General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State inspection

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 11:57 AM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyboy22
Same thing in Virginia. Any state inspection facility has to be able to inspect all vehicles that cross their door if that facility has the ability to repair any defective part that causes the vehicle being inspected to fail the inspection. I can take my bike to a car dealer/maintenance shop to get inspected but, I can't take my car to a bike shop because they don't have a lift to repair or replace defective brakes, exhaust, etc.. My understanding is if the vehicle has a safety related item it has to be functional and in good working order. If I added additional driving lights to my truck they have to be operational even though they weren't on the vehicle when it was produced. I'm not sure if the reverse is true though ie I removed one of my two mirrors that came stock on the bike like the OP's brake system missing one rotor and caliper. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.Check with your State Police to see if this is the case.
Yeah, it's like signal lights. You don't have to have them but if you do, they have to work. You're also supposed to have two mirrors in VA.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72
It really is odd
CA has most strict auto CARB laws but always been MC friendly even though HAs a d other clubs started here
Clubs have started in all corners of the country. And that was a long time ago. I am guessing CA got worse as time passed.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

In the UK a new vehicle requires its first test after 3 years. After that the vehicle has to be tested yearly.

I have seen almost new cars that have no right to be on the road they are in such a state.

To try and avoid a safety check what we call MOT test seems odd to me. For me it weeds out some of the idiots who don't look after their cars. The others don't care and carry on driving illegally!

Old 06-09-2019, 12:35 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,322 Likes on 8,539 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Clubs have started in all corners of the country. And that was a long time ago. I am guessing CA got worse as time passed.
Clubs started here. Law Enforcement doesn’t hassle them as long as they don’t wear their colors in town. You would ’be surprised where their club houses are located More visible in NV & AZ.
I stopped to help group coming back from Yuma run. I was in my PU with tools. Best people I ever met. I mean that.
Laws have not changed except helmet. Because Gary Busey cracked his head open drawing media attention

Come to San Diego. We’ll take you on some awesome rides. But bring your helmet.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/PrintLaws.html

Got to laugh TX requires inspecting bikes by the government, but not CA.
The inspections in Texas are not very involved. On my pick up they check lights, drive it around the parking lot and hit the horn, and they check the VIN against the paperwork and your insurance card. One guy looked underneath it once. My motorcycles they mainly check the VIN against the paperwork and insurance. One time I had a guy ask me to turn on the lights and he checked that my turn signals and brake light worked. I have never had anyone ask to ride my bikes, try to push them with the brake applied or anything like that. No through inspection of any kind such as verifying that it had dual brakes on the front OEM and now it has 1 or anything like that. Truthfully, to me, it seems like a way to verify that you have valid insurance and the thing isn't stolen. There was a story on the radio a few months back that the auto dealers association was lobbying the state legislature to do away with the inspections because they can't make any money on them. They cost $7.00 once a year.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they did away with the inspections here. I don't see that they serve any valid purpose.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:12 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired

All about personal freedom and unobtrusive state government out there isn't it?
Kind of ironic isn’t it. Yet we have helmet laws.

ive seen some scary cars on the road, that not even wouldn’t pass other state inspectiosn...but should be compacted:
- broken windshields that could not be seen through
- color tape over broken lights
- multiple lights & brake lights burnt out
- tires worn past the belts
- wheels wobbling in all directions
- bouncers that clearly have no shocks...why is that cool?

Oh yeah, regarding the op...there’s a reason HD put two calipers on the Road King...and it wasn’t to balance the look.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by Gas Smasher
The inspections in Texas are not very involved. e.
But the government doesn't even do that in non-government states.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

But the government doesn't even do that in non-government states.
100% agree with you. Saying they aren't very involved kinda supports the argument that government doesn't do things very effectively. Make rules, pass a law, accomplish nothing worthwhile but they feel good about themselves and strangely a lot of people think government is the answer to everything. Baffles me.

I like Texas and it is generally a very good place, but make no mistake, Texas has plenty of liberal garbage going on.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Clubs started here.

Wrong.

Law Enforcement doesn’t hassle them as long as they don’t wear their colors in town
Wrong again.
By the way, No self respecting club rides without their patches on.

The following users liked this post:
MadGriz (06-10-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Zerk
Banned

Just read Texas raised the age to buy tobacco to 21.

Quick Reply: State inspection