General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More info concerning motorcycles and hearing loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 04:23 PM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Default More info concerning motorcycles and hearing loss

I saw the threads on this subject and thought someone might like to see this. It's a compilation of research I've done concerning firearms and hearing loss, but the principles are the same for any exposure to loud noise.

Data concerning motorcycles is nearly synonymous with chainsaws according to the chart. I.e., the "noise" is roughly equivalent.

The way you actually hear something is that hair cells (small hairs in your inner ear) vibrate from the result of moving air hitting them, transmitting a message to your brain. When they are assaulted by an extremely loud stimulus (e.g. crash, jet engine, gun shot), they get "pushed down" a little. They never "stand back up" to their full extension. This damage is cumulative and is the primary reason people lose their hearing as they get older. The loss of frequency (pitch) recognition can be segments of the full spectrum, all hertz between low and high.

Facts on noise levels:

1. Decibels measure sound pressure and are logarithmic. That means that only a 3db increase almost doubles sound pressure, a 6db increase quadruples sound pressure, etc.
2. Gradual hearing loss may occur after prolonged exposure to 90 decibels or above.
3. Exposure to 100 decibels for more than 15 minutes can cause hearing loss.
4. Exposure to 110 decibels for more than a minute can cause permanent hearing loss.
5. At 140 dBA noise causes immediate injury to almost any unprotected ear.
6. There is also the more extreme ‘acoustic trauma’, which is an immediate loss of hearing after a sudden, exceptionally loud noise such as an explosion.

Comparative noise levels and length of time exposed to cause permanent damage

.223 rifle factory load 155.5dB
38 special factory load 156.8 dB
Jet engine taking off 140 dB
Thunder/Ambulance siren 119 dB
Hammer drill 113 dB
Chain saw/Earphones/Concert 110 dB
Bull Dozer 105 dB
Tractor/Power tools 96 dB
Hairdryer/lawnmower 90 dB
I use Howard Leight Laser Lite ear plugs when I ride. They are rated at NRR 32dB. Motorcycle riding is rated at the same level as a chainsaw on some charts which means, according to the second paragraph above, hearing damage can result as quickly as 1 minute of riding. Assuming the 110dB figure is correct, with NRR 32dB plugs, that brings it down to 78dB which is considered acceptable.

I have permanent hearing damage/tinnitus likely mostly caused by hunting before hearing protection was viable. Since I started riding late in life I prefer to protect my ears as much as possible and am glad I live in a state that has not outlawed hearing protection while motorcycling.

One consideration has to do with the way the plugs are inserted. I watched "Deepwater Horizon" this past Saturday and noticed they used (in the movie) the same plugs I use. Except, they didn't actually "use" them. The plugs have to be compressed and inserted into the ear canal rather deep. Then they expand block out a significant portion of the noise.

In the movie some of the guys didn't even have them inserted in their ear canal. One guy just stuck them in the curvature of his outer ear so that it "appeared" he had plugs.

A lot of people use ear plugs, but because they don't know how to insert them, they don't protect their hearing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Strugatsio:
LoneWoolf (04-10-2017), roadkinglobo (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 04:29 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,377 Likes on 2,644 Posts

I use earplugs on long range rides.....also I use a full face helmet which helps.
Good video on how to install earplugs....

Old 01-30-2017, 04:32 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,244 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Huh???

Old 01-30-2017, 05:33 PM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

After years on the flight deck and flight line while in the US Navy, 30 years in Law Enforcement with sirens and firing weapons (plus hunting) and a lifetime on a Motorcycle guess I am doomed. I always wore ear protection in the Navy and while on the firing range but not while hunting and I don't use them on the motorcycle.
Luckily I have just some loss in one ear at 62 yoa

Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

As you get older your eardrums become less flexible and stiffen. This is also a great contributor to hearing loss. Aging WILL cause audio frequency and sensitivity loss just as loud or sustained noise can cause inner ear damage. No fun in getting old.....

Old 01-30-2017, 06:07 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,043 Likes on 11,063 Posts

My selective hearing is so bad, my ball and chain has to text me.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I've been a drummer for almost 30 years, mainly in garage punk bands. I started using custom made ear plugs maybe 15 years ago every time I played. They're not cheap: you get them from an audiologist, and they are made from a mold from your own ears. I used them on my XL1200X, which had V&H Straight Shots on it with the stock baffles. The bike was really, really loud. My Slim? Not so much, and I didnt use the plugs so much last riding season. But I promised myself that I'd use them more this year.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:10 PM
Scootertrash60
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

EEEEeeeeeeeeEeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeee

is what I hear everyday. Harley's with drag pipes, guns, and screaming women are the cause, not necessarily in that order.

The women didn't usually start screaming until they woke up next to me sober.

Last edited by Scootertrash60; 01-30-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:35 PM
TOTLKOS
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

I have 4 pairs of molded ear plugs with one pair that has been molded to "clip" my ear bud ear phones in them so I can listen to my ipod anytime-on the plane, bike, where ever I feel the need to hear some tunes if I'm not at home. I've been wearing molded earplugs for almost 20 years now. The question I propose is "what's your hearing worth when you're not as young as you use to be- or wouldn't it be nice to hear your grandchildren of all things?" My father has gone pretty well almost deaf from being a Police officer and working as a guard in the Penitentiarys. He also use to shoot black powder with you fellow American's in Montana at Rendezvous days in Eureka MT as well as here in Canada. And yes I do wear mine when I'm riding-I still like to hear my wife's voice when she's talking to me...........Just saying.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Can you guys recommend any particular custom molded plugs?

Quick Reply: More info concerning motorcycles and hearing loss