General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD security key fob question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 03:32 AM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,216 Likes on 3,179 Posts
Default HD security key fob question

As I was walking out to my bike tonight and de-activated my Security system, I wondered-

What happens if I arm the system, and then come back and the battery in the key fob switch is dead. Am I stuck with a bike that won't start ?

Old 07-07-2007, 03:45 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HD security key fob question

Nope, there is a sequence of buttons you can push to de-activate the alarm. I am at work right now, so don't have the book handy, but it is in your owner's manual. The sequence is set to a default. If it isn't in the book, call the dealer you bought the bike from and ask him the proper sequence. The instructions for changing it to your own personal sequence is in the manual. I know the sequence that my dealer put in, so I have had several occasions to bypass friend's alarms. This has come in handy when they didn't know theirs, but it is not a good situation. I bet I could disable the alarms to a large percentage of the bikes in my area. That is a scary thought when you think about it.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:18 AM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,216 Likes on 3,179 Posts

I was thinking that my owner's manual was locked up in my saddlebags- but I'd be an idiot to admit that I was almost thinking ( well, obviously NOT thinking ) somehow that I couldn't open a saddlebag without starting the engine.

It was a miserable evening at work, and then there's the story of the idiot in the Pontiac minivan who pulled out in front of someone who almost hit me trying to avoid the Ponti-idiot, and then the Ponti-idiot 5 seconds later tried to finish the job he started earlier, and that's another thread but I'm too tired obviously and now I'm rambling and not thinking clearly and I don't know what time I have to be at the airport tomorrow morning or is it today and well......

Thanks. I'll shut up now.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

shut up...and drink a beer for me. hehe. It sounds like you had the kind of day that needs to be put behind you.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:36 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor

I was thinking that my owner's manual was locked up in my saddlebags- but I'd be an idiot to admit that I was almost thinking ( well, obviously NOT thinking ) somehow that I couldn't open a saddlebag without starting the engine.
Well actually, you were thinkin...... if you walked away from the bike and set the security, you probaly also took the time to lock the bags. Lose the Fob and you lose the key attached to it.

Might be an idea to take one of those detachable cards from the back of the owners manual with the disarming sequence printed on it and stick it in your wallet. it evens providesa place to insert you PIN.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:07 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another no-no is on an '07 with the button-less fob. don't store the spare fob on the bike! it has to be away from the bike to activate the system.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:10 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,840 Likes on 1,684 Posts

This has happened to me. Went into an establishment and had a few beers and came out and the battery was dead on the key fob, and I was about 500 miles from home. Luckily, it was on a Saturdayand my local dealer was open. They walked me thru the process and was on my way-to the nearest place I could get a battery. The bike was only 4 months old at the time.After that, I learned to carry an extra battery with me..

Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, as stated above the dealer's all put in the same code, well, not the same exact code, but they all do the same thing.

If you got a '07 I would suggest changing the original code, 'cuz anyone, and I mean anyone who knows about it can turn your alarm off.

Takes about 20 mins, and that includes finding the owner's manual and reading the alarm section.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 AM
AF07
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gman

another no-no is on an '07 with the button-less fob. don't store the spare fob on the bike! it has to be away from the bike to activate the system.
Well, duuhh? Some of you guys need to read the friggin owners manual. And if you have thesecurity system,take the card that came with bike, that includes the directions on how disarm without a FOB and should have your pin on it, and put it in your friggin wallet. Just a thought...

Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's exactly why i carry a spare battery for the key fob in my tool kit... Plus the same battery fits my oil temp dipstick.

Quick Reply: HD security key fob question