General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to live with year round riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:02 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Best place to live with year round riding?

Ok so im sick of the Northeast. Ive been researching like crazy places to move to some day ri get the hell out of here. Sick of 7 month long winters and crap roads amoung a million other things.

Ok so here is the criteria. Nice weather most of the year, affordable houses, decent taxes, not over runned by illegal immigrants, safe from crime and natural disasters, good schools, great scenery, no over the top extreme liberal politics, conceal carry permit, and has to have at least medical marijuana.

One of the places ive been looking at is Redding California. Or near by counties. With that said. I know California has liberal politics, high housing costs, brain washed schools, high taxes. Its a shame such a beautiful area. But from researching ive heard Redding area is mostly conservative? Even if thats true i would still think it would be affected by state laws.

The Pacific Northwest really intrigues me. Live the scenery and all the national parks, redwood forests,waterfalls, lakes, volcanic parks. It would ve awsome for riding adventures. But dont want a lot of rain. Which is why i would lean more to Northern California being that its mostly sunny there.

Thought of Arizona. But i dont think I would like being in a desert all my life. Maybe Northern AZ? Dont know? Florida is way to humid and flat and over populated for my tast. And the center if the country is not my cup of tea. Especially tornado alley. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night after the first crack of thunder. Id be thinking about an f4 or 5 taking us out.

​​​​​​​So is Northern California good? Or still has a lot of the same problems as So Cal? Any other places similar in land scape with nice weather that meet the criteria?

The following users liked this post:
Sturgeon (04-03-2017)

Top Answer

04-01-2017, 03:46 PM
ccain529
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I know California has liberal politics, high housing costs, brain washed schools, high taxes. Its a shame such a beautiful area. But from researching ive heard Redding area is mostly conservative? Even if thats true i would still think it would be affected by state laws.
I moved to Southern California in 2008 from back east. I've also lived in a few other states. It seems like the only people bitching about California have never even been here and don't have clue one. So, let me dispel a few myths for you.

1. The only thing more expensive out here is cigarettes and gas.

2. The law is the law and chances are the laws here are more laid back here than where you're at now. And you can f#c&ing plea EVERYTHING, even the scum bags that have DUI's can get off scott free with the right representation. I mean, Christ, we can f#c&in' legally lane split for God's sake and a new law has been voted on and passed to legalize weed here without the need for a medical card. As long as you don't make yourself a target, you're good to go. It's the same in every single state in the country. Red lights still mean stop and you can't just go around murdering people.

3. I've known more gun owners here than I ever did back east. No ****, my neighbors on either side have freakin' arsenals in their damned homes, I've seen 'em. AK's-AR's-hand guns and everything, stacked so thick they almost can't close their gun safes. And also, you absolutely CAN get a concealed weapon permit in the state of California. You have to fill out paper work, take a safety course, and not be a scumbag, but you can do it. I personally know of 6 people in my neighborhood that have CCW's and I live in wine country where the crime rate is low.

4. TAXES. Where I came from you had personal property taxes on every damned thing. House, boat, bike, car, dog... And you paid personal property tax on your vehicle AND had to have it inspected EVERY DAMNED YEAR before you could get your tags. It was expensive as hell! Out here your vehicle taxes are included in your tag renewal and other than smog every two years, there's no inspection. It literally costs me 1/3 the price, per vehicle to own than it did back east. And the property tax on my home is about 2/3rd's what it was back east.

5. NO TAXES on food! There is no tax on food at the grocery store in California. And a loaf of bread cost exactly the same here as it does everywhere else, but there's no tax on it so you end up paying less for it.

6. They sell liquor at the goddam grocery store. No ABC stores or any of that crap and there are no dry counties or blue laws.

7. DO NOT believe the hype. Cali is the most beautiful state I've ever lived in, and I've lived in few. They're not brainwashing our kids, for Christ sake (I'm getting real tired of that old argument!!!). The liberal f#c&tards aren't in the streets oppressing anyone who doesn't believe the same things they do and we have as just as many conservative f#c&tards as any other state. California is NOT always on fire and the ground DOESN'T always shake and Malibu ISN'T constantly sliding off into the Pacific. The media and all the idiots in other states (who's politics you should actually be worried about) do not have one inkling of what it's like out here. Although, I don't really want them believing otherwise because it keeps their dirt out of my state.

8. I ride my **** YEAR ROUND here. Give-or-take that one month of the year in winter where we get a lot of rain, but it doesn't rain every day. And I ride on some of the worlds best roads for motorcycling.

Last edited by ccain529; 04-01-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:12 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Florida.

The following 4 users liked this post by SWThomas:
13RoadKing (04-04-2017), Cossack84 (12-23-2019), Viaqua (04-05-2017), Woffski (12-23-2019)
Old 04-01-2017, 10:16 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,950 Likes on 1,709 Posts

I had to snowblow the driveway today...................still snowing. Can I come with? I like AZ, wife not so into the idea, but I may be able to change her mind. I will be looking at TN, SC, GA in a few years or so.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:16 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

It sounds like you're looking for Middle Tennessee, Northern Alabama. . . something like that.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Most of the inland California is fairly conservative. Unfortunately the densely populated Bay Area, So Cal LA area and along the coast that drive politics, and the rest Of us are forced to live withose policies and high taxation. Oregon and Washington state are not any better.

Property values are lower inland too, but in many cases it gets Texas hot in the summer. Redding sees well over 100 degrees, much like the central San Joaquin Valley where I live.

It still gets cold in the winter, but not Northeast cold. The lowest I've ever seen here is 19 degrees and that was an anomaly. 30 degrees is typical low.

The main problem with California in my mind is the taxes. We have the highest income tax and the second highest fuel taxes in the nation. If Moonbeam gets his way, we might be the highest with fuel taxt too as he is proposing a 12 cent per gallon tax increase to pay for road maintenance. That's what Measure C was supposed to be for, but they raid for other things like paying for their sanctuary policies. If I was not anchored by family, I'd move to Utah or Idaho. I reckon I would be classified as a "deplorable."

But the riding opportunities are too numerous to count. Desert, coast, mountains. California has it all.

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 04-01-2017 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rossman (04-04-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 10:28 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Almost anywhere in the Southwest is good.

Arizona has concealed carry without a permit, concealed carry with a permit and open carry. The CCW permit is recognized in most states, except the west coast and the Northeast.

We have medical marijuana.

There are many areas in Arizona with high elevations that get snow in the winter, but are a relief from the heat in the summer. Flagstaff at 7,000 feet just got snow yesterday.

Property taxes are reasonable, as is the cost of living. Motor vehicle registration is based on the current value of the vehicle. New cars can be $700 or more to register the first year, but will drop every year after that.

In the Phoenix area it can be very hot in the summer, but with very little humidity. Hydration is the key. During those months, most ride only in the early morning or get out of town before sunrise, head for the higher (cooler) elevations, and come back after dark.

You can easily visit California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado or New Mexico on a day ride.

Last edited by joe.1955; 04-01-2017 at 10:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by joe.1955:
Cotton Hill (12-28-2019), nick@nite (12-29-2019), oldbie (04-03-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
It sounds like you're looking for Middle Tennessee, Northern Alabama. . . something like that.
I love the Smokey MT area in the South. But still Humid and they dont have Medical Marijuana for my pain. Which is something im looking into taking for it in the future.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:11 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

+ Mike Lawless. When it gets hot in the Sacramento Valley, we head over to the coast. Nothing but great riding & beautiful scenery. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:17 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Texas, New Mexico, Arizona

Old 04-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Texas, New Mexico, Arizona
Yep, and I'd add Utah to that. And contrary to popular belief, they're not all sand and cactus. I moved to New Mexico from Illinois 33 years ago, and motorcycling was a big reason for that. I've never regretted it.

Quick Reply: Best place to live with year round riding?