General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Harley survive by building in America ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 04:02 PM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Can Harley survive by building in America ?

Went to my local dealer and purchased two new Alloy wheels for my 2016 Harley, when they arrived I unboxed them at the dealership and noticed a made in China sticker , Really Harley ? $ 800.00 for two rims made in China . After doing some research I found out that Harley had been building their rims in Australia for the last 20 years a company they owned named New Castalloy ( Adelaide ). After doing some research I read where Harley closed this plant and layed off some 120 workers and moved production to China . ( cheap slave labor no EPA rgulations and low taxes ) I'am ok with my rims being made in Australia but not China . Anything that comes out of China is junk . It is great to know that I have be riding on cheap China alloy wheels . Apparently Harley is now at less that 50% USA made parts in their bikes and must report assembled in America not made in America , some Federal law to protect consumers I will continue to buy Harley's but never a new one again . I will look for older bikes made in the 1960's . I will also now buy a rice burner at least I know what I'am getting . So the question is can Harley continue to build any bikes in the USA for it's future and return a profit for the shareholders ?

Last edited by brudford; 04-07-2018 at 04:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by brudford:
Campy Roadie (04-08-2018), RandyL (04-08-2018), TenMidgets (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 04:13 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

H-D, like many USA auto manufacturers have been using component parts as OEM's from China and Japan for decades.

At least they're assembled on U.S. soil, providing our folks with jobs for over a century. Just my opinion, but I think if H-D was start making their V-Twins anywhere else it be the final nail in their coffin.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2AMGuy:
Campy Roadie (04-08-2018), GPHDXLC (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 04:20 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Hummmm
About 5 years ago I bought a set of OEM 40 spoke wheels for my Fat Boy. And to my surprise, the boxes were prominently stamped.... MADE IN GERMANY!
Lol.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:25 PM
H/DSpringer
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Don’t quote me as I am a “newbie” but as a Purshasing agent certain components may not be available/manufactured on US soil but only through distribution. It’s the world we live in now.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:44 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Hummmm
About 5 years ago I bought a set of OEM 40 spoke wheels for my Fat Boy. And to my surprise, the boxes were prominently stamped.... MADE IN GERMANY!
Lol.
That one is easy. the boxes really were made in Germany.

OP - he answer is yes.

But why survive when you can flourish?

The following users liked this post:
bikerlaw (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 04:47 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 496 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by H/DSpringer
Don’t quote me as I am a “newbie” but as a Purshasing agent certain components may not be available/manufactured on US soil but only through distribution. It’s the world we live in now.
Try to buy a US made TV, radio, digital watch, cell phone, computer, DVD player...the list goes on and on. Nobody can possibly blame these manufacturers either; there has been no incentive to make anything here in the US, in fact just the opposite. No import tax or very little, no unemployment insurance, no inventory taxes, no business taxes, nothing. The way it has been for a very long time.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 04:49 PM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Why wouldn't componets be avaiable in the USA for Alloy wheel making . Lets see now , a billet of Alloy steel, a wheel cutting CNC lathe with CAD . I was at bike week last Fall in Myrtle Beach and there was a maker of custom motorcycle alloy wheels he was explaining the process to me . I contend that Harley just does not want to pay the labor for an employee to work the lathe . Cheaper to have it made in China and ship across the world . There is no reason for Harley to not make their own wheels . I can seee certain electrical componets but not wheels . I forgot to mention I did not buy the Haley made in China rims . My daughter lives in Murrels Inlet SC. I will go to the spring rally and order my wheels from the custom American builder . And they are not that much more money .

Last edited by brudford; 04-07-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:50 PM
zodder
Road Captain
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

They would survive, but the Harley you bought that was "Made in America" would either be made of mostly cheap chrome covered plastic or cost about $50K......

Old 04-07-2018, 04:54 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
Try to buy a US made TV, radio, digital watch, cell phone, computer, DVD player...the list goes on and on. Nobody can possibly blame these manufacturers either; there has been no incentive to make anything here in the US, in fact just the opposite. No import tax or very little, no unemployment insurance, no inventory taxes, no business taxes, nothing. The way it has been for a very long time.
Plus when it gets imported there's a nice duty tax on them so the government gets their cut 'o the cash. Nobody gets hurt but the little guy stuck working at Wal-Mart for minimum wage.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm old enough to have lived thru the "Made in Japan" junk. Yes, that was the sentiment that I believe most Americans felt back in the 60's,70's and 80's. The Japanese junk was then replaced by "Made in Taiwan", then perhaps "Made in Korea", now "Made in China" and "Made in Vietnam".

Not sure what will happen but is seems most Japanese "junk" is now pretty highly regarded by many Americans. Perhaps even Taiwan and Korea have gained some standing also. Maybe when we start to see "Made in Haiti" we'll start to appreciate the "Made in China" or "Made in Vietnam" stuff.

The following 7 users liked this post by Xcrossbow:
EdsRoadGlide2017 (04-09-2018), GPHDXLC (04-07-2018), HenryT (04-08-2018), perki48 (04-09-2018), SoCalHDMC (04-15-2018), TenMidgets (04-08-2018), Torky_SOB (04-12-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Can Harley survive by building in America ?