General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service, dealer or indy

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:45 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1000 mile service, dealer or indy

Title says it all, I am all set to go to indy on Monday for first service. Yes, I can change fluids, but I need to be really sure everything is checked out at least for the first time plus I want him to evaluate the noisy upper end and clunky tranny to make sure everything is "normal". Dealer is safest for warranty etc but I trust the Indy I have used and he gives a thorough checklist that should validate if a warranty issue should come up. Bike is just coming up on 1 month old. Your thoughts?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:52 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

honestly, your not gonna like my answer, but you did say "Your thoughts?" so here goes...

I'd do it myself. I have all the tools required, got the service manual, the parts manual, and the electrical service manual. I have the checklist the dealership uses. I just feel more comfortable doing it myself.

If you don't want to do it for yourself then I'd really knock it down to choices: either your trusted indy OR a dealership you did not buy the bike from. I'm not really sure why, but for some reason it seems like a dealership wrenching on a bike they didn't sell gives a little more honest answers than the dealership that did sell the bike.

I guess, if I had to order my preferences (given your post)

1) do it myself
2) use the indy I know I trust
3) use a different dealership
4) use the dealership where I bought the bike

Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

You said you trust your Indy so that's where to go. You can go anywhere you want for routine factory maintenance or do it yourself.

Just save your receipts.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain

I think I am going with 2 because I really want a 3rd party (not a Harley tech) to listen to the motor and transmission. My riding crew are mixed, some say normal, others say to loud but none of us have a lot of experience with wet heads. I do love the bike!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

It depends on which one you trust the most...or to me it does. Money is also a factor to some too.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

In your case, the indy is right direction to lean...

Old 07-18-2016, 09:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Neither! DIY

Changing the fluids and filter is easy. Get a copy of the 1K service items to check online from Surdyke's H-D. It is a way to get to know your machine and to save hundreds of dollars each service.

Take a pic of the speedometer and note on the service checklist the results of each check.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

For the futue. One of the greatest swindles Harley has done is robbed people of 1000 miles, by having the 5k at 5k. They assume Harley riders can't count.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain

I agree that the 1k service is not rocket science, but I still want a good indy to check it out. At some point he will be doing the motor upgrades. Thanks all!!

Old 07-18-2016, 10:34 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
honestly, your not gonna like my answer, but you did say "Your thoughts?" so here goes...

I'd do it myself. I have all the tools required, got the service manual, the parts manual, and the electrical service manual. I have the checklist the dealership uses. I just feel more comfortable doing it myself.

If you don't want to do it for yourself then I'd really knock it down to choices: either your trusted indy OR a dealership you did not buy the bike from. I'm not really sure why, but for some reason it seems like a dealership wrenching on a bike they didn't sell gives a little more honest answers than the dealership that did sell the bike.

I guess, if I had to order my preferences (given your post)

1) do it myself
2) use the indy I know I trust
3) use a different dealership
4) use the dealership where I bought the bike

Awesome suggestions~ A biker friend of mine insisted that the first 1000 miles is covered under the factory warranty and therefore you don't need to pay to get that service done. So I'm a bit confused because he states that he has gotten all of the 1000 service done on his prior bikes for FREE! But knowing Harley all too well, that just can't be true.... So whats the verdict?

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service, dealer or indy