General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about selling a financed bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about selling a financed bike

My wife bought a '07 Sportster last year and now she's decided that she would rather sit on the back of mine instead. Because of this, she's wanting to sell it, but since it's financed, I'm not sure what will be the best way to do it. I contemplated selling it on consignment, but they're going to take 15% (almost $900 in this case) and I'd rather not have to go that route. Aside from ponying up the cash and paying it off myself so I'll have the title in-hand, what other ways are there to handle this?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

That's why I always tell new riders to buy a cheap off shore bike first to be sure they like riding first,I get poopawed alot but saves alot of issues down the road.Put it on ebay,the buyer can work it out through the lender.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Two possible options.

Keep it for you to ride around town and save wear and tear on your other bike.

Find someone locally that will take over payments. You'll have to get approval from the finance company for that to happen.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:43 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you can sell it have the person pay for it give him a receipt and provide the title in a few days Thats what car dealers do

Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna07custom
you can sell it have the person pay for it give him a receipt and provide the title in a few days Thats what car dealers do

Would you ride off on a Harley without a signed title in your hand when dealing with a individual? A receipt doesn't mean squat, and isn't even legal evidence of ownership in a lot of States.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you do, directly involve your finance agent to make sure you end up good with them.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Double3
Tourer

You sell it to someone and then you pay it off and give them the title.

You sell it to someone and they get a loan. Their bank pays off the amount of the loan and you get a check for whatever over it is. Your bank sends the title to the other bank.

Its really hard.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
YZ Guy
Tourer

Once you have a buyer call the finance company. Inform them you are selling the bike. Make arrangements for the title to be sent to a local bank. Have the buyer meet you at the bank. Buyer puts up his money, if you are selling at a loss you put up the difference and the buyer gets the title. It actually sounds worse than it is, banks do it all the time.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

have the buyer show up when your bank is open. Pay off the bike with both of you present, get title from the banker, sign away your part of the title, give the new owner the title. Done deal.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Romark
Road Master

If you financed it at a local bank, arrange for the buyer to meet you there for the transaction. The bank will make sure all is well. I bought a boat this summer and that is what we did. Worked out sweet. The buyer doesn't have to worry about the title if you are out of the equation.

If you end up selling it for less than you owe, you will have to come up with the difference right there or else get a personal loan. Otherwise the title won't be clear.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Questions about selling a financed bike