General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley chopper

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 05:37 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

The 50s was indeed a time of unique artwork from the guys just off the farms and back from the war(s)
A lot of originality, as there was no catalog or internet for that matter, there was NO ONE
to buy anything from as far as custom.
If you wanted different bars you were going to make them!
From rods to bikes it was a beautiful
time.
Its kind of sad to see it slip past and people never build anythng anymore.(most)

Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 PM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
...Its kind of sad to see it slip past and people never build anythng anymore.(most)
Or what is built requires a $10,000 machine to make.
What was done back then was not only hand made, it was typically made with improvised methods and tools.

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:54 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

49 Pan/Shovel garage built with parts from police auctions,parts left behind at local indies,swap-meets,friends and brothers. Welding and paint farmed out. IBIMS crapie pitcure

nuff said

Last edited by lonesum; 02-14-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:59 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Someone did a nice rake to it.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:14 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Back in the day (2007/8) Harley did sell production choppers - Thunder Mountains Keystones.

They looked the part, sold off limited showroom floors, had Harley motor and electrics BUT did not carry the 1HD vin so not all Harley dealers supported them and they carried a a $45K price tag!

My buddy had one, we rode from Florida to Texas when he had a few problems so took it to the local HD dealer, they wouldn't touch it, said wasn't a true Harley, he was sure pissed !

I do have a friend (woman) who brought one from new and still rides it today, me personally, rode my buddies once and that was enough, beautiful to look at, got loads of attention but a real bitch to ride!

NCBANDIT (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 AM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Been done, somebody was selling a hardtail frame in the late 80's for FLT & FXR drivetrains. Off the shelf custom frame frame prints I doubt you find, factory manual used to have a spec sheet for the older 4 speed frames but the moco quit that in later years for liability issues.
I remember seeing an FXR in a rigid long ago. Haven't seen an FLT in a rigid. I have no doubt it exists but my Google image search comes up with nothing. Seems like a good idea, maybe there is something wrong with it I cannot see.

My hand skills with a tubing bender are dogpile. I do have access to a CNC bender and laser so I should be able to handle that. I have an FXR frame I can pull numbers from. A project I should get off my *** and do.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:55 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Mid '80's (?) Paughco made rigid frames for FLT drive trains. I built a 5sp shovel on one. Loved that bike... so did my ex's lawyer.
Should have went with my first plan.
I'd be out of jail by now and still have that bike...

TwiZted Biker (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by painey
Back in the day (2007/8) Harley did sell production choppers - Thunder Mountains Keystones.

They looked the part, sold off limited showroom floors, had Harley motor and electrics BUT did not carry the 1HD vin so not all Harley dealers supported them and they carried a a $45K price tag!

My buddy had one, we rode from Florida to Texas when he had a few problems so took it to the local HD dealer, they wouldn't touch it, said wasn't a true Harley, he was sure pissed !

I do have a friend (woman) who brought one from new and still rides it today, me personally, rode my buddies once and that was enough, beautiful to look at, got loads of attention but a real bitch to ride!

Never knew that. Beautiful bike, exactly what I was envisioning.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:34 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Dehammer
I remember seeing an FXR in a rigid long ago. Haven't seen an FLT in a rigid. I have no doubt it exists but my Google image search comes up with nothing. Seems like a good idea, maybe there is something wrong with it I cannot see.

My hand skills with a tubing bender are dogpile. I do have access to a CNC bender and laser so I should be able to handle that. I have an FXR frame I can pull numbers from. A project I should get off my *** and do.
Drivetrains the same in the FXR & FLT's they are interchangeable, you can find FLT's dirt cheap compared to a running FXR.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:29 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by NCBANDIT
Never knew that. Beautiful bike, exactly what I was envisioning.
Buy this, fix what was wrong from the factory and save big bucks.
Nobody wants em anymore. BUT that is usually when the MOCO gets in the game.

It will not sell even at that price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Big-Do...3:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Harley chopper