General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a Child as a Passenger on Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:56 AM
07SGrider
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Have a Child as a Passenger on Motorcycle

Good morning you all!

So here is my story, I am a 30 year old with 6 years riding experience (approx 25k miles behind handlebars). For a while now I have been debating on what is a proper age to let me son ride with me on my Harley. He is 4 1/2 but doesnt reach the pedals yet. I have looked into gear that will allow him to be attached to my back and was wanting to know what you guys opinions are on the matter.

What is a good riding age for a child? (personal experiences are welcomed)
Does anyone know of some quality equipment made for having an undersized passenger on my bike?
What safety gear do you think is necessary?
What are some tips you can give me if I end up putting him on my pilion?

This thread doesnt have to answer only my questions, it can serve as future reference for others wanting to know. So personal experiences, ideas, and ALL opinions are welcomed.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:14 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,662 Likes on 1,229 Posts

The first place I would check is Texas law. A lot of states have minimum age requirements, and if you plan on hitting public roads I would definitely make sure you are legally good to go.

Other than that I'd wait until his legs are long enough to reach the passenger boards/pegs. I'd also get him a full face helmet and protective jacket/pants/boots/gloves...the whole thing. No idea where to find that stuff in kids size though.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:17 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,043 Likes on 11,063 Posts

Check your state law about passengers reaching pegs/floorboards.

The following users liked this post:
07SGrider (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:17 AM
07SGrider
Banned

Originally Posted by BTLorys
The first place I would check is Texas law. A lot of states have minimum age requirements, and if you plan on hitting public roads I would definitely make sure you are legally good to go.

Other than that I'd wait until his legs are long enough to reach the passenger boards/pegs. I'd also get him a full face helmet and protective jacket/pants/boots/gloves...the whole thing. No idea where to find that stuff in kids size though.
I will do that. My first intention is to take him up and down my street just for fun. I live in a gated subdivision that is only 1 street with a cul de sac. No poe poe (or traffic) whatsoever =)

Old 01-30-2018, 09:21 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

Ive wondered the same. When I checked it was 5yrs old minimum. Either way, I wouldn't put one one my bike that couldn't reach passenger pegs and also had the strength to hold their own body weight. The was my old man's requirement when I started riding with him. I had safety gear but buying used works well since kids outgrow things so damn fast. I normally wore Carhartt bib overalls as I did nearly every day. A leather jacket, boots, gloves of some sort and a good hand me down helmet. Made a lot of miles on the back of the shovelhead I currently own before I ever piloted it myself. Riding for a kid is an awesome thing. I used to beg my dad to pick me up from school on it, it was extremely bad ***.

The following 2 users liked this post by 67Shuv:
07SGrider (01-30-2018), FNGonaRK (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 423 Likes on 257 Posts

Sometimes put an old child card seat on the luggage rack of the bike with a fake baby (looks realistic enough) bundled up in it. You should see the looks I get from people when I ride around with it, but I haven’t been stopped for it.

Last edited by Wowser; 01-30-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:28 AM
07SGrider
Banned

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
Ive wondered the same. When I checked it was 5yrs old minimum. Either way, I wouldn't put one one my bike that couldn't reach passenger pegs and also had the strength to hold their own body weight. The was my old man's requirement when I started riding with him. I had safety gear but buying used works well since kids outgrow things so damn fast. I normally wore Carhartt bib overalls as I did nearly every day. A leather jacket, boots, gloves of some sort and a good hand me down helmet. Made a lot of miles on the back of the shovelhead I currently own before I ever piloted it myself. Riding for a kid is an awesome thing. I used to beg my dad to pick me up from school on it, it was extremely bad ***.
Thats exactly what I want to hear right there. I never grew up doing fun things. My father was away throughout my childhood so I was mainly rasied by my momma who always said NO to fun things lol. I see my son showing some interest in Motorcycles. He wants to help me turn wrenches when doing tinkering with the bike. I want him to grow up and have memories of his old man (NOT TOO OLD RIGHT NOW) showing him "the ropes" and ultimately riding next to me...safely of course!

Originally Posted by Wowser
Sometimes put an old child card seat on the luggage rack of the bike with a fake baby (looks realistic enough) bundled up in it. You should see the looks I get from people when I ride around with it, but I haven’t been stopped for it.
Now thats an idea. My wife is currently pregnant with my second child. You just gave me a good idea for next years April the 1st prank......I will start collecting donations for my funeral as of today. Feel free to PM me for my paypal information

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-31-2018 at 08:36 AM.
FNGonaRK (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:40 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 07SGrider
Thats exactly what I want to hear right there. I never grew up doing fun things. My father was away throughout my childhood so I was mainly rasied by my momma who always said NO to fun things lol. I see my son showing some interest in Motorcycles. He wants to help me turn wrenches when doing tinkering with the bike. I want him to grow up and have memories of his old man (NOT TOO OLD RIGHT NOW) showing him "the ropes" and ultimately riding next to me...safely of course!
As soon as he's old enough, let him clean it and rub on the chrome by himself, pay him in crisp dollar bills and carry him around your neighborhood on that clean bike. I was referring to mostly riding out on more open public roads, highways etc in my previous post. I have a real long driveway and I've taken my 4yo daughter to the mailbox and back when her momma wasn't looking just gotta be more careful than careful, since low speed maneuvers are typically when you're gonna drop it anyway if you are. You know your riding limits, and hopefully still practice basics. I still take some cones and go to a parking lot once or twice a year after riding for 20years. My dad also taught me that. Stay sharp, there's always someone in a 4 ton hunk of steel just waiting to turn you into a greasy spot on the pavement.

07SGrider (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:58 AM
SSpeeDEMONSS
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I think I was like 6 when I first rode on the back of my dads. Have a lot of good memories from back then.

Garrett

07SGrider (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,137 Likes on 5,590 Posts

I took my kids for a few rides around the neighborhood or local, in town rides when they could reach the foot pegs. I was never comfortable taking them out on the road.
IDK how I would have been able to live with myself if the unthinkable happened. Always remember how truly dangerous motorcycle riding is. Yeah it would probably be a fun time for both of you but the consequences of a crash could be tragic and permanent. Not trying to bring anyone down, just something to consider.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
07SGrider (01-30-2018), FXDXTSport (01-30-2018), nb472 (02-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Have a Child as a Passenger on Motorcycle