General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only comfortable in a full-face?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:16 PM
skulnbones
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only comfortable in a full-face?

This isn't a helmet debate thread, just a question for full-face helmet wearers.

I've always worn a full-face helmet without exception. I'd like to buy a half or open face, but when I tried them on I felt very uncomfortable like I was exposed or just a general unsafe feeling. Hard to describe, but I felt "insecure" if that makes sense.

Has any full-face helmet wearers experienced this and if you also wear a half or open, did this feeling go away after you began wearing the helmet?

I'd like to buy a half or open face but I'm not sure I'd wear it.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Full face is great in the rain or cold weather, but sucks when you're trying to back into a parking space.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Juno
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bell Apex is what I use.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel very claustrophobic in a full face. I would rather sell my bike and drive a car then ride with a fullface.

Back when I rode Splatbikes at 125mph on the Autobahn, I wore fullface. Now I couldn't dream of putting one back on. Breath smells, the inside gets foggy, you can''t breath well, and your head is a friken bobblehead that bounces around all over the place in the wind.

No Thank you!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

I used to be like you, until I go ta half helmet and now I am uncomfortable in a full face. Imagine that. Just give it some time and you will become comfortable.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:53 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Yellotang
I feel very claustrophobic in a full face. I would rather sell my bike and drive a car then ride with a fullface.

Back when I rode Splatbikes at 125mph on the Autobahn, I wore fullface. Now I couldn't dream of putting one back on. Breath smells, the inside gets foggy, you can''t breath well, and your head is a friken bobblehead that bounces around all over the place in the wind.

No Thank you!!!
+1!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:58 PM
billiamharley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can adapt to anything given enough time. I wear a full face all time. I wore half helmets before but with a full visor. I don't like the wind in my face. I ridden without helmets a long time ago. I always get the best helmets that fit right and have great paint jobs. I think a lot of people here that don't like full helmets just didn't get the right one; different makes and models favor certain head shapes that your parents gave you. You never know, your face make thank you if you go down the wrong way! I watched a student mess up the side of her face/head when she locked up her brakes and hit the pavement at 15 mph wearing a half helmet.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I am used to a FF now, I use to wear beanies and 1/2's and even 3/4 helmets. But I know if I ever go down and the crash doesnt kill me at least I wont be uglier to look at from the face plant.
I have a flip up which I ride with the shield up so I get the air on my face which takes away the claustrophobic feeling. As far as backing up or sitting still in the heat, I flip up the helmet.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:10 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Talking

Originally Posted by billiamharley
I don't like the wind in my face. . You never know, your face make thank you if you go down the wrong way! .
WHAT???...thats the most enjoyable part of riding for me!!..cant get that with your head stuck in a box...:>)..also,If I worried about crashing that much,I would stay home.....'different strokes'...:>)

Old 06-21-2009, 02:12 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by yellotang
i feel very claustrophobic in a full face. I would rather sell my bike and drive a car then ride with a fullface.

Back when i rode splatbikes at 125mph on the autobahn, i wore fullface. Now i couldn't dream of putting one back on. Breath smells, the inside gets foggy, you can''t breath well, and your head is a friken bobblehead that bounces around all over the place in the wind.

No thank you!!!
------ +2 -------

Quick Reply: Only comfortable in a full-face?