 11-04-2014, 06:20 AM
wheelzk
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dito to the slow speeds on that bigger bike. Take your time. You'll get used to the balance. It will definitely feel different. Better for longer rides. I think they are way more comfortable. Feels like they drive themselves on the long haul.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:21 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to a Road King from a Sporty. The main difference, as stated, is the weight. Moving it around, parking, and slow speed maneuvering. I used to get on my Sporty after I raised the stand. Don't try that with an RK, you don't need to ask me how I know! I just hope you can flat foot it at stops.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:32 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyglen
I wanted a softail heritage as I hired one of these when in vegas last year and was perfect
If you didn't have a problem with the heritage, you won't have a problem with the Road King.

Have a blast on your holiday in Daytona!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

'Well,you've been on a softail,which is a slug compared to the "King". The King handles like it's name,much more responsive and smooth than any softie. I get on my girl's Sporty,and it's like throwing a bicycle around by comparison,but don't sweat the big Harley,it's solid,and easy to maneuver at low speeds,just keep the momentum up. Poor bastard,you're gonna' want one when you're done.

Last edited by Twistnride; 11-04-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyglen
Ive just managed to secure a rental a bike when I come out to bikeweek next year
I ride a sportster iron but wanted something bigger as the missus will be going on the back so ive gone for a road king. I wanted a softail heritage as I hired one of these when in vegas last year and was perfect but they had already been taken. So just wondering whats a road king going to be like being that much bigger? I don't plan on doing loads of miles as mainly want to ride "the loop" and around main street. My local dealer literally have no demo bikes and they aren't very keen on test rides unless they think you are going to buy so don't think I can get a chance to ride one until the day.
cheers
The road king will be significantly more difficult to handle at slow speed than either the sportster or a softail. The softail are much easier to manage because they have a low center of gravity. The road king like any tourer will take a little getting use to but once you do it will become much easier for you to handle. The road king is also the easiest tourer to handle.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
The road king will be significantly more difficult to handle at slow speed than either the sportster or a softail. The softail are much easier to manage because they have a low center of gravity. The road king like any tourer will take a little getting use to but once you do it will become much easier for you to handle. The road king is also the easiest tourer to handle.
I disagree, to a certain extent. My Road Kings are easier at slow speeds than my softail--the front doesn't feel like it wants to flop to one side or the other, and it is quite nimble. Weight should not be a factor unless you're making riding mistakes that would catch you out on softail too... As others have said, you'll love the comfort, handling, and great all - around versatility that the road king will offer. The Sporty is more nimble, to be sure, but wait until you ride the road king... it's handling belies its size

Quick Reply: Riding a road king when used to a sportster?