General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just test rode a Thunder Mountain Custom

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Tom Ricci
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just test rode a Thunder Mountain Custom

Just came back from a ride up the coast to New Hampshire where Thunder Mountain Custom Cycles had a demo ride going at Seacoast Harley. Had to wait a while but it was worth it. I rode a Thunder Mountain Durango and it was a FUN BIKE. I haven't been on a chopper in a while but this one was great. Very smooth ride, lots of power with the 103 c.i. motor and Baker 6 speed right side drive trans. (wish the 6 speed in my Ultra was as smooth and quiet as this one) Took a little while to get used to the 260 rear tire and raked front end but once I relaxed and let the bike sort of do it's thing in the turns, it got better and truthfully it seemed more neutral in the turns than the Hammer I test rode last year and that bike has a 250 rear tire. Power was very strong and very linear, almost electric motor like but with a LOT of power. Fit and finish on the bike were great and the model Durango i rode was kind of a "stripper' with factory hand controls. Instrument was a digital tach/speedo with one of those bar graph type of tachs so I really couldnt't get good read on the RPM's. Factory rep said this bike retails for about 28K and if I could swing a second bike, this would be a great way to go.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:47 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Just test rode a Thunder Mountain Custom

I have never rode a 'chopper'. Bet it is a fun ride. I like their baggers. Seen them up in Colorado. It is set up on a softail frame and motor, so touring might not be as nice, but man, do they look good.