General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unbelievable customer service from Long Ride Shields

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 04:37 PM
copaup
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Unbelievable customer service from Long Ride Shields

Let me tell you a story about customer service. It's a bit long, but I'm blown away. I don't work for these folks, but I have bought several shields from them without issue over the years.

I order a new windshield for my bike. The '19 Road King came with a pretty decent shield with a quick detach mount, but it's enormous. I logged in to the Long Ride Shields website and ordered a 16 inch replacement shield. Nice thing about LRS is they have a re-curve at the top of the shield that lets you cheat about 2 inches. The re-curve lets a 16 inch tall shield give you the wind protection of an 18 inch shield. It's magic, and it works.

So anyway, the windshield comes in yesterday wrapped in foam and covered in plastic. I get it out, make sure it is what I ordered and appears to be in good shape, make sure the mounting holes match up and such. It all looks good so I peel off the plastic wrap and mount the shield. Bear in mind, once that plastic is off and the shield is mounted IT'S MINE. LRS has no way of knowing if any defects are their fault or if I did something. They're clear on this up front, it's in the instructions, and there's even a sticker on the plastic telling you to inspect the shield closely and check fit before removing the plastic film. They are fine with punching holes through the film so you can temporarily mount the shield and check height, but once that film is off, it's yours.

I mount the shield up and it looks great. I get it out on the road and the sun hits it and I discover an issue. There is a tiny place (1/2 inch at most) on the edge of the shield where it transitions from the edge to the inner face that didn't either didn't get polished smooth or got dinged at some point. Instead of a nice rounded transition there is a hair thin hard edge that catches sunlight like a prism. It's a minor thing, but it's enough to trigger my neurotic nature that I try to keep hidden.

Normally, I'd just dress that spot with some fine grit paper and call it a day, but this is poly-carbonate with a coating, not acrylic. I shoot LRS an email telling them about it and asking what the best way for me to address it would be. I flat tell them that I didn't find it until I'd been riding the bike and that it wasn't their issue. All I want is advice on how to dress that edge.

I get an email back asking for a picture. I send it and again tell them its a minor issue and all I'm asking is the best way for me to fix it. 5 minutes after that email gets sent, my phone rings. I assume it's a telemarketer and send it to voicemail.

Minutes later I get another email from LRS stating that they wanted me to give them a call. They want me to be happy with my purchase. Well then. It's the same number that just called me. I call it back.

I get Billy on the phone. Billy is a super nice guy and I explain to him that this is in no way their responsibility. It's a super minor defect that no one without possible OCD would notice to begin with and that I hadn't even caught it until it was mounted on the bike and on the road.

"Oh, I get it," he says, "I totally get it. That would drive me nuts too." I sense I may have a neurosis or two in common with Billy...

In any case, he tells me how they finish the edges at the shop and what the best way to do it at home would be if I want to give it a try.

"And here's what I'm going to do," he says, "and don't say no because I'm already doing it. I'm sending you another shield. You want another clear one or would you like tinted?"

I hem and haw and tell him he doesn't have to do that. I was planning to order a tinted shield anyway at some point.

"Tinted it is. That way you have both."

Wait. They don't even want the original shield back?

"What would I do with a damaged shield? Keep it and if you get that edge cleaned up you've got a spare. I recognize your name from when you've bought from us before. We take care of our customers."

Yes. Yes they do. THAT is how you do customer service folk. I'd never mentioned that I was a prior customer. Not once.

So. Absolutely shameless plug for Long Ride Shields. They work. They look good on the bike. They manufacture and ship within a week of order. They actually care about their customers. If you have a Harley, Honda, or Indian and you need a new windshield, give them a look.

https://www.longrideshields.com/

The following 14 users liked this post by copaup:
5wheels (06-07-2019), BelchFire (06-06-2019), Bubba Zanetti (06-07-2019), chamokie (06-07-2019), crazytown (06-07-2019), cruisn (06-07-2019), Huskers (06-07-2019), Moose2011FLHX (06-07-2019), Pix (06-07-2019), Ripcode (06-07-2019), Scudda (09-24-2019), shorelasHD (06-07-2019), Tarkus60 (06-07-2019), Woffski (06-07-2019) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-2019, 04:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

I was also very pleased with my dealings with LRS.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

LRS has always been top notch in customer service. Thanks LRS!

Old 06-06-2019, 05:22 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Just did a pretty good run the other week (through some of the worst storms ive ever ridden in) the LRS shield was awesome, very minimal buffeting & the way the rain wicks up & over helped a lot - It was still terrible conditions but love my LRS.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:13 PM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,874 Likes on 7,720 Posts

I had a similar experience when I ordered a shield for my 06 Electraglide. My problem was when I was ordering I accidently ordered one for a 96. When I got it and realized it was wrong I called and they promptly shipped the correct one at no charge to me. They did not want me to return the wrong shield which I still have. Great customer service and when I need another shield it will be a LRS.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:38 PM
maugusta1
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

LRS only shield for me. Touring Elite is awesome shield.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

I've bought several shields from them and I've always been 100% satisfied. and you can't beat their prices either.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:27 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Imagine trying to do this with something made in india, paki or china. Pays to buy american for the most part.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:30 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

I've never dealt with them but from what I have heard on this board over and over again I will be giving them my business when its time to order a new shield for my King. Which might be soon, I have seen some hairline cracks in mine and when the sun hits it just right it gives a weird hazy prism effect around the edges.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:35 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

OP that is a great report, thanks for sharing that on here.

I have an LRS shield on my Road King, and love it. It fits perfect, the light tint is perfect. I have had it several years now, I'm careful when I'm cleaning it, and it still looks practically brand new.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable customer service from Long Ride Shields