General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling below MSRP....

Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
No. Since the economy is so bad the dealers have marked the bikes way up to make up the money their losing by not selling as many as they are used to. If you wait too long the price of harleys will at least double if not triple. The prices will only come down when the economy starts working again. Better buy one quick.
+1 Car dealerships are doing the same thing... making less vehicles so the price remains high. Makes no sense to me. Let em go under or wake up one.

Originally Posted by bulkman2008
buy used , in time they`ll come down or shut down .
+1 I bought used. I was lucky and found a used bike in excellent condition with low miles and asking a reasonable price. I don't regret buying used.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

dealers here still at MSRP + set up, frieght and tax some throwing in some free service thats all I have seen

Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Savagehenry
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my 08 'Bones in August, (just before the 105th) for $2500 off.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the $1500 starting point. I've gotten at least that on the last two bikes I've purchased and didn't even try hard.

But judging from some of the posts I've seen it must depend on the area and dealer. We have 5 dealers in our area so there is stiff competition.

I've wondered how the dealers are responding to the slowdown. Since they may be selling less bikes and HD has reportedly cut back on production would the dealers jack up the price to keep their bottom line stable?.

But to hear it from the dealers in my area, business is great. And the one I was at on Sat was packed and people were buying too. Wasn't just the great weather and free hotdogs

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM
sagalong
Advanced

I have been ready to buy since December, have the cash. I have been to 5 dealers so far and none of them are selling below msrp. Three offers three walks. One had a sale last weekend for $1500 off msrp for stock on the floor. If they sell a few at msrp that should keep the lights on. There seems to be plenty of customers that think msrp plus shipping and setup is a ok deal. I think this spring should tell the tale. Still looking for my bike.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 AM
madet
Intermediate

I'm probably preaching to the choir but f*%k the dealer and look for a bike through another medium...

Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
cbigbie191
Road Master

My local dealer is just as overpriced as he always has been, and there are still people buying.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As already said, strictly a regional thing...if the "stealers" in your area aren't hurting, go to a "dealer" where they are...pick up the phone, and call around...I don't mind traveling a few hours to save some $$...if you're not willing to do that, then pony up the $$ to your local "stealer"...

Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 PM
gsport
Advanced

it seems you guys are right on about pricing.. sagalong: i got that same email for the sale last weekend for $1500.00 off MSRP.. that's what got me thinking about this. the sale said "this weekend only".... i'm thinking if they'll come down then, they'll likely come down that much anytime if you just push it a little....

Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I don’t think anybody is getting $1,500 below MSRP around here…… that’s actually the first I’ve heard of people getting that much of a deal. I would be interested to hear what knowledgeable buyers in my market are getting their bikes for.

I think we have four dealers in my state and I shopped three of them….everybody was minimum MSRP + freight + setup/doc fee or whatever. The best deal I found was only $125 doc/setup fee and $1,000 in free accessories.

I ended up letting a competing dealer screw me out of $300 more than that because they were more convenient for me to deal with. Plus, they had already installed all the parts I wanted for that $1,000 and I wasn’t certain of what the stage 1 remap cost was.

I probably ended up paying their cost on the parts….whatever though. I did get exactly what I wanted.

I may have gotten a better deal, but I’m not going to cry about what I got. I see what they sticker bikes for at the some of the local dealers and know that some schmucks pay whatever they tell them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Selling below MSRP....