General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Training Wheels for Motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:58 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seen something like them on a Goldwing before. An old--old gentleman was riding it. I thought it was cool. He stated that he wasn't as stable catching the weight of the bike when stopping anymore but didn't want to give up riding. I liked the video. Rides and banks like two wheel but looked stable as a three wheeler. Might extend the riding lifetime of some here. In the wind is in the wind.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

There has been a company around for quite some time called Voyager I believe. They run two outrigger wheels in line with the rear axle. I have heard them say that they take a few hours to set up initially, but after that they are quick on and off.

Most of the people I have seen with them either have a physical limitation, or are just starting to ride and wouldn't be riding without an aid. Not my cup of tea, nor are trikes, but my physical capabilities are still all intact.

In my opinion, it it helps someone ride, or keeps someone riding that otherwise couldn't, they're a good idea.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:12 PM
turxile
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Seen something like them on a Goldwing before. An old--old gentleman was riding it. I thought it was cool. He stated that he wasn't as stable catching the weight of the bike when stopping anymore but didn't want to give up riding. I liked the video. Rides and banks like two wheel but looked stable as a three wheeler. Might extend the riding lifetime of some here. In the wind is in the wind.
The Goldwing ones were first used in Japan a few years ago. I remember reading they were quite popular on BMW 1200GS bikes, which are quite high. Mainly for use at stand still, so when you come at a stop the stabilisers come down and you don't have to put your feet down. I actually think it's quite a good idea. Keeps your feet dry

Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

to all of us without physical handicaps those look stupid and to those us that have handicaps they look like the best thing in the world

Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one older gentleman (80's) has them, looks weird coming down the road. But glad the old feller can still ride

Old 08-30-2009, 01:05 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I had a friend in Brownwood Texas that had those xtra wheels
and just for fun I called them training wheels and he grawled
back "OUT RIGGERS" he was a good friend R. I. P.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:24 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

I have seen many at the rally's I have gone to. The folk's riding them, for the most part, did not appear to have disabilities IMO.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:31 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Heck, If thats what it takes to still be riding into my 90's. I'm all for em.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Badasstrike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into this type of set up before I bought the trike. For me, I needed something that's a permenent set up instead of a bolt on kit. It is a good quick fix for someone that needs the stability, plus you can take it off in about 15 minutes if you want.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:44 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DamifIknow
to all of us without physical handicaps those look stupid and to those us that have handicaps they look like the best thing in the world
Exactly what I was thinking. Again, whatever blows your skirt up. Just had never seen these before. Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate the ingenuity of them.

Quick Reply: Training Wheels for Motorcycles?