General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash Guards

Old 06-24-2019, 03:20 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Yeah, but then what happens when one of your crash guard guard guards gets scuffed?

This reminds me of shift patch protectors on boots.

I don't get worrying about scuffing your crash guards. If you have a parking lot drop and scuff the guard a bit, so what? It's there to protect your fairing/tank/bars/levers, and it did its job. Besides, you'll never see the scuff unless you crawl down and look for it.
I'm of the same opinion.

For those who are training, why spend a bunch of money to protect your guards? If you're that worried about it, use a piece of hose for a month and be done with it. Or - just replace the damn things if they good too scuffed!

Mine has been dropped twice, I'm afraid to say. Both went down gentle-ish, and they may or may not be scratched - I never bothered to look.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,570 Likes on 9,798 Posts

Yeah I think the movie was "Demolition man" and it was like 26 years ago And "crash guards " are nice, especially on a big heavy touring bike.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:22 PM
harley6768
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Well that's just dumb...you can replace the whole crash bar for that price.
Not if your learning how to ride proficiently especially slow speed skills..most guys I'm seeing say they can ride and have ridden for 20 years but can't ride proficiently from what I am seeing either. The guys who I have seen ride proficiently have dropped their bikes many times learning to really ride...I can't afford to not ride proficiently, as I value my life, and keep replacing engines guards at over $220 plus time and effort...I already dropped my bike twice practicing slow speeds....I feel it was a good investment plus research the internet and see how many people worry about dropping their bike learning slow speed skills...Heck take a trip to your local Harley on Saturday morning and see how many people say they can ride but duckwalk their bike or use 2 feet to start and stop and make slow speed turns LOL...Not gonna be me!!! I guess it's just a great idea for those who really wanna ride proficiently!!

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Malleck
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Maybe they will have airbags for motorcycles, or that foam that was in that stallone movie, where you crash and a "shell" of quickset styrofoam explodes all around you ,making a foam "eggshell" protecting you as you come to a stop...i better quit,Im giving away my Patent idea that I saw in the movies 23 years ago..
You can get an airbag on a Goldwing.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:26 PM
harley6768
Novice

Originally Posted by QNman
I'm of the same opinion.

For those who are training, why spend a bunch of money to protect your guards? If you're that worried about it, use a piece of hose for a month and be done with it. Or - just replace the damn things if they good too scuffed!

Mine has been dropped twice, I'm afraid to say. Both went down gentle-ish, and they may or may not be scratched - I never bothered to look.
cause we don't wanna ride around with hose and dumb looking gadgets....lol

Old 06-24-2019, 03:27 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,725 Likes on 6,186 Posts

You could put skateboard wheels on your floorboards too.

The following users liked this post:
2K10FBLO (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by harley6768
cause we don't wanna ride around with hose and dumb looking gadgets....lol
Your money, friend, but I think the hoses would bother you more than anyone else.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:44 PM
harley6768
Novice

Your money, friend, but I think the hoses would bother you more than anyone else.
Not for everyone....worked for us...plus I don't wanna be the guy laughed at for being a poser on a bike he can't ride well...I have noticed how many riders can't operate their bikes well in parking lots....they can only ride.straight at 60mph...Now that's a waste of money in my opinion....let me spend $25,000 on a bike I can't ride and look like an amateur doing it...yup $200 for protection, plus they show how they can be repaired easily in less time than going to get new engine guards....I'm good....sorry I tried to help others!

Old 06-24-2019, 03:45 PM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by harley6768
Not for everyone....worked for us...plus I don't wanna be the guy laughed at for being a poser on a bike he can't ride well...I have noticed how many riders can't operate their bikes well in parking lots....they can only ride.straight at 60mph...Now that's a waste of money in my opinion....let me spend $25,000 on a bike I can't ride and look like an amateur doing it...yup $200 for protection, plus they show how they can be repaired easily in less time than going to get new engine guards....I'm good....sorry I tried to help others!
Now don't be all butthurt... your suggestion is perfectly fine and appropriate for this forum. Just sharing my opinion also.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:05 PM
harley6768
Novice

Now don't be all butthurt... your suggestion is perfectly fine and appropriate for this forum. Just sharing my opinion also.
Lol...not butthurt....I think it's hilarious how some think it's stupid but yet worry enough about their chrome to cut radiator hoses or advise others to cut it for their bikes to practice in a limited manner.. .Ya can't ride around with that stupid contraption or at least I wouldnt....the site shows guys riding and doing things most of the guys who say it's dumb " can't" ...so I gotta consider the source...you know those who can "do" and those who can't "criticize" lmao....$200 for skills practice anytime anywhere with a repairable part like their site says, can't beat it!! ...show me a Harley part u can do that with.....sounds and looks like those guys have it going on the way they ride!! Glad I read what they had to say on that site...and thanks to the guys in Dallas for the info!!..I can swallow pride for my safety and my girls safety when we ride!! See ya on the rode, either with your radiator hoses or doing the very noticeable and laughable duckwalk!!! Lmao

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crash Guards