General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good image or scumbag

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Jonpaul
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good image or scumbag

I've been riding for 43-years. During those years I've served in the Air Force, CHP, retired police officer, chief of police, pastor of a church, and now writer/photogrpaher. I'm not an ambassador for HD and never want to be, unless they start signing a paycheck. The biggest problem with image is that some of the HD riding population wants to look and act similar to the 1% dirt bags that ride similar bikes; when that changes, so will our image.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:19 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta say that most of the Harley wordrobe is silly to me. I live in a small town, and when I see people I know dressed up like a Hell's Angel, well it makes me shake my head. The bandanas, skull caps etc. All of this from "Joe the plumber", oo "Bill the electrician". But hey, if it makes them happy, and they can escape the rigors of their lives for just a little while, then good for them!
It's just not me..

Old 12-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I know scumbags..........

And most if not all Harley rider I know are not scumbags

Old 12-16-2005, 09:11 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.

Alot of replies to this one.

I agree with most. I am not a ambassador. I ride my bike the same i would drive my ford. I am the same person.

I treat all with respect and expect the same.

David

Old 12-17-2005, 03:06 AM
Tinker Bell
Banned

Don't think hammertime was trying to insult anyone. I love my scooter and it brings the misses and I closer. She loves to ride and it is something that we can share together. I make a decent living and have rode most of my life. I spent 13 yrs. in the USAF (C-141B Pilot) and have a pretty successful business. I ride because I love it, its hard to explain to folks, but when you get them on the back of the ride and all of a sudden a light comes on in their heads. The reply is alway "WOW" that is what I have been missing all of these years! I am loyal to HD because they stuck with it. They could have folded the tent and went by the way of Indian, but they didn't, they kept on keep'en on and that is what success is all about. They never gave up. No doubt their all about the money these days, but you can't beat the look and sound of a Harley! It is what it is, its all about the freedom of the ride! Just my .02.

tm

Old 12-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Lowman
Road Warrior

We may not be or may not want to be ambassadors...but when non-bikers see someone on a bike act stupid, rude or generally be a lowlife - they'll make a generalization that ALL bikers are that way. That's why I said I think it's a good idea to try and let non-bikers see the better side of things.

Joe

Old 12-20-2005, 09:37 AM
FLHTPjeff
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Lowman

We may not be or may not want to be ambassadors...but when non-bikers see someone on a bike act stupid, rude or generally be a lowlife - they'll make a generalization that ALL bikers are that way. That's why I said I think it's a good idea to try and let non-bikers see the better side of things.

Joe
+1 on this.

We're all representatives of "bikers" whether we want to be or not. So whenever we approach situations with a F*** the world attitude, the next biker is going to pay for it. I'm not saying it's right, but people will treat us as "we" have done to them in the past. All of the campgrounds and hotels and restaurants that don't want to serve bikers probably got that way because they are sick of dealing with all of the billy bad @ss " I do whatever I want, and f*** everybody else" types.

Certainly there are people who just suck, and don't deserve respect, and would not return respect if it was shown to them. That's a different situation, and I don't stand for being pushed either. But generally, after years of riding and hanging out with bikers I think many of us have attitude problems sometimes, and are disrespectful, but then get pissy when disrepected.

Just my 2-cents.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:23 AM
liam51
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cmorris48

Amen to what Mac and the others have said. A scooter is a scooter is a scooter...just that. How I support my family, where I worship, what I ride, How I dress or how I look has absolutley nothing to do with what kind of person I am. Get to know me before you judge me. As far as us representing Harley well.....do we get a discount for being good? By the way that last part was definitely a joke. Ain't found a discount of any real significance from Harley for anything !
Hey, cmorris48!!!

"DITTO"
Nicely said!!!

Old 12-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Renegade
Tourer

I thought lawyer was another word for scumbag?