General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawaii!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 10:39 PM
Beads
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawaii!!

Hey everyone, So I’m heading over to Hawaii in may. First going to Kauai then to Honolulu, I have hired bikes in Kauai before and am doing the same again.

Does anyone have any recommendations on sites to see??

Also so does anyone know of anywhere in Honolulu or surrounds that stocks Andrews or woods products??

Thanks legends 🤙🏼

Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,664 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Beads
Hey everyone, So I’m heading over to Hawaii in may. First going to Kauai then to Honolulu, I have hired bikes in Kauai before and am doing the same again.

Does anyone have any recommendations on sites to see??

Also so does anyone know of anywhere in Honolulu or surrounds that stocks Andrews or woods products??

Thanks legends 🤙🏼
I can't really be of much help to you, but if you dont find anybody locally that stocks andrews/woods products, you should be able to order it to your hotel. I'm assuming you're looking for a camshaft...shipping shouldnt be too bad. Atleast compared to shipping to Australia.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:54 AM
wxmcpo
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

Since you've been to Kauai before you know how laid back it is there, big difference from Honolulu. If you're going to rent a bike in Honolulu the best ride I can tell you about Oahu is to take H1 south which will end up taking you through Hawaii Kai. You'll want to take 72 and eventually 83 up along the east coast of the island. It'll take you all the way up along the coast and to the north shore. From there you can take H2 all the way back down to Honolulu. Mileage wise the ride isn't that long, but the sites are awesome. Traffic as you get closer to the north shore will increase so you'll go very slow in some parts.

Sites to visit along the ride include Hanauma Bay, the blow hole, Macadamia Nut Farm, Chinaman's Hat, Leie Point (absolutely must stop there), stop at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck for a bite to eat (an absolute must), then some of the best beaches you will see anywhere, Dole Plantation, etc.. This is an edited video of myself doing part of the ride, but Youtube contains several videos that show the same or similar portions of the ride.

Depending on the type of bike you rent, your riding skills or how adventurous you feel, I would also recommend a ride up Tantalus Mountain. At the top it has some of the best views of the island.

Non motorcycle stuff you can also do are hiking to the top of Diamond Head or Koko Head. They both have stairs (well Koko Head actually has more like railroad tracks going up it).

Have fun!

Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,406 Likes on 2,960 Posts

Based on the freeway traffic I saw every morning, I'd rather sit on the I-5/405 freeways in Orange County. Yes, Honolulu's that screwed up. Worse than LA. (Almost as bad as Sandy Eggo!)

Want a great "Hawai'ian" experience? Rent your HD on the Big Island. Kona HD is where I go. 280 miles takes all day.
The submarine tour (Kona) is cool too. (We went down 106'!)

Old 04-12-2018, 10:57 AM
ldepatie
Road Master
Received 814 Likes on 381 Posts

after this winter in wisconsin I could just sit in the sun there for a whole day!!

Old 04-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Beads
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input!! I never thought about getting them shipped to me while I’m over there, I’ll look into that !

i won’t be riding on Oahu as we have plenty to do already while we are them there. I’ll only be riding in kauai, last time we rode up to Waimea canyon and covered most of the lower half? I think haha, this time we might head up to Hanalei bay and further that way.

I have ridden Kona before too that was beautiful, right up in to the mountains, an experience I’ll never forget!

cheers 🍻🍻

Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 PM
retep2281
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't been in 15 years, but I would recommend getting the Hawaii revealed book for those two locations. They're written by locals and give you all the best spots that the "tourist" books don't tell you....... wait isn't that a tourist book? Anyways I used the Maui revealed book when I went and it literally tells you what mile markers to stop at and how far to hike to find awesome waterfalls that look like they're from a movie and other stuff like that. I've recommended them to everyone who I know is going.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

The worst traffic that I have ever hit has been Honolulu. FYI, the Big Island is the place to ride a Harley (I have ridden dozens of time on Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island). Whether it's circling the entire island or riding between the near 14,000 peaks, it's a blast. 👍