General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out of state motorcycle purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:01 PM
blk07dynasb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default out of state motorcycle purchase

I am in GA for business and decided to stop by a local (GA) dealership and found out they are offering $3500 to $4000 off on 2009 touring bikes. I am a resident of CA. My question is, Can I buy a bike in GA and register in CA ? and how much would the emission cost to install ? local (CA) dealers are offering discounts(maybe $500 to $1000), but not this much. I would be saving at least $3000. Additionally, colors choices here in GA is much better than CA and have a lot more in stock. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can help you part of your question. I purchased my bike out of state, and was able to register it in my home state. Be prepared to pay your Home State.......State tax when you try and get your plates for the Bike.

As far as cost of putting on CA emission equipment, I would suggest that you call a CA dealer and ask that question. You won't be the first person needing to have that installed.

Respects,
Ed

Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

In California you can purchase a vehicle out of state but cannot bring it into the state until it has 7,500 miles on the vehicle. There are some other requirements, but that is the big one. You can call the CA DMV to get the exact requirements.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM
deepspace
Banned

It'll cost you. California will not make it easy or cheap for you to buy a bike out of state. It's California.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:22 PM
DHinsSC
Intermediate
Default location?

Which dealer did you see those discounts at? It might be worth the drive.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought out of state, they gave me temporary plate. Had to show insurance.Rode bike home than registered. Don't know about emission .

Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No can do my friend. Aready been down that road before myself. I spoke to DMV and also CARB and the bottom line is you cannot legally purchase the bike and register it here in CA. Just not going to happen. The 7500 mile rule option only pertains to used, motorcycles and it must have 7500 miles on it from the date of purchase. In other words, you can't buy a bike with 5k miles on it, drive it home and register it with DMV after you've accumulated 7500 miles on it. What's even worse is that if you (CA resident) bring a "foreign vehicle" (words of CARB) in to the state, if it does not meet the requirement specified above, you will have 30 days to "export" the bike out of the state of CA.....or......OR......are you ready for this? Or.....the bike can be confiscated and DESTROYED by a crusher. This is no BS. I verified it for myself. I also happen to know somebody who owned an '82 Ferrari BB 512 (back in the day) which was confiscated because it was grey market and didn't meet EPA smog regs. The car was impounded and scheduled to be crushed. No lie. He saved his car from the crusher and had the car federalized so it was legal to own and operate in CA. Anyway...just thought I'd let you know so that you don't waste any time or money on this. By the way, the state has zero liability if your bike is confiscated and destroyed (from what I was told).

Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

^^^^^ and WTF is so great about livin in California I ask???? Hehe!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 PM
keirmc
Intermediate

this link to CA DMV will get you started on what the rules and regs are.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by electricstart
I bought out of state, they gave me temporary plate. Had to show insurance.Rode bike home than registered. Don't know about emission .
Either your bike had 7500 or more miles on it (from date of purchase) or you are not a resident of CA. Am I correct?

Quick Reply: out of state motorcycle purchase