General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley chopper

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 AM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,180 Likes on 10,237 Posts

Want a “chopper”, look on Cragslist.
There’s usually a bunch on there with really low miles.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Most people don't even know the history of the chopper.
They don't know where, why, or how they came about

To say "you want a store-bought one" is to say you dont know jack shet about them.
Ignorance and arrogance-----pretty much the same vain.

I can't argue your first point but as far as the 2nd point, different veins indeed. (Ignorance is bliss while arrogance is more like ****.)

Old 02-11-2019, 07:17 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by LoneBone
There's a Honda Dealer in my town, and I don't believe I've ever run across a Honda Fury on the road, and they don't go to the same bars that I do either.....
I have only seen a few myself but someone is buying them They have been in production for 10 years now.

I admit Harley riders are not going to buy a Honda Chopper, especially only 1300 CC's, But if Harley made something that looked great with a 114 engine for under 25K, it would be a success.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 AM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Okay, I don't think I was overly harsh, but I was pretty quick to denounce the concept.

Plain and simple. Choppers or other custom bikes very simply are art. When YOU choose parts for a motorcycle for aesthetic reasons rather than functional ones (yes, they can be both!) that's a personal expression of YOUR taste and ideas on what the bike should look like. That individual concept is art! You're a freaking artist!!! It doesn't matter if you make the parts in your own garage or pick them out of a catalog and pay the dealer to bolt them on, it's still your concept of what the finished product should look like. You can buy home decor at WalMart, or you can create a painting. Hang either on your walls and they have the same effect of decorating your crib. Most people can discern the difference in this analogy though. It is the same analogy some are trying to convey in the "built not bought" thing.

When you go to some gallery and buy an expensive painting, it may have the same impact on visitors to your house vs. a WalMart Elvis on velvet picture, but it is not the same as your own painting! That make any sense?

If you choose to pay someone else to create your own style for you, there's nothing wrong with that. ...if that's what you're about. A chopper though is something individual. A reflection of the builder not the buyer. You can pay someone to write a song for you, even if you're tone deaf. That makes you the song's owner, it does not make you a songwriter. No two choppers are alike, or at least shouldn't be. When that happens, the unique factor has been diluted to nothing more than another production bike. It is no longer art, it is a product, just as prints, even limited edition ones, are not paintings!

Who'd a thought this would be so difficult to explain? I think it was Antonio Scalese who said of pronography; "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it." This is kinda the same thing.

The following 2 users liked this post by username already exists:
danhahn (02-12-2019), painey (02-14-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by dickey
Nothing wrong with buying a chopper; some people dodn't have the incination, time, or ability to build one. I am one of them...no desire to build a bike, but I love old skool chops.
But if the MoCo made one, I guarantee it would look like ***, again with that stupid looking bobbed rear fender I'm always bitching about.

If I were in charge of design, I would bring back the NightTrain, WITH the original ducktail, gloss black engine covers, & a 117". I wouldn't be able to get to the dealer fast enough to plunk down my cabbage.
That could be a problem. I vote to put you on the design team!! That would look sweat.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hey Man
You don't buy a chopper. You have to build it. Building is the journey you have to make in order to have that one of a kind something that a chopper is. Nobody can build it for you. Riding a chopper you didn't build is the ultimate example of a fraud, dell' impostore, of being a poser. And it's a fact that a majority of riders don't even know what a chopper is.

I have to applaud your Forrest Gump addition. Good One!!

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:32 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw

Harley DID build a factory chopper. And it was a flop. No surprise there.............
They Called it the ROCKER!
I was real close to buying one. Glad I didn't but it had my attention for a while.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by username already exists
Okay, I don't think I was overly harsh, but I was pretty quick to denounce the concept.

Plain and simple. Choppers or other custom bikes very simply are art. When YOU choose parts for a motorcycle for aesthetic reasons rather than functional ones (yes, they can be both!) that's a personal expression of YOUR taste and ideas on what the bike should look like. That individual concept is art! You're a freaking artist!!! It doesn't matter if you make the parts in your own garage or pick them out of a catalog and pay the dealer to bolt them on, it's still your concept of what the finished product should look like. You can buy home decor at WalMart, or you can create a painting. Hang either on your walls and they have the same effect of decorating your crib. Most people can discern the difference in this analogy though. It is the same analogy some are trying to convey in the "built not bought" thing.

When you go to some gallery and buy an expensive painting, it may have the same impact on visitors to your house vs. a WalMart Elvis on velvet picture, but it is not the same as your own painting! That make any sense?

If you choose to pay someone else to create your own style for you, there's nothing wrong with that. ...if that's what you're about. A chopper though is something individual. A reflection of the builder not the buyer. You can pay someone to write a song for you, even if you're tone deaf. That makes you the song's owner, it does not make you a songwriter. No two choppers are alike, or at least shouldn't be. When that happens, the unique factor has been diluted to nothing more than another production bike. It is no longer art, it is a product, just as prints, even limited edition ones, are not paintings!

Who'd a thought this would be so difficult to explain? I think it was Antonio Scalese who said of pronography; "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it." This is kinda the same thing.
I understand your point of view and it makes sense, but that doesn't mean Harley couldn't be successful marketing one.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 AM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
Damn, you guys are harsh on this one. How many of you that commented have built a custom bike, Chopper or otherwise? I know a few of you have, anyone still have pics of past projects?
My '88 rigid was built by me, I know every nut, bolt and busted knuckle.

The following users liked this post:
Duracell (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

You want to buy a chopper? Any number of guys out there who'd gladly take your money and put one together for you.

A factory-built chopper? No such thing, IMHO. Maybe a kind-of-looks-like-one-at-a-distance Faux Chopper. But not a chopper.

The point of choppers is making them personal. Anything from the factory would be a watered down, lowest common denominator bike. Who wants that?

I built the green bike in my sig. To me it's perfect. You you? Don't care. I built it for me, not you.

Last edited by 0maha; 02-11-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley chopper