General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch those Security Systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Cut2013
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch those Security Systems

Hey guys. Well yesterday some buddies of mine invited me on a day trip to Grayton Beach FL. Well we get down there from So. Alabama and stop at a little bar for some drinks. After a couple hours we start to leave and my bike wont crank! Come to find out my key fob had somehow fell out of my pocket during the ride. The embarrassing part is I never set my own security code on the bike and that was my only key fob (I bought the bike used). So now I'm stuck 80 miles from home with no way to crank the bike. Now since I have no fob and no security code the security system on my bike is a paperweight. According to HD the only option I have is to get a new security module installed with new fobs which is about $500. So watch those keyless systems and don't make the mistake I did!!

Old 04-11-2016, 02:44 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

like i always say, you should change your pin code before you even leave the dealer parking lot. and practice inputting your pin a few times so that when you need to use it, you aren't trying to figure out how to use it....

as you found, the vast majority of security system 'problems' are owner induced.

sorry about the bad luck. you could shave a few bucks if you elected to completely delete your security. its an option. not one i would take, but its an option.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:46 PM
RideFree1267
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

My brother has his fob on his dining room table, started his bike (which it was within range) and left. Stopped by a gas station several miles away and.....well you know. Bike wouldn't start. So, your not the only one.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:50 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

No way for over ride? Didn't know.. Surprised
Edit, i misread post.. Too mean that there was nt a code atall

Last edited by amkaos; 04-11-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
like i always say, you should change your pin code before you even leave the dealer parking lot. and practice inputting your pin a few times so that when you need to use it, you aren't trying to figure out how to use it....

as you found, the vast majority of security system 'problems' are owner induced.

sorry about the bad luck. you could shave a few bucks if you elected to completely delete your security. its an option. not one i would take, but its an option.
I think I still have the TSM from my 13 street glide after I changed it out for the TSSM.

If it will work for your bike holler at me. You pay shipping and I'll send it out.

Tired of looking at it when I stumble across it.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:06 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

My fob is clipped onto my belt chain and I keep it in my pocket, not dangling loose.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:22 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Yeah - one of the reasons I like that my Dyna doesn't have an alarm system - or anti lock brakes. Just more stuff to break. In some ways I wish it had a carb instead of fuel injection, but I can live with that.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (04-13-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 03:22 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut2013
Hey guys. Well yesterday some buddies of mine invited me on a day trip to Grayton Beach FL. Well we get down there from So. Alabama and stop at a little bar for some drinks. After a couple hours we start to leave and my bike wont crank! Come to find out my key fob had somehow fell out of my pocket during the ride. The embarrassing part is I never set my own security code on the bike and that was my only key fob (I bought the bike used). So now I'm stuck 80 miles from home with no way to crank the bike. Now since I have no fob and no security code the security system on my bike is a paperweight. According to HD the only option I have is to get a new security module installed with new fobs which is about $500. So watch those keyless systems and don't make the mistake I did!!
I've heard of others having similar problems and the more that I hear things like this, I'm glad that on my 05 Springer, all I need is a simple key and I'm good to go and don't have to mess with any key fobs or security codes. Hope you have better luck next time.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:23 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by amkaos
No way for over ride? Didn't know.. Surprised
Yes, there is a way as long as you know the PIN.

If it was super easy to get around the system, it would be pointless to have one.

The module is locked without a working FOB, or the manual override code.

Lots of security features are like that, this isn't just an HD thing.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:29 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

But if you don't reset code from default, can't you use the default pin?

Quick Reply: Watch those Security Systems