General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are front single disc brakes opposite rear brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Why are front single disc brakes opposite rear brakes?

The topic came up in one of the groups I'm in on facebook - "Why is the rotor on the left side of a single rotor big wheel kits?" It seems the most accepted answer is that it balances the brakes between the front being on the left and the rear being on the right. I refuse to believe this because...well...sportsters. I've heard this discussion before, and once again the most accepted answer is that so it doesn't pull to one side when braking with both brakes.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any equations or any other scientific or mathematical facts to prove or disprove this theory.

Personally, I believe that its to show off the wheel when you're parked, and that since the brake rotor is attached to the wheel thats anchored down on both sides the force applied to a single brake side would be negligible to anything that the rider would feel (if anything at all).
Even thinking about it in terms of a longer object - say a conveyor wheel or Flintstones car - does side thats getting the power move faster than the side that is not?

I'm genuinely curious and this has started up quite a healthy discussion at work (I work with a bunch of engineers) with torque-steer(acceleration is the opposition of braking) being the counter argument, but once again....sportsters.

Any ideas? Any discussion?

Old 03-28-2019, 12:22 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,783 Likes on 6,213 Posts

It's the Coriolus effect.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:40 PM
mitchxout
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mars47
The topic came up in one of the groups I'm in on facebook - "Why is the rotor on the left side of a single rotor big wheel kits?" It seems the most accepted answer is that it balances the brakes between the front being on the left and the rear being on the right. I refuse to believe this because...well...sportsters. I've heard this discussion before, and once again the most accepted answer is that so it doesn't pull to one side when braking with both brakes.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any equations or any other scientific or mathematical facts to prove or disprove this theory.

Personally, I believe that its to show off the wheel when you're parked, and that since the brake rotor is attached to the wheel thats anchored down on both sides the force applied to a single brake side would be negligible to anything that the rider would feel (if anything at all).
Even thinking about it in terms of a longer object - say a conveyor wheel or Flintstones car - does side thats getting the power move faster than the side that is not?

I'm genuinely curious and this has started up quite a healthy discussion at work (I work with a bunch of engineers) with torque-steer(acceleration is the opposition of braking) being the counter argument, but once again....sportsters.

Any ideas? Any discussion?

It's a myth. However there are many reasons a bike could swerve when using the brakes. ,Off the top of my head, loose spokes, broken axle, cracked top clamp, bearings, hub or some such major failure. Otherwise, it's a physically impossibility or manufacturers wouldn't allow single discs. Duals are for heat dissipation.

Last edited by mitchxout; 03-28-2019 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

How about to just evenly distribute the weight. One rotor and caliper on one side of the bike offsets the weight of the other side.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:20 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,976 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Wheels turn in different directions?

Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i'd go with weight distribution also. with a single disc, it doesn't matter if you have the rotor on the left right or middle, you can't slow down one side any quicker than the other, ergo. no pulling.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,233 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Fx springers have them both on the same side with no ill effects

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom84FXST:
DaveE (04-01-2019), Hey Man (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

I had an RD400 back in the day with both disks on the right side, I am of the opinion that it pulled to that side during very spirited braking.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:11 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

The same reason most bikes pull a little bit to the right, because the throttle is on the right side.

Does nobody understand physics now a days?

Old 03-28-2019, 05:16 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
I had an RD400 back in the day with both disks on the right side, I am of the opinion that it pulled to that side during very spirited braking.
completely impossible. it could be that maybe your rear end was starting to slide around having lost traction?

Quick Reply: Why are front single disc brakes opposite rear brakes?