General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatality Statistic

Old 09-24-2009, 08:30 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatality Statistic

I'm curious if there is a statistic regarding motorcycle fatalities in regards to type of motorcycle. I guess you could break it down to just a few types and I'm talking about road bikes so that leaves out a few types.

I guess the ones I'm wondering about is the comparison between Cruiser types and Crotch Rocket types. Now common sense would tell you that the Crotch type is going to have a higher incidence of fatality, but how much?

Just curious if there is a stat out there that is accessible.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would venture a guess and say the type of bike has nothing to do with the rate. I bet it's spread pretty evenly between the different style of bikes. Most motorcycle deaths aren't caused by the rider.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 PM
plane
Road Captain

shu, I'm not going to believe that until I see the stats. That is if there is any stats.

It would seem to me that a motorcycle with a high amount of power is going to get you into trouble more often than our anemic Harley type bikes (VRods excluded).

I mean how many times have you been driving down the road at the speed limit and have a GROUP of 'crotchers' rip by you so fast you didn't even see them coming? I can say more than a few times and it scares the crap outta me each time.

Are insurance rates higher for a 'crotcher'? If they is then there IS a statistic.

Last edited by plane; 09-24-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 PM
DHart
Tourer

It does seem to me from observation that crotch rockets are ridden much faster and much more aggressively than cruisers are. But also, crotch rockets are also ridden for much shorter durations/miles than crusiers are.

We ride our bikes all day long going for long day and weekend trips. I think most crotch rocket riders are burned out riding after just an hour or so... so for this reason, cruiser exposure is probably much greater even though we tend to ride less aggressively. My 2 cents, anyway.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:33 AM
plane
Road Captain

Good comeback DHart, but I could also say that the short rides of the 'crotcher' means you have to do most of your riding in town where intersections wait to cream yo a$$...whereas our long rides take us on Freeways and long stretches of much milder forms of danger.

I do know that most of the accidents occur where intersections reside.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 AM
DHart
Tourer

Originally Posted by plane
Good comeback DHart, but I could also say that the short rides of the 'crotcher' means you have to do most of your riding in town where intersections wait to cream yo a$$...whereas our long rides take us on Freeways and long stretches of much milder forms of danger.

I do know that most of the accidents occur where intersections reside.
Your observations are probably correct as well.

Funny thing... I vividly remember talking to a crotch rocket rider years ago, mentioning that I was going to go for a ride that would take all day long... he looked at me with a really surprised look and indicated surprise that anyone would/could ride a motorcycle all day long!!!

I guess if you ride aggressively, leaning waaay forward with your feet two feet behind you and much of your weight bearing on your arms, and your head held low, making it difficult to look ahead comfortably for very long, you might be surprised that anyone would ride all day long... perhaps they just don't understand how comfortable it is to ride upright on a cruiser.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 AM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-25-2009, 01:01 AM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some too:

Supersports Motorcycles
These are racing bikes modified for street use, and are light weight with aerodynamic styling. They have more horsepower than other types, being able to travel as fast as 190 mph.

They are most popular with riders younger than 30.

Riders of Supersports bikes sustain deaths nearly four times as often as riders of other types of bike.
They made up nine percent of bike registrations in 2005.
There were 22.5 rider deaths per 10,000 registered bikes.
In contrast, there were only 10.7 deaths per 10,000 registered bikes for other sports models.
Riders of supersports models sustained fatal injuries at the youngest average age (27 years) of all motorcycle types. In contrast, riders of other sports models were 34 years old on average.
Speed was a factor in 57 percent of fatal accidents. In contrast speed was a factor in only 46 percent of fatal crashes involving other sports models.

Standards and Cruisers
These bikes with upright handlebars appear to be safer on the roads. In 2005 they constituted 51 percent of bike registrations.

Standards tallied 5.7 rider deaths per 10,000 registered bikes
Cruisers tallied 6.5 such deaths
The average age of fatally injured riders was 44 years
Speed was a factor in 27 percent of fatal crashes

Touring Bikes
Touring bikes appear to be the safest type and attract the oldest group of riders. The average age for accident deaths was 51 years in 2005. In those fatal crashes, speed was a factor in 22 percent.

Statistics like these are not necessarily predictive, but they are suggestive. If you recognize yourself in one of these categories, perhaps you could take some safety measures to try and lower your likelihood of being injured.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:03 AM
plane
Road Captain

Wow, your second link really speaks volumes...Thanks!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:56 AM
stick_hd
Cruiser

Heres some insurance rates for you. In 2004 I purchased a brand new hayabusa. Full coverage through proggresive was $4600/yr. My 09 Harley is $500/yr for full coverage. Big difference huh? I'm 26 with a clean driving record.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fatality Statistic