General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about Basic Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:43 AM
ffpm410
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about Basic Rider Course

I have a question about the basic rider course....
For someone like myself (zero riding experience), do you think that after completing the class I would be comfortable to rent a bike and practice?? I know it's a vague question, but I want to buy a bike soon after completing the class, but dont want to get too far ahead of myself. Any input is greatly appreceiated......
Thanks,
Nate

Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 AM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Quick question about Basic Rider Course

My wife was ready to start riding her bike the day we finished the class. Of course we started with back roads and worked our way up. If you grasp it and pass the class you should be fine.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After the class I'd look to get the biggest bike you feel comfortable on. You're not going to be on the bike of your dreams right out of the gate, so look for something used you don't mind dropping. Build up some experience on this bike and then look for a nicer bike. There are a ton of used bikes on the market you can get cheap. After you complete the class it's all about practicing and building confidence. Good luck with the class.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

I had experience when I took the course, so it is not comparable. But judging how well the n00bs progressed during the 3 days I would say you can rent whatever you like and feel relatively confident. I would just advise to get used to the bike for a little bit before you ramble on out in traffic.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
DirtyDave
Tourer

Just My opinion - that could get expensive, depending on what you rent and how much practice you want. There are loads of used bikes for sale, some really cheap. After you get confident in your riding skills and figure out what bike you want to buy, now you have a trade or sell it to put down a payment.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:59 AM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

MSF teaches a newbie how to ride. I would think it would be smart to rent a bike, especially the model that you are looking to purchase. Riding several bikes will give you a idea of what you want to be riding.

Occasionally, I will go to an empty parking lot and practice my turning skills (fibure 8's, U-turns). It's a good thing to keep sharp on, because you get a better feel of the handling of the bike. Practice is practice, but it will be better on the bike you end up buying.

Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/DCB17A36F141481FB2C0FA8D3F34B527.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

I would look for a beater bike if I were you. 500cc's or smaller... Spend a grand, learn about taking care of a bike, and if you drop it, you can control your exposure. Bike will not be heavy or too powerful, and you will learn more, because you can practice anytime you want..

MSF course is great, but you are learning on a small bike. Spend some more time on a small bike, get comfy, learn and practice, then move on to a bigger bike. Renting bikes will get expensive, and inconvenient...

Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 PM
COLOrider
Cruiser

agree with others, course will prepare you well to ride, then buy a cheap biketo improve those skills learned at class before you buy the dream bike.....ride safe

Old 04-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

do you think that after completing the class I would be comfortable to rent a bike and practice??
The dealerships I'm familiar with want you to have a year's riding experience before they'll rent to you.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

I took the class last month and went right to my 07 Fat Boy. I hadn't ridin a bike in 15 years but new how to ride basically. The class did help me though. Once you are done with the class you are going to be so excited to get your license and get you bike immediatly. I wouldn't waste your money buying a cheaper bike to beat up first. What I would do is..... Go rent one for a dayfirst, maybe a big one, like a Fat Boy or something. It's about $150 with insurance. Just see how you do. I thought it waseasy.My bike was intimidatingat first but once you put a few hundred miles on it was easy riding. Just watch out for everyone elase is the key. Lots of stupid drivers in cars out there.

Quick Reply: Quick question about Basic Rider Course