General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Riding Practices

Old 08-18-2017, 06:37 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Best Riding Practices

This morning on the way to work I experienced a red light runner. I came to an intersection. First at the red light stopped waiting for green.
The light turns green for me red for the cross traffic. Here comes a BMW right through the red light.

Every time I am the first at a red light. I look both ways to make sure that there isnt a knucklehead coming through. This action probably saved me from a potentially ugly situation.

Another one of mine that I think I read in a training manual is to give other people a chance to be bad drivers.

Dont merge right away when highways meet.
Move into a lane further to the left when cars are merging onto the highway.

In the twisties, I make sure I can see the exit of curves before I roll on (where applicable).

So what are some of your best habits/practices while riding ? Ive been riding for a long while but always like to try to sharpen the skills.
I searched and reviewed resulting 3 pages for a best practice thread ... didnt see anything ..

Last edited by sumncguy; 08-18-2017 at 06:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (08-21-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,723 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Being in the ready position at a stop was drilled into my head in motorcycle training. Right foot on the brake, in first, clutch pulled. I also tend to be to the left of the person in front of me just enough to keep myself from becoming a motorcycle sandwich. Sitting with both feet on the ground playing drums on your tank at a red light could turn out to be a fatal mistake.

The following 3 users liked this post by hellonewman:
fsae0607 (08-18-2017), mctraveler (08-21-2017), Roorat60 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 06:49 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

I slow down at all intersections when the light is green for me and all side streets. People like to turn right on red without stopping or just pull out in front of you on a side street.

mctraveler (08-21-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 AM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Does a Bear stand in the middle of the road?

The motorcycle handbook give directions about how far you should be from the car bumper in front of you. To make it simple I put it in these words:
"For every 30 MPH leave one complete tractor trailor (70 feet) of space."
People will look at all the "wasted space" and jam in there the minute you leave it.
But keep dropping back and allowing room as having a head's up about what is going on in front of you WILL save your life for these reasons (I have MISSED every one of these)...
Loose driveshaft rolling around in the road.
A mattress.
A car crash happening right in front of you.
A bear standing on his rear legs.
I don't mind being ten seconds late by doing this exercise.
I am in no hurry when I cruise around.
Be safe.

mctraveler (08-21-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 AM
drew88
Cruiser
Received 124 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Avoidance mode

I try to go slightly faster than traffic so it's approaching me from the front, not from behind, until I can find a spot to maintain some space around me. I try to accelerate away from traffic at stoplights for the same reason. I try to get away from for distracted drivers, looking down at their phone, random braking, leaving a big gap, hanging in other vehicles blind spots, rubbernecking, etc., so when they suddenly do something (else) stupid, I'm not collateral damage. There are also certain vehicles I try to avoid but that's a whole 'nother subject

Old 08-18-2017, 08:30 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

See it all the time we had cameras all over the place here in Florida. But the laws on our books say they cant be used i was in favor and happy about that. But now i am rethinking the situation and think Camera may be our only option to at lease fine the drivers who will not follow the rules. Hit them in the pockets hard rise there insurance rates maybe we'll have a chance.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:35 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Maintain as much "visual conspicuity" as possible. Unfortunately, with the advent of iPhones, it may not make much of a difference.

"Head and eyes, up!"

The following 2 users liked this post by NORTY FLATZ:
mctraveler (08-21-2017), Roorat60 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 AM
JWP07
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for posting OP!

This is one of the subjects on this forum that keeps me coming back. It was not too long after reading a similar thread I was making a left turn (on a green left turn turn turn traffic signal) when the person on the opposite side of the intersection decided to make a right turn into my lane at the same time (they had a solid red light).

It is the constant reminders about being alert and maneuvers in emergency situations in this forum that I credit for allowing me first keep calm and then to look for the best escape path (found enough room to my left and partially into the oncoming traffic lane - there was a car coming but he was far enough away to see what was happening that he was able to move further to the right in his lane to give me room to safely get around the car that almost took me out with their front quarter panel). It was not till I was past that person that they even saw me and then they slammed on the brakes. A gross late reaction to say the least!

Originally Posted by rleedeuce
I have MISSED every one of these)...
Loose driveshaft rolling around in the road.
A bear standing on his rear legs.
I don't mind being ten seconds late by doing this exercise.
I am in no hurry when I cruise around.
Be safe.
Hmmm...sounds like a story there!

mctraveler (08-21-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 AM
RIkoSuave55
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

slow at every intersection with hand on brake
watch the horizon for trouble not right in front of you
stay out of left side blind spots
never stay behind truck hauler or moving trailer
wait until you see the end of the curve before hitting the apex
slow for every unknown curve or hill you cant see out of
Drive in the middle or slight left of it, position yourself to be seen
I turn my flashers on at the first sign of jam or disruption
never drink and drive
Dont Lane Split
DOnt speed except to pass hazardous vehicle then get back to safe speeds

In reading, I found the number one cause of wrecks is cars making left turns and or merging left, stay out of blind spots and assume that guy in the turn lane wants to kill you. Slow throttle down and fingers on brake. Fingers on brake can save you 1-2 seconds Or 20-30 feet! Depending on speed.
The next big one is impaired driving, over half of fatalities involved substances
Next is driver error! Namely taking curves too fast, or driving fast on wet or hazardous conditions, speeding,

If you are cognizant prepare for the worst, treat every intersection as if predators are out to get you, dont speed, and dont use substances, you GREATLY REDUCE YOUR ODDS OF FATAL CRASHES!

Be safe!

mctraveler (08-21-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:03 AM
imjdoggie
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Best advice I can give............Always assume they are going to pull out.

The following 2 users liked this post by imjdoggie:
mctraveler (08-21-2017), Roadrage1996 (08-21-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Riding Practices