General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bike for new rider

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Webbie
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best bike for new rider

My son is 6’ 4” so a small bike is out of the question. He has very little riding experience. Any suggestions for his first street bike?

Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I'm 6'3", have ridden many small bikes and a few scooters, and none were "too small" for me. Forget the size of the bike for a moment and think about the weight he has to control and repair cost. Harley doesn't fit a beginner in those categories. Don't worry about what he looks like on it, worry about is he going to walk away from it after every ride. A lot depends on the boy's attitude and ability; some of us can and have started on Harleys with little problems, some tried a big bike first and got hurt and had expensive repair bills. I bought a Honda scooter a couple years ago that's more comfortable for my length than some big twin Harleys I've ridden, don't dismiss something smaller and cheaper to start with till he's tried it. Personally, I really think something that should be considered for a first bike is how much you're willing to lose on it if it doesn't work out and you want to sell it, or if gets wrecked. If he's buying it himself... you probably won't have much to say about it anyway.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:29 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

ninja 400 or a streetbob

Old 01-13-2019, 06:31 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Find something that's easy to ride and cheap to get into in the event he doesn't like it or the bike takes a tumble. Early in the game it's all about building basic skills, Something like a Honda CB or other "standard" has the correct ergos and balance for new riders.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:39 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Check out the Superglides, one with mid controls for now and maybe install an engine guard (find pre-owned guard on e-bay). then once the confidence level comes up remove the guard (sell it) and install some forward controls. It is a blank canvas for mods and personalizing it.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:48 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Webbie
My son is 6’ 4” so a small bike is out of the question. He has very little riding experience. Any suggestions for his first street bike?
Not to sound smart-assed bro but from this information I'd suggest his first street bike should be the one they provide him at his rider safety training course. You both will have a much better idea as to what will be a suitable purchase once he's completed the program.

These courses are really the ideal way to start and can be very cost effective when you consider the discount he may qualify for when it comes to purchasing insurance later.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

The following users liked this post:
skootchnc (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 PM
Webbie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Not to sound smart-assed bro but from this information I'd suggest his first street bike should be the one they provide him at his rider safety training course. You both will have a much better idea as to what will be a suitable purchase once he's completed the program.

These courses are really the ideal way to start and can be very cost effective when you consider the discount he may qualify for when it comes to purchasing insurance later.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
He is taking the rider safety course in April. In CT you have to take the course and I would push him to take it even if he didn’t have it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Webbie:
Jshopes (11-13-2020), maydaymike (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Webbie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Imold
I'm 6'3", have ridden many small bikes and a few scooters, and none were "too small" for me. Forget the size of the bike for a moment and think about the weight he has to control and repair cost. Harley doesn't fit a beginner in those categories. Don't worry about what he looks like on it, worry about is he going to walk away from it after every ride. A lot depends on the boy's attitude and ability; some of us can and have started on Harleys with little problems, some tried a big bike first and got hurt and had expensive repair bills. I bought a Honda scooter a couple years ago that's more comfortable for my length than some big twin Harleys I've ridden, don't dismiss something smaller and cheaper to start with till he's tried it. Personally, I really think something that should be considered for a first bike is how much you're willing to lose on it if it doesn't work out and you want to sell it, or if gets wrecked. If he's buying it himself... you probably won't have much to say about it anyway.
He found an 02 wide glide that he likes with 15k on it . There asking 6200 but he is looking for my advice. I have a 15 limited and have little experience with any thing other than a bagger . He is definitely buying it himself .

Old 01-13-2019, 07:28 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

Schwinn.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

What ever he has his eye on is what he should ride. I have said it before, if what he wants was the only cycle built and he wanted to ride he would learn to ride it !!

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (01-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Best bike for new rider