General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service bikes left outside????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 PM
sgarrity
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service bikes left outside????

I just had the 1k mile service done on my bike. I left it at the local dealer for that and the right rear turn signal wasn't working. I left it on Wed. afternoon and it was supposed to be ready Thurs. afternoon. Of course, it wasn't ready on time. So they call me around 6pm on Friday to say it's ready. At that time on Friday, we happened to have a freakin' monsoon blowing through. I mean the skies opened up and there were sheets of rain falling. Needless to say, I opted to pick up my bike on Sat. morning.

I drove my truck over to the dealer to get it. My roommate would bring me over later to grab the truck. Well I get a few blocks away and notice there is some serious condensation in my speedometer. No big deal I think. Then I get home after a short ride and notice that the odometer is all messed up and is showing scrambled numbers. And my butt is wet from the seat.

Come to find out, my bike was sitting outside all night through the monsoon. I also thought it was weird that when I went to pick it up, it was sitting in the parking lot with the key in the ignition. Is it standard practice to leave people's bikes outside and uncovered??

When I went back to get my truck I talked to the service dept about this issue. They of course wanted me to leave the bike with them again. But as I explained, it's the freakin' weekend and I want to RIDE the damn thing!! So I guess I'll take it back to them on Monday. They seemed agreeable to fixing or replacing the speedometer at no charge. But if they're going to leave my bike out like that, I don't think I'll be using them in the future. What do y'all think???

Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 PM
bobernet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the dealer I use, they have a gated area where bikes are parked during the day while they work. Anything left overnight is brought into the bays and locked inside. I would not be very happy about it sitting out overnight (or for days) at a shop.

That aside, it's a problem if a rainstorm causes the speedo to get all wet inside.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Yves
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I wouldn't be very happy about that either. Did you let them know you weren't going to pick up the bike on Friday? Maybe they accidentally left it out there thinking you were going to be picking it up that day? Either way, the last guy to leave the dealership on the Friday night could have taken the time to roll it into the shop.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Omaha Rider
Intermediate

I'd say that a dealership that thought so little of their customer's bikes shouldn't be working on them.

That's just...amazing. Wow.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:48 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

My bike is garaged at home and I certainly don't leave it out in storms unless I happen to get caught in one. If I found out that my dealer was leaving my bike outside over night I would be pretty upset about it. Fortuniately my dealer keeps them inside and washes all bikes before the customer picks them up at no charge.

Sounds like you might need to find another dealer.

Jim

Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree that the dealership should not have left your bike out overnight but the rain shouldn't have caused the problem with your speedometer. They are designed to be ridden in the rain. It shouldn't have caused any problems. My bike gets rained on all the time when at work with out a problem.

I'm glad they are going to fix it for you and it sounds like they are trying to take care of you. Verify they have the part in stock and tell them you have no choice but to wait for it. It's an easy fix and they should be able to do it while you wait.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:07 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

when I did the 1K service they had the A/C and SERT, but pipes where BO'ed they had it for 11 days and yeap, when I found the pipes and bought elsewhere and took them to the dealer mine was parked outside and dirty as all get out, they got the pipes on and tuned it and when I went back to bring her home they didn't even wash it.. not been back since for service other than a retune it due to the pipes weren't sealed correct and had air leak.
I've only bought parts and clothing there only...

Old 06-06-2009, 11:29 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Four or five years ago when we had that tropical storm during the weekend of the Galveston rally---we got rained on all that day and one of my bikes had condensate in the speedometer. It was from sitting in the rain. I never have had that problem before but the bike was parked in the rain that day. I have been caught riding but not parked in the rain since then and not had condensate form.
Originally Posted by EdwardK
I agree that the dealership should not have left your bike out overnight but the rain shouldn't have caused the problem with your speedometer. They are designed to be ridden in the rain. It shouldn't have caused any problems. My bike gets rained on all the time when at work with out a problem.

I'm glad they are going to fix it for you and it sounds like they are trying to take care of you. Verify they have the part in stock and tell them you have no choice but to wait for it. It's an easy fix and they should be able to do it while you wait.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:46 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've worked at several bike and ATV shops in my time, and the only thing that was ever left outside overnight were jet-skis, boats, and trailers, bikes and ATV's, NEVER! That would be a deal-breaker as far as I am concerned as to whether or not to have them turn a wrench on my bike in the future.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:10 AM
frankjake
Road Master

No that is not standard practice at least at the 4 dealers I have used since I've owned Harleys. All of them keep the bikes inside at night. They might have to put them out during the day if they have a lot of bikes in for service but they are never left outside.

I would complain to the manager. I know the speedo is made to work in the rain but not a storm like you describe. I know exactly what you are talking about, we had one here just a few nights ago. It dumped so much water in a very short time.

Last edited by frankjake; 06-07-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Service bikes left outside????