General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Stabilizers: Yes/No, who cares?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Dave Randall
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Stabilizers: Yes/No, who cares?

I have always lived in regions where I pretty much rode year round. Now I live where winter occurs - not northern tier winter, but maybe 1-3 consecutive months of VERY questionable weather.

I've used stabilizers (e.g. Sta-Bil) for long-term motor storage for years, but rarely for my bike because I would usually be burning fuel regularly. And at times over the decades I have used gas (successfully) that was pretty old.

Now, I keep my tank topped off after every ride to minimize air/moisture and add a dash of stabilizer after each outing because I do not know if my next ride will be 2 days or 2 months.

What are the thoughts on stabilizers? Is 1, 2 or 3 months for gas too long to sit in a tank without stabilizer? Is it even necessary for <1 year?

Old 12-22-2016, 03:55 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,377 Likes on 2,644 Posts

I add Sta-Bil like you do....don't know when my next ride will occur due to weather, over the winters months.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I am also on the snow band.of hell (north), and so far, I have never put it in my tank. Always mean to but never get around to it and it fires right up when ready.

I did see someone here mention that ethanol gas in your tank / rubber parts of fuel lines and other stuff will corrode over time if left in the tank and lines for long periods of time. Not sure if it is true or how long it has to sit before problems happen. If I remember, it was. Ot a high percent either. Do a search.

Me, I might get around to using it. It only sits 2 to 3 months. If it was allot longer, than maybe. But as of not probably not. My lawn mower sits allot longer and it's fine.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:25 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Drain it or stabilize it. Some say if you top off you can go quite a while without needing stabilizer but since nobody has a crystal ball to tell the future - better to be safe.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Backforty
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,866 Posts

If you can, store it with a full tank of 100% gas. Ethanol gas doesn't store well for long periods of time. Something called phase separation, also the ethonal attracts water. Stabilizer for ethonal fuel is designed to prevent both but why bother with that, just use 100% gas.fwiw

The following users liked this post:
boston jim (12-23-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 07:49 PM
leaky
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes - actually I'd say in anything that is sparsely used or might not use a tank of fuel within a month, I use marine ethanol treatments in every tank. Usually it's the Marine Stabil, which they call "360" now or something, whatever the case, something that is a stabilizer for marine engines meant to deal w/ ethanol problems. Why marine? Well because I figure it's probably better than what they sell for lawn mowers when you are talking about storing hundreds of gallons for 6 months at a time in many cases, with engines that cost $30,000 or more.

If I fill up a jerry jug it gets stabilizer, my small engines get it in every tank. My boats get it in every tank. My bike gets it once I approach the off season in every tank, ie August. It does not hurt in any manner I can see.

My experience is this - lots of fuel in a tank (ie 20 gallons, 200 gallons, not 2 gallons), yes you can have problems but they are less likely, especially when there is little air space in the tank, ie full tank. The smaller the fuel container and less full it is, the more the fuel changes over time.

When I store something usually I top the tank off w/ stabilized fuel, less air, less problems. Sometimes, like with the engines on my boat, I take it a step further and I run them on a separate tank using "tru fuel" or equivalent that they sell for small engines (bought at home depot or places like that), basically is an expensive non ethanol fuel, $6 a quart or something, very little $$ when you just need a couple quarts to help assure your engine fires up perfect in the spring.

One of the worst qualities of ethanol is when it deteriorates fuel lines and drags black sludge into the carb/injectors - this feature gets worse the older the fuel is, turns caustic, also bad for metal parts in general at that stage. Stabilizer, keeping the tank full, and/or running an engine off non-ethanol fuel prior to storage all combat such issues.

Jon

boston jim (12-23-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 07:55 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Put ethanol gas in a mason jar. Look at it after a month. Yes, add sea-foam, stabilizer, etc. Will you be okay most time? Yes. Will it gum up on you now and then? Yup..... I've cleaned carbs one too many times on older snowmobiles that I forgot to sea-foam. PITA.

Ideally, use non-ethanol gas and you're pretty much good to go without sea-foam for a long time, but I still do when I store for the winter.

boston jim (12-23-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:06 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

No more than it cost I use it in everything, every little bet helps

Old 12-22-2016, 08:15 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Yep I use it. HD has one they sell called Ethanol Guard or something like that. Last ride of the year, usually around Thanksgiving for me I will ride to the gas station with the stabilizer in my pocket. Pour in the correct amount of stabilizer and then top off the tank with Premium gas. Drive home, about 3 miles which circulates the treated gas through the lines and injectors and call it good. Bike usually sits for about 3-4 months or so.

Last edited by HenryT; 12-22-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:43 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

If I was going to store the motor for 3 full months I might add a stabilizer.

I don't live where that's a problem so I don't add any. I keep the tank topped off and the longest I have to keep it parked is in the five to seven week range.

Quick Reply: Fuel Stabilizers: Yes/No, who cares?