General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneasy rider...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:29 PM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneasy rider...

A long road that blends with the horizon, a lone rider on his bike, only he, his bike and the road.... not!
Here in Milano, Italy you ride in some of the most crowded, traffic congested roads in the world, with dorks who ignore all the rules, most of whom aren't actually capable of driving, which is unimportant, as their main occupation is apparently speaking on the phone...
I've already risked at least half a dozen hood-hitches...
Some advice from the most road-wise and expert in riding in crowded traffic condition would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:39 PM
wideopen1967
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nowhere here in the US compares to driving in Europe. Maybe some of the brothers in the UK could give you some advice.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:44 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe trailer your bike up to Switzerland or Germany before you go riding.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no such thing as a good advice when it comes to safe driving in Italy, Greece, or around Paris. All you can do is keep your hands on the bars (it's the law anyway in Italy) and try not to **** anyone off. Italians have a funny temper, and Milano... Well.
Just shout "va fan culo", you should be fine.
Maybe prayers help a little, but I doubt it.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Juno
Banned

Originally Posted by frenchman
There is no such thing as a good advice when it comes to safe driving in Italy, Greece, or around Paris. All you can do is keep your hands on the bars (it's the law anyway in Italy) and try not to **** anyone off. Italians have a funny temper, and Milano... Well.
Just shout "va fan culo", you should be fine.
Maybe prayers help a little, but I doubt it.
Tryin to get him killed?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:14 PM
fiend138
Road Captain

I am not saying that I ride in the most congested traffic in the world but I do have to deal with my fair share while commuting. But the best advise my opinion comes from my racing background, always look for holes. As for here in the States, don't focus on the a$$ hole in the Prius with the Obama bumper sticker that just cut you off try to get around them.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the worse scooter drivers all were in Barcelona. It seemed like there were no traffic rules that applied to them.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Monochrome
Road Captain

Here in summer our county is full of tourists, people heading to the coast and lots of older local drivers and of course a lot of bikes. I try to set off early in the morning, avoid popular routes and chill to the fact I need to slow my pace. The only other advice is the usual always expect them to do the most stupid dangerous thing they can, because sooner or later one of them will. Oh and try never to get angry or frustrated as it will only put you at greater risk. I can still find enough free road to enjoy a ride just have to accept there is a lot of road I have to share at this time of year.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Antonio Dom.Rep.
Cruiser

You should see it here. When you find an empty road, you will find donkeys, horses, cows, goats, well anything that moves around. So anticipate to everything is the only way to survive. Nothing to do, just change your way of riding and seeing life as it is

Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Uneasy Rider drove Chevrolet...lets see who gets this one...I'll help you..

I was making my way out to L.A. - Tooling along in my Chevrolet - Toking on a number and digging onthe radio....

Quick Reply: Uneasy rider...