General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about Basic Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quick question about Basic Rider Course

u will be comfortable riding the day you finish. its that good of a class (the riders edge class at HD). but I agree if you still feel leary, by a commuter bike cheap used and get used to it more before you buy and mount your dream bike.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Unamed
Road Master

Like my instructors said, you are now "Experienced Parking Lot Riders" but you will have the skills necessary to operate a motorbike, take your time with it. I would say either go really cheep and get a beater bike to really put some miles on, or buy the bike you want as long as your not trying to go to an ultra or something. Had my Sportster for a year and went to my Road King. That was about right even tho I spent lots of money on both. It will really boil down to how well you ride, some people are naturals, other never quite get it.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

I was in the market for a bike but had planned on taking the course before purchasing the bike. It didn't work that way. I found the bike I wanted before the class was available.

Class was fun. I was way too big for the little 150cc Kawa cruisers we were on. The handlebars hit my knees and Ihad to partially stand to do the figure 8s. The day after the classes were done I went on my lunchbreak to add the endorsement to me DL.

The Harley I have was a different animal. Like the difference between a go-cart and a car. I took my time going around the neighborhood and then did some parking lot practice. Waited until the next weekend and did an early Saturday morning ride. Light traffic and was able to try variable speed roads. Stayed off the interstate and night riding for a couple of weeks.

Get the bike you plan on riding unless you have throw away cash. If you're not sold on a particular model then get a throw away bike for now. I think I'd be pretty comfy hopping on anything other than a Hyabusa, a GoldWing or an Ultra. Been riding about 10 months now. Not sure how I lived without it before.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Corby
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

I took the class last month and went right to my 07 Fat Boy. I hadn't ridin a bike in 15 years but new how to ride basically. The class did help me though. Once you are done with the class you are going to be so excited to get your license and get you bike immediatly. I wouldn't waste your money buying a cheaper bike to beat up first. What I would do is..... Go rent one for a dayfirst, maybe a big one, like a Fat Boy or something. It's about $150 with insurance. Just see how you do. I thought it waseasy.My bike was intimidatingat first but once you put a few hundred miles on it was easy riding. Just watch out for everyone elase is the key. Lots of stupid drivers in cars out there.
Yep, what he said.

It had been a long time since I'd ridden - about 15 years as well. Two weeks after I completed the course, I brought home my Fatboy. I was a little nervous but overall the ride home went smooth. I also made sure I scheduled picking up the bike around 10am on a weekday so traffic was pretty minimal. Most everyone is in work by then, so I figured it would be less cagers to worry about.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
rtrostiii
Cruiser

Take the course and go ride before you unlearn what you learned! After course was over took my wife and we started out re-practicing skills in gov't center parking lot, moved to back roads, and within a month she was on her own on the Interstates!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whether you buy new or used depends on two things: your comfort level while riding and your finances.

The one thing to remember is you have been taught only the basics that require many hoursof practice, practice to become proficient. (no matter what you're riding)

Good luck.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Yellowsnow
6th Gear

Whaap has given you some sage advice here. Once you finish the course, you will be an expert at low speed, parking lot maneuvers. At no time during the course will you spend time in traffic so you have to build upon the skills learned during the course and practice, practice, practice. Personally, I think it's wise to buy a lower power light weight or mid-weight cruiser to learn on. Nothing wrong with an 883 either as a bike to practice on or as a long term bike. Either way, you have a great bike that is relatively easy to maneuver during your practice time. The most dangerous time (generally speaking)for a rider is during the second season of riding. During the first year, you will be cautious and vigilant. But during the second year, you will have developed enough skills to become just a little cocky on the bike. This causes you to let your guard down slightly which increases risk. Riding is all about assuming and reducing risk. As a RiderCoach, I just ask that you have an open mind during the course and then practice the skills under controlled conditions for a while as others have said here. When you bring that bike out next year, don't let your ego get in the way of what you learned. Be sure you continue to practice what you have been taught and learn through the real-world lessons that will inevitably come your way. So, buy the size and type of bike you can be comforable on for the first couple years of riding. Then, stick with that ride or move up if the finances and skills are right.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Yellowsnow

Whaap has given you some sage advice here. Once you finish the course, you will be an expert at low speed, parking lot maneuvers. At no time during the course will you spend time in traffic so you have to build upon the skills learned during the course and practice, practice, practice. Personally, I think it's wise to buy a lower power light weight or mid-weight cruiser to learn on. Nothing wrong with an 883 either as a bike to practice on or as a long term bike. Either way, you have a great bike that is relatively easy to maneuver during your practice time. The most dangerous time (generally speaking)for a rider is during the second season of riding. During the first year, you will be cautious and vigilant. But during the second year, you will have developed enough skills to become just a little cocky on the bike. This causes you to let your guard down slightly which increases risk. Riding is all about assuming and reducing risk. As a RiderCoach, I just ask that you have an open mind during the course and then practice the skills under controlled conditions for a while as others have said here. When you bring that bike out next year, don't let your ego get in the way of what you learned. Be sure you continue to practice what you have been taught and learn through the real-world lessons that will inevitably come your way. So, buy the size and type of bike you can be comforable on for the first couple years of riding. Then, stick with that ride or move up if the finances and skills are right.
[sm=exactly.gif]

When my wife wanted to learn to ride - there was no MSF Safety course that we could get her to, so -- we found her a used Honda 750 for $700 and I taught her to ride. Spent a few bucks gettingthe old Hondaroad worthy. She rode it for a couple of years and then got her HD. We thensold the used Honda for $700.

By the way, she rode that old Honda to Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and California on her "learner's permit."

Her first HD was a Sporster which she rode for 4 years, then an FXD for 6 years, and she is now riding an FLHT and loving every minute of it.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 PM
BiffSteel45
Intermediate

Took the MSF class in October, bought my Road Glide in November. I spent time in the parking lot practicing the skills learned in the class and then stuck to quiet, side streets until I felt comfortable to do more. Since then I have been all over the place and last week was my first time on the express way It was no big deal. I had zero experience before the class.