General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting trouble codes (DTC's)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:46 AM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Resetting trouble codes (DTC's)

I have a 2002 Road King that has several trouble codes set. I have since fixed the problem but need to clear the trouble codes.
'
The procedure is different for later models (2003 and up).
Searches does not show method on how to clear the DTC's for the 2002 and earlier only how to retrieve them nor does the Electrical Diagnostics manual tell how to do this.
'
Anyone know how to clear the codes? I would like to clear them so I can tell if they are reoccurring or not. I understand they will clear after a set number of start/stop's of the engine, I heard 50 start/stops, but that is a long time in coming.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:49 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustyg500
I have a 2002 Road King that has several trouble codes set. I have since fixed the problem but need to clear the trouble codes.
'
The procedure is different for later models (2003 and up).
Searches does not show method on how to clear the DTC's for the 2002 and earlier only how to retrieve them nor does the Electrical Diagnostics manual tell how to do this.
'
Anyone know how to clear the codes? I would like to clear them so I can tell if they are reoccurring or not. I understand they will clear after a set number of start/stop's of the engine, I heard 50 start/stops, but that is a long time in coming.
I do not know if this will help you. It shows how to display the trouble codes for 00-03 Road Kings. Read the Important Note, because in there it says that the trouble code will stay in memory until cleared by a Scanalyzer or 50 trips have elapsed. A "trip" is defined,in the quote below, as a start and run cycle lasting at least 30 seconds.

A “trip” consists of a start and run cycle, the run cycle lasting at least 30 seconds. After the 50 trip retention period, the trouble code is automatically erased from memory (that is, assuming no subsequent faults of the same type are detected in that period). The numbers after the 'historic' or 'current' is the speedo code number, but without the electrical diagnostics manual you're not going to know what they mean.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post8767805

Last edited by MikerR1; 11-10-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MikerR1
I do not know if this will help you. It shows how to display the trouble codes for 00-03 Road Kings. Read the Important Note, because in there it says that the trouble code will stay in memory until cleared by a Scanalyzer or 50 trips have elapsed. A "trip" is defined,in the quote below, as a start and run cycle lasting at least 30 seconds.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post8767805
Thanks Mike. That is what I feared. 50 cycles does no good if you are having intermittent issues and I do not have a Scanalizer. With the code staying there for 50 cycles then you do not know if the code being displayed is recent or residual so you have no idea if you have fixed the problem.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:21 PM
MikerR1
Banned

Originally Posted by Rustyg500
Thanks Mike. That is what I feared. 50 cycles does no good if you are having intermittent issues and I do not have a Scanalizer. With the code staying there for 50 cycles then you do not know if the code being displayed is recent or residual so you have no idea if you have fixed the problem.
Here is a link to a short video for the Daytona TwinTec Scan II tool. This tool will allow you to view and clear the trouble codes on your bike.

The new version of the tool is called TwinScan II abs. It sells for $400. But you do not need that version. You need the older version, Twin Scan II (not abs). I do not see it listed on their website.

I have the Twin Scan II but I cannot use it anymore because I have a 2016 bike and it will not work on my new bike.

I recommend you call Daytona Twin Tec and talk with Alan Alverez. He is the owner and possibly the nicest owner of a big company that you will ever talk to. Tell him you have a 2002 Road King and you need to view and clear trouble codes. Maybe he has one of the older units sitting around the shop.

Here is the phone number 386-304-0700.

You might consider getting one of these because you now know you may need it in the future.

Daytona TwinTec is a great company and they make good products and they are extremely easy to talk to.

NOTE: He says in the video it is for 2001 - 2011 Softails. But I know for a fact they work for the dynas, because mine worked on the 2004 wideglide.

If you call him make sure you tell him you have a 2002 Road King.

Last edited by MikerR1; 11-10-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:03 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Here is a link to a short video for the Daytona TwinTec Scan II tool. This tool will allow you to view and clear the trouble codes on your bike.

The new version of the tool is called TwinScan II abs. It sells for $400. But you do not need that version. You need the older version, Twin Scan II (not abs). I do not see it listed on their website.

I have the Twin Scan II but I cannot use it anymore because I have a 2016 bike and it will not work on my new bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuekJniNEyU

I recommend you call Daytona Twin Tec and talk with Alan Alverez. He is the owner and possibly the nicest owner of a big company that you will ever talk to. Tell him you have a 2002 Road King and you need to view and clear trouble codes. Maybe he has one of the older units sitting around the shop.

Here is the phone number 386-304-0700.

You might consider getting one of these because you now know you may need it in the future.

Daytona TwinTec is a great company and they make good products and they are extremely easy to talk to.

NOTE: He says in the video it is for 2001 - 2011 Softails. But I know for a fact they work for the dynas, because mine worked on the 2004 wideglide.

If you call him make sure you tell him you have a 2002 Road King.
Dont take this the wrong way but were you able to get your own bike fixed?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-10-2016 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
The following users liked this post:
RiverB (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 08:18 PM
MikerR1
Banned

Originally Posted by deadman77
Dont take this the wrong way but were you able to get your own bike fixed?
What do you mean? My bike is not broken. The only thing that does not work on my bike is my stock gas gauge and I have no intention, as of now, to have it fixed. The Range option (how many miles I have left in the tank) does work. Since the range option works off of the float in the tank (as the gauge does) I am not going to worry about the gas gauge. Maybe 2 years from now I will have it fixed under warranty.

Last edited by MikerR1; 11-10-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:27 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member

What do you mean? My bike is not broken. The only thing that does not work on my bike is my stock gas gauge and I have no intention, as of now, to have it fixed. The Range option (how many miles I have left in the tank) does work. Since the range option works off of the float in the tank (as the gauge does) I am not going to worry about the gas gauge. Maybe 2 years from now I will have it fixed under warranty.
I am asking about the 5 day wont run on Saturday or Sunday issue.
You have much advice to offer but cant seem to get your own to the proper techs to get it figured out.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:29 PM
MikerR1
Banned

I am asking about the 5 day wont run on Saturday or Sunday issue.
You have much advice to offer but cant seem to get your own to the proper techs to get it figured out.
I do not think that is a bike malfunction. I think it is the fuel that I am using and the way that I am filling up my tank. I think there is a very simple solution to my problem but I will spare you the details.

Also, I did not say it won't run on Sat and Sun. I said that if I let it sit for 5 days it does not run good on Saturday, but, it does run good on Sunday.

Last edited by MikerR1; 11-10-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:31 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member

Nuff said from me. There is a simple solution.
Take that statement the way you want to.
In before the lock.

Last edited by deadman77; 11-10-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:34 PM
MikerR1
Banned

Nuff said from me. There is a simple solution.
Take that statement the way you want it.
I won't know until next Saturday if the simple solution works or not.

Quick Reply: Resetting trouble codes (DTC's)