General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"What's your biggest complaint with riding in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Statuesque
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts
Default "What's your biggest complaint with riding in the rain?

What's your biggest complaint with riding in the rain?

Mine, cleaning up the bike afterwards. HATE IT! It's the first thing that goes thru my mind, how much of a pain cleaning the bike will be.

Not that I enjoy riding in the rain, but if out on a rode trip I won't sit it out if it is raining. Once on a multi-day trip, I had a friend ask me what I was going to do if we got up some morning & it was raining. My response, take a look at the radar and if it looks as if it will pass soon wait it out, but if it looks like it was going to be raining for a while put on my rain gear and head out.

I will also say that sometimes when out on a trip, my wife (she rides her own) and I will travel a few miles out of our way to avoid or go around a rain system.

Heavy heavy rain with very low visibility and lots of pooling on the rode I will pull over for and wait for conditions to improve.

As far as rain gear, I have gotten smarter with riding experience. I used to carry rain jacket with rain pants, plus riding jacket & chaps for cooler situations. Now I carry riding pants that serve as both rain gear and cold weather gear. Fly Butane overpants that are 100% waterproof and have a zip in & out cold weather lining, and I have went to multi function 100% waterproof riding jacket. Why carry a rain jacket & pants, riding jacket, & chaps? Plus the overpant liner doesn't take up much room if you don't need it.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Getting wet.
Turning corners in town.
Cleaning the bike afterwards.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChickinOnaChain:
Cozz (05-10-2017), uncle kebo (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Cleaning afterwards.
wear a half helm, so getting stung also.
otherwise rain doesn't bother me, I don't love it but it won't stop me.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

When vision gets limited I'm not comfortable.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

Having to put on the rain gear sucks - it's restrictive and uncomfortable. Long hauls in a cold rain suck. Cagers are even more blind to our presence. Slick roads. Those are the things I hate riding in the rain. I never wash Reaper anyway, so the cleaning part doesn't come into play.

Cheers!

Last edited by Clammy; 05-10-2017 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
toppy (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 AM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Cleaning the bike up later. Every time I ride in a hard rain, every nook and cranny on the bike seems to be covered in a hazy, dirty film... necessitating at least a multi-hour 'deep clean' wash & polish.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

When the rain is so torrential that you can't see. We get those kind of rains a few times a year here, you can't avoid it, you're riding on the highway and that wall of water is coming towards you in moments. No time to stop and wait it out, nowhere to stop safely or no shelter. Woosh, you are drenched there is water in your eyes and you can't see the bike in front or behind you, or the car next to you. All you can do is point the bike and pray.

The following 2 users liked this post by uklauren:
baka1969 (05-11-2017), Redoilokie (05-12-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:14 AM
toppy
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't mind it honestly.. only part i don't like is if i get caught without bee wax for the visor
though i had to get off the freeway once cause it was like riding through a river during one of the "once in a decade" storm so cal has every 8 months..

Old 05-10-2017, 11:26 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Cleaning the bike. After the first couple of rain rides, my wife no longer wants to ride in the rain after having to clean her own bike. Now she knows what I went through for years when she was just a passenger. Back when I was on sport bikes that were covered in plastic, ridding in the rain was not a big deal. Just wash it like a car.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Other than getting soaked, my concern is always the cagers on the road who barely look out their windshields on a clear day from texting, and probably haven't kept up on new wiper blades in the rain.

Quick Reply: "What's your biggest complaint with riding in the rain?