General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle engine import Australia

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:05 AM
Woden
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle engine import Australia

this is probably a question to some of our Australian members but in my pursuit to rebuild my HD I'm trying to get the lay of the land regarding import for registration purposes.

so as far as I can gather Australian laws don't care too much about parts, but if a vehicle is imported (especially a make/model that was never offered in Australia) but I know an engine/frame will be a problem as the numbers won't have been offered in Australia. There is also an exception for vehicles made before 1989 but again most of the legislation is geared towards complete vehicles.

So so my question is if anyone has anyone has imported vehicles into Australia or rebuilt Harley's from components and engines from the US what the overall process is and if there's any pitfalls to be mindful of??

I have a model In mind (1977 Ironhead bobber) and I've found a seller in the states who has a large supply of original parts. I can call the government departments but they're like the DMV - very inefficient and frustrating.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:51 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts

I can call the government departments but they're like the DMV - very inefficient and frustrating.
[/QUOTE]

Stick with the Government Departments , ask for a copy of the guidelines. If you can't get one, make a note of who you spoke with and when. Good luck.

Last edited by roussfam; 06-22-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Woden
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
Stick with the Government Departments , ask for a copy of the guidelines. If you can't get one, make a note of who you spoke with and when. Good luck.
I plan on calling them. My point I guess was to have a better understanding so when I call I ask the right questions.

Oftentimes if you don't know the exact specifics of what you're doing you end up getting either the wrong answer (in hindsight) or bounced from agency to agency. With private companies unless you know you're stuff you can be getting ripped off.