General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to this all

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Lchoke
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to this all

hello every1,
i am 20 and have decided i want to start cycleing...but i have a bunch of questions as you can immagine.
first...where do i start? ive never drivin or even rode on a bike?
second...starter bike? i want a Harley of course but i know there expensive i dont wanna buy junk though so what should i look for?
third...learning how to ride lol??!?!?!?
this is all i can think of for now any help or words of wisdom?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
piggy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

GOES TO make POPCORN< this could get interesting.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

1st-Start with taking the "Riders Edge" or other MSF course.
2nd- Different model HDs will ride differently, after you have your license, go find a dealer that is doing demo days and try a couple different models.
You might think about buying a used one to get some experience and until you know what you like and don't like.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Go take the MSF course to get some idea about riding a bike.

2. Starter bike or Harley? Your choice. You'll get differing opinions. Since you're new, you can take MSF course(as mentioned in #1) and go buy a smaller(600 cc or above bike) to practice on. Or you can buy a used H-D to do the same. Only thing is, you'll not be out as much if you buy a starter bike and drop it a couple of times while learning to ride.

Also, what kind of style do you want for riding? Touring kind of platform or the cruiser type? H-D makes both as do some of the metric bike makers.

3. Learning to ride? Practice....practice....practice. Go through residential areas and back roads with less traffic to get used to it. Go to a big parking lot on a Sunday a.m. before it gets busy and practice some more. Don't plan on taking someone for a ride until you are comfortable with the bike and your skills.

I started in 2001 on a Dyna Low Rider and had not ridden in over 15 yrs. I then got a Road King that same year and have since traded up to an Electra Glide Classic.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 PM
sixareborn
Advanced

all good replys above...me personally am buying an Iron 883 for my first bike, and have been told buy a few people "oh well you will want something bigger in a couple months"...Its all just want you want and what you can afford, but the first step is going the MSF course, that should get you in the right direction....

Old 09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

1) Buy a bike.
2) Buy a set of Hockey Goalie pads.
3) Find a big empty open area preferably with dirt or grass.
3a) Put on the pads.
4) Start the bike, put it in gear and have some fun.

***You might want to buy something small and cheap if you go this route. Otherwise you should take some kind of a riders course.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:27 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Definitely take the MSF course, it's more than worth it, especially for someone with no riding experience. You'll be a better student to teach cause you can learn the right way to ride without a lot of bad habits that people who think can ride already have developed.

I would suggest a used bike to start out, maybe even something other than Harley, to get some time in. Better to get all the stupid little things out of the way on a cheap bike. Nothing worse than laying down a nice, shiny, beautiful Harley in your driveway cause you lost your balance! Not that I would know!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Dirt Bike and spend a couple of years in the woods...

Old 09-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Lchoke
Stage III
Old 09-21-2009, 01:43 PM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

Take the MSF course first before you start looking for a bike. It sounds like you don't have anyone close to you to ask questions, or you wouldn't be asking them here. The bike you posted from Craigslist could be a bargain or a nightmare. If it needs new tires or any mechanical work, you could be in for another grand to get teh work done. You might not even like riding, so you could get stuck with it. THe MSF or Rider's Edge courses are great - you'll learn a lot. Who knows, you may be a natural at riding. But if you're not, you'll be crashing someone else's bike (and they expect it, so no big deal). Then, once you learn, you can start looking for a bike. Make some friends at the course and they'll help you find something. (I'm sure the instructors would as well). Learn first, then worry about what kind of bike to get.

Quick Reply: new to this all