General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceptable crank runout?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:25 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Acceptable crank runout?

While working on a comp issue I made the mistake of putting a dial indicator on the splineto check runout on my 07. It measures .007 at the end of the crank and .009 with the extension installed at the bearing face for the sprocket. Getting some conflicting numbers as to what's acceptable. I've read .012 as max but this is suppose to be at the flywheel end. There is a max of .003 at the pinion which I havn't measured but shouldn't apply for the sprocket end as well? I realize the crank could very well produce a different runout if it were on a truing fixture and both the pinion and sprocket ends may read differently to the point of even being within spec. Read somewhere it takes about .020 runout to start detecting vibration from runout as well. I detect no ill effects on the sprocket end with the .007 that's there right now and find it hard to believe that most are .003 and under after being run in service for a while. What are the engine gurus opinions on this as far as real number runouts at the sprocket?
I was a lot happier before hooking up the dial indicator. Good part is the end play was .004
Ron

Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Acceptable crank runout?

I'm a strong believer in ,"what I dont know, wont hurt me"

Old 12-02-2007, 12:48 PM
rbabos
Banned

Got these specs off another site, which are a revision, supposedly to the service manual.Flywheel specifications:
Run-Out (crankshaft in crankcase) is 0-.010"
Run-Out (crankshaft on a truing stand) is 0-.004"

Flywheel Service Wear Limits:
Run-Out (crankshaft in crankcase) is .012"
Run-Out (crankshaft on a truing stand) is 0-.005"

What this is telling me most cranks out there are not within spec of the manual. It is also telling me that HD cannot even build the cranks to their own specs and convienently up the runout limits to get out ofto suit their own needs todeny coverage.What a bunch of weasels. If S&S built cranks to these tollerances they'd be run out of town. This is an all time low for HD.
Ron

Old 12-02-2007, 12:59 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2363813/tm.htm

Here ya go Ron.

If S&S built cranks to these tollerances they'd be run out of town.
Careful here too. S&S is having issues with some cranks as well. It's my understanding that JIMS is the choice for builds as of late.

EDIT: wait till you learn about the squish band/deck height configuration fiasco on '07's and '08's as well!!!............LOL!

Old 12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

This issue has been discussed at length on another forum. Apparently, there is a lot of problems with crank runout as it relates to gear drive setup and crank 'slippage' in moderate to high end builds. The cranks need to be trued, welded and balanced for long term reliable operation. I'm not an expert, just what I've been reading.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM
rbabos
Banned

UltraKla$$ic: Ok, I guess I should be happy with .007 on the end of the spline, but for some reason I'm not. Read your link and up to speed on cranks. Now what about that squish band / deck height thing. What the deck heigths in the front and rear out by 1/4" or something?
Ron

Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbabos

UltraKla$$ic: Ok, I guess I should be happy with .007 on the end of the spline, but for some reason I'm not. Read your link and up to speed on cranks. Now what about that squish band / deck heigth thing. What the deck heigths in the front and rear out by 1/4" or something?
Ron
Well let's just say a midget and his family[] could move in your cylindersbetween the head andpiston ATDC and live happily ever after.

The following users liked this post:
Garageking (09-25-2020)