General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Shadow RS vs. HD Sportster 883

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Honda Shadow RS vs. HD Sportster 883

While surfing the web I ran across a couple articles on a new bike that Honda has developed called the Shadow RS. Being a motorcycle enthusiast, I clicked on the links and read about this new bike. I must say, judging from the photos Honda has developed a really nice classic looking Standard.

In looking at the photos, it's clear to see that Honda clearly relied on the Sportster for it's design influence, because their new bike has many similiarites to the Sportster. Not surprising, HD's are the most copied motorcycles in the world. You can judge for yourself by viewing the links below. Anyway I was reading the specs on the bike....750cc, fuel injection, etc, etc. Then I came to the price....$7799. WHAT! Are you kidding me? A Sportster 883 Low starts at $6999. I thought to myself, "what are they thinking?" The Sportster is the genuine article, not some look alike and it's $700. cheaper. Not to mention the Sportster has a bigger engine (883 vs. 750).

I'm not in a market for another bike at the moment, but if I was I certainly wouldn't pay more for a Honda when I could have a Harley for less. That's just nuts! Of all the Sportster models, my favorite would have to be the Iron 883 which sells for $7999. Again not that it matters, because I'm not in the market but seriously who does Honda think their foolin'?

What do you think?

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...ow_rs%2010.htm

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/623/50...irst-Look.aspx

Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
qwispichkn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should buy one, and let us know how you like it.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

It's not a bad looking bike. It's copied right off the Sportster after all!

Being a Honda, I'm sure it'll run good, maybe better than the Sportster in spite of it's displacement disadvantage. At least that wouldn't surprise me but it's yet to be proven. We'll see! It'll probably be dirt reliable for way longer than most people will ever keep it, but as you said, with a smaller engine and $700 (actually $800!) higher price, what would be the point.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

To each their own!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Dragan
Tourer

I think there are a lot of "non-Harley" riders out there with the impression that Harley=$$$$, where Japanese bikes give more bang for less bucks. While the argument is accurate to a point, it isn't true across the entire Harley lineup, and the Sportster being the best example.
Honda's likely betting on the fact that the vast majority of buyers in the market for a smallish cruiser will do little or no research on what is available in their price range, and simply start shopping with what is advertised the most. Honda has always been pretty aggressive in their marketing, and they sell a lot of cars and bikes because of it.
Would I change to a Honda from a Sportster? NO. They're great bikes; I've owned a bunch of them over the years, and the longest trip I've ever made on a bike was on a Honda 750 (circumnavigated the continental US and most of the rideable coastlines of Canada). Even if the Honda was priced $700 LESS than the sportster, I wouldn't trade. But; there are probably more die-hard Honda owners than there are Harley owners, and they will sell them, and they will sell a lot of them. Nature of the beast

Old 12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I would have go with an 883 over that little Honda for the $$.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:27 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Default the shadow

I've had two Hondas over the years that I bought new and sold them both for almost as much as I paid for them. Never one bit of trouble. Mainly I'd put gas in them and ride. If you like wrenchin' don't get a Honda.

I ride an '09 fxd and I'm thinking about a second inexpensive bike to mess around on and keep at our weekend getaway place. I've been looking hard at that Honda Phantom 750. Design wise it kinda looks like a Bobber in ALOT of ways and I like it.

Honda has an ad on the internet...a clip where there designers talk about what americans want and how their design team has worked to supply it. They use the word....Bobber. Honda's got a chopper now, too.

Honda's gonna get that market and in a way it's a shame. Take a look at what Succer Punch Sally's is putting out...Killer designs, great bikes but on the expensive side...

Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 462 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
At least that wouldn't surprise me but it's yet to be proven.
The 750 Honda V Twin, has been around for several years.... dead solid reliable powerplant.... The 750 Spirit, has been compared to the 883 for at least the past 7 years.... and face it... the 750 was made in the 883's image....

Now Honda, has gotten this bug up their ****, and boosted the price to, and in this case BEYOND the price of the competition..... dunno WHAT they are thinking over there.

Yamaha (star)came out with a nice bike the Raider... @1700 cc, and it's a DARN good bike... Honda counters with the Fury...1300 cc for the same price.

Last edited by skootchnc; 12-16-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Dead ringer for a sportser!!! Honda makes a nice machine, they're just not for me.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It still isn't a Harley , plain and simple !

Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least it's not a girl's bike.

(ducking)

Quick Reply: Honda Shadow RS vs. HD Sportster 883