General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving from Los Angeles, CA to Orlando, FL

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:42 PM
Poolmouse
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Moving from Los Angeles, CA to Orlando, FL

I'm planning on relocating from Los Angeles, CA to Orlando, FL in a few weeks.

I have a few questions for any Orlando, FL area riders who are willing to share.

I see three Harley Davidson dealers in the Orlando, FL area, which one is the best?

I'm looking for an area to move to that is biker friendly and near a dealer, what's a good area?

PS, I plan to rent a place, and I *must* have garage (for car and bike).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-24-2018, 09:22 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,296 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Michigan. Here's an idea scroll down in the forums menu selection to the Florida gang. My brother lives in Orange City/ Deland area and commutes to his work, bus driving for WDW. We grew up in Sanford many decades ago and watched Orlando grow by leaps and bounds. I could recommend different areas by I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you any good answers, again look up the Florida gang and good luck in your transition.

The following users liked this post:
Poolmouse (10-11-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:29 PM
AbqDave
Tourer
Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

I was raised up in Fla, don't have a ton of riding miles there but know my way around the state. I would suggest looking in the northwest part of town, ideally out towards Clermont is where I'd try to be. Traffic really sucks in Orlando, you really don't want to do cross town commutes. But, that puts you close to some every decent biking.

My favorite ride is up the coast through Homosassa, Crystal River, round the bend all the way to Pensacola. Stop off at Tyndall and watch the F22's do touch and go's, awesome. Pristine sugar-sand beaches the whole way. To Appalachicola and back is a truly fine road trip. Going the other way, everything from Cedar Key to Gainesville and the back roads from there to either Jacksonville or through Micanopy to Ocala are great. So being in the north or northwest of Orlando puts you close to some nice rides with minimum exposure to the 4, which is still my least favorite highway of all time and I live in Cali now. Or 75, which is just as horrible but in a slightly different way. Or 19 south of Homosassa, just slit my wrists now.

It gets chilly and rainy in the winter but catch it between fronts and you can ride all year. Never gets Vegas hot but it's darn humid in the summer. Late fall into December is exquisite, as is the early spring.

Believe me, you won't be riding alone. Plenty of bikers around and people aren't all hating on them. Cops won't be hating on you either, I have a friend who is FHP who sometimes patrols up that way, she's like most of the LE I've met, super professional, super nice, mainly just wants you to stay safe. Treat em with just a little respect and you'll get the same in return. To be clear, don't speed through the teeny towns!!!

Florida is not biker nirvana by any stretch but make sure the north florida woods are in your backyard and you'll have a grand time. Cedar Key doesn't look like much but it's stupid fun. So is Gainesville. So is Appalachicola. So is Crystal River. All great road trips.

Dunno about dealerships but that's where the open road is. Get out there brother!

Poolmouse (10-11-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 AM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AbqDave
I was raised up in Fla, don't have a ton of riding miles there but know my way around the state. I would suggest looking in the northwest part of town, ideally out towards Clermont is where I'd try to be. Traffic really sucks in Orlando, you really don't want to do cross town commutes. But, that puts you close to some every decent biking.

My favorite ride is up the coast through Homosassa, Crystal River, round the bend all the way to Pensacola. Stop off at Tyndall and watch the F22's do touch and go's, awesome. Pristine sugar-sand beaches the whole way. To Appalachicola and back is a truly fine road trip. Going the other way, everything from Cedar Key to Gainesville and the back roads from there to either Jacksonville or through Micanopy to Ocala are great. So being in the north or northwest of Orlando puts you close to some nice rides with minimum exposure to the 4, which is still my least favorite highway of all time and I live in Cali now. Or 75, which is just as horrible but in a slightly different way. Or 19 south of Homosassa, just slit my wrists now.

It gets chilly and rainy in the winter but catch it between fronts and you can ride all year. Never gets Vegas hot but it's darn humid in the summer. Late fall into December is exquisite, as is the early spring.

Believe me, you won't be riding alone. Plenty of bikers around and people aren't all hating on them. Cops won't be hating on you either, I have a friend who is FHP who sometimes patrols up that way, she's like most of the LE I've met, super professional, super nice, mainly just wants you to stay safe. Treat em with just a little respect and you'll get the same in return. To be clear, don't speed through the teeny towns!!!

Florida is not biker nirvana by any stretch but make sure the north florida woods are in your backyard and you'll have a grand time. Cedar Key doesn't look like much but it's stupid fun. So is Gainesville. So is Appalachicola. So is Crystal River. All great road trips.

Dunno about dealerships but that's where the open road is. Get out there brother!
Very well written and informative.

Poolmouse (10-11-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

I live in Clermont and love it here. Great riding in the”mountains “ of Florida, lol. As for dealerships, I’ve not bought any bikes here, but my buddy just got a screaming deal from Space Coast HD in Melbourne. Good price on trade too! Welcome!

Poolmouse (10-11-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:42 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Why Orlando? Florida is a big State with a lot of very nice areas to live and ride. Orlando is a VERY busy city, unless city life is what you are looking for, I'd consider some other areas in Central Florida.

And as an aside, finding a rental to meet your requirements may be difficult. Housing is a very precious commodity in the Orlando area because of many factors...The Attractions, the influx of refugees from PR, etc. This subject is almost a nightly News item.

I don't know much about the Dealers in the Orlando area, but Bruce Rossmeyers "Destination Daytona" over here in Ormond Beach area near I-95 exit 273 if a very large dealership and offers a lot to its customers. The Service gang are nice to work with and the parts guys are nice and helpful. Sales personel are very friendly...but they ARE sales personel! J&P Cycles is also in the same complex.

Good luck with your move to Florida...ride safe when you get here.

Poolmouse (10-11-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:57 AM
fegod
Cruiser

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Seminole Harley Davidson is probably the best in the Orlando area I got a great deal on a pair of 2018s a few weeks ago. The three Orlando Harley dealerships all have the same owner, they are nice but not as willing to bend.

Stay outside of the winter Park and Orlando proper area and you should be ok. Traffic is a mess in those areas,

Poolmouse (10-11-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

If I were in the Orlando area and I wanted a good dealership I'd make the 30 minute or so trip over to Lakeland Harley-Davidson. That's where most folks I know from this side of the state go. They seem to make the best deals around.

No matter what you consume in the Orlando area I think you'll find prices to be somewhat higher due it's proximity to Disney. Being the tourist mecca that it is it's almost like Vegas in that from the moment you arrive in the area the goal is to relieve you of every dollar in your pocket before you leave. Good luck on your relocation.

Poolmouse (10-11-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:37 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the dealership until you're sure you can survive the culture shock.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
donmontalvo (05-04-2019), Poolmouse (10-13-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:57 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Being from LA you'll be used to heavy traffic if you move right into Orlando, so that probably is not a big deal to you.
In my opinion the best dealers - price wise - would be Seminole in Sanford or Space Coast in Palm Bay. They are both the high volume dealers in FL. Stay away from Rossmeyer's. Their prices are the highest on the planet. Anyone who buys a bike there obviously didn't shop around.
East of Orlando, all the way to the Atlantic is more biker orientated, as far as bars & events go. I don't think the riding is as good east and south of Orlando though.
West and north of town has better riding, but nowhere near as many true biker bars or events.
Once again, I'm guessing that since you're from LA, you wouldn't mind an hour commute to Orlando, so you could get a less expensive rental north of Orlando. Get into the sticks, like Altoona or Paisley and you'll be the middle of some good riding and in a location that's easy to get to the Daytona area or the Gulf Coast to the west. A little west of Clermont might work too. I've heard Sanford is reasonable. But this is Florida, not LA, so what I consider high rent may be cheap to you.
Good luck with your move!

The following 2 users liked this post by Daytona Fat Boy:
donmontalvo (05-04-2019), Poolmouse (10-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Moving from Los Angeles, CA to Orlando, FL